RealCowboyfan

Championship
Reaction score
John McCargo

188562.jpeg

DEFENSIVE TACKLE

JOHN MCCARGO MEASURABLES Height: 6-1
fraction_1-2.gif
Weight: 302 40-yard dash: 5.16 10-yard dash: 1.71 20-yard shuttle: 4.48 60-yard shuttle: Broad jump: 9-2 225-lb. bench: 25 3-cone drill: 7.79 Vertical jump: 30
fraction_1-2.gif
Wonderlic: 20-yard dash: 2.90

-Strengths: He's a one-gap penetrating type of defensive tackle prospect. He will fit best as a three-technique in the NFL. He shows very good initial burst out of his stance. Fires out low and with good initial power. He shows the consistent ability to penetrate and does a decent job of finding the ball once he gets through the line of scrimmage. He has good speed and overall mobility for his position. Can change directions and will pursue from behind. He is disruptive versus the run and pass. Has upside as a pass rusher if he can improve his ability to use his hands and get off of blocks. He is an intelligent and hard-working player. Was a good student in college and shows a lot of maturity for his age.

Weaknesses: He is undersized. He lacks ideal height and possesses marginal bulk. He plays with a narrow base and does not show the ability to anchor versus the run. He will get pushed around by bigger linemen that lock onto his body and he struggles to hold his ground when teams run at him. He has good penetrating skills versus the run but needs to improve his array of pass rush moves in order to contribute in that facet in the NFL. He gets a lot of pressure on quarterbacks because of his ability to penetrate quickly, but he does not show ideal closing burst to finish. Durability is also a concern after missing final five regular-season games due to stress fracture to left foot suffered vs. Wake Forest. The injury required surgery and several weeks of rehabilitation.

Overall: McCargo redshirted in 2002 before taking over as a fulltime starter in 2003, when he started all 13 games at DT and finished with 52 total tackles, 14 tackles for loss, 16 QB pressures and three sacks. He was an Academic All-ACC in 2004, when he started 10 of the 11 games he played and finished with 47 tackles, five TFL and 12 QB pressures. McCargo started all six games that he played in as a junior in 2005 but missed five others due to a stress fracture injury to his left foot that required surgery. Despite missing nearly half of the season, he still finished with 35 tackles, 10 TFL, seven QB pressures and one sack in 2005. McCargo was a surprise addition to the early-entry crop in this year's draft. He was completely overshadowed playing on an N.C. State defensive line that included the likes of Mario Williams and Manny Lawson. While McCargo is nowhere near the same caliber player, he was an impact starter in his own right when healthy. McCargo lacks ideal size and will never be able to consistently hold his ground versus the run. However, he has some upside for teams employing a one-gap, up-the-field type of defensive line scheme. McCargo returned to play in the season-finale as a junior, which helped to ease concerns regarding his foot injury. In our opinion, McCargo warrants consideration late on Day 1 of the 2006 draft.-espn.com

Profile::
http://gopack.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/mccargo_john00.html

Information::
http://www.altavista.com/web/results?itag=ody&q=John+McCargo&kgs=1&kls=0

RealCowboyfan

Championship
Reaction score
http://sports-att.espn.go.com/nfl/index?&lpos=globalnav&lid=gn_NFL_NFL

He isn't the most heralded defensive line prospect at North Carolina State, but tackle John McCargo, often overshadowed by the Wolfpack's heralded end tandem of Mario Williams and Manny Lawson, isn't quite an unknown, either, to NFL scouts.
McCargo's ascent up draft boards continued this week with a strong performance at the school's pro day workouts, and his audition certainly enhanced the chances that North Carolina State will have three defensive linemen selected in the first round next month. Williams, of course, is a sure bet, an edge player and upfield rusher regarded by many scouts as the premier defensive player in the draft. Lawson is also a pass-rush threat, an outside defender with great explosiveness and closing speed who might best project to linebacker in a 3-4 front.
i_mccargo_195.jpg

Peyton Williams/Icon SMI
John McCargo was an early-entry after playing three seasons at NC State.

But the hard-working McCargo, who has fully recovered from a stress fracture in his left foot that sidelined him for five games in 2005, is definitely on the rise. Several scouts now list him as the third-best prospect at tackle, behind only Haloti Ngata of Oregon and Florida State's Brodrick Bunkley. And unlike those two, McCargo is more a one-gap player, capable of compressing the pocket from the inside.
"My game has always been about quickness," McCargo said shortly after a pro day workout in which he clocked a 4.94 in the 40. "I really didn't start playing football until the ninth grade and didn't get serious about it until around my junior year [in high school]. But I was a good baseball player and a pretty good basketball player, and some of the traits from those sports, like hand-eye coordination, things like that, kind of carried over onto the football field and helped me a lot."
Scouts agree that one of McCargo's strong suits is his effective use of his hands, often an oversight by young defenders. Watch him on tape, though, and McCargo's hand speed, and ability to get into a blocker's body, is nearly as impressive as his first step forward. That said, McCargo, an underclass prospect, still is very quick off the ball and keeps his feet moving nicely, even when engaged with an opponent.
At a shade under 6-foot-2 and 305 pounds, McCargo isn't as bulky as some of the other tackle prospects in the 2006 draft class. But several franchises, particularly those seeking a one-gap tackle, have now moved him ahead of players such as Michigan's Gabe Watson, Miami's Orien Harris and Texas' Rodrique Wright. Two general managers asked this week about McCargo had him graded in the lower third of the first round, and acknowledged his stock is rising.
"He's a little different than most of the other [tackles]," one general manager said. "Different in a good sort of way because, if you want the upfield guy and not just the run stuffer, there aren't many tackles like him in this year's draft."
An Academic All-American, and an avid but late-blooming student of the game who is now trying to make up for lost time, McCargo understands that Williams and Lawson, flashier players who merit attention by putting the quarterback on the ground, are going to garner most of the headlines. But he understands, too, that there is a place in the NFL for a guy like himself, a hard-working tackle who has made himself into a player and who will soon reap the rewards. "It never bothered me that people talked so much about Mario and Manny because, I mean, those guys are incredible players," McCargo said. "Playing out on the edge, making big plays in space, you're naturally going to be drawn to those guys. But I was doing some good things, too, inside, and I think the scouts who have done their homework understand that."

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
hes like glover that he might be undersized...but glover was strong as a bull

if glover didnt fit in dallas as a DT i dont see any way that he would with the 3-4

RealCowboyfan

Championship
Reaction score
Future 585 said:
hes like glover that he might be undersized...but glover was strong as a bull

if glover didnt fit in dallas as a DT i dont see any way that he would with the 3-4

Im saying this dude is bigger and he's an excellent pass-rusher... we should draft him in the third...

Pottsville Maroons

Reaction score
Two general managers asked this week about McCargo had him graded in the lower third of the first round, and acknowledged his stock is rising.

we should draft him in the third...

I guess anything is possible with the way guys rise and fall in the Draft.

I am wondering if Dallas is trying to convince themselves that Pepper is an adequate rotational guy at DT for this season. Not saying that he isn't or can't be, just wondering. I always thought that was one of the benefits of the 3-4 Defense, that you could get later round picks/UDFAs to perform well as down linemen, at least in a rotation.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
RealCowboyfan said:
Im saying this dude is bigger and he's an excellent pass-rusher... we should draft him in the third...
We don't need a pass-rusher at NT. We need a runstopping tub of lard (with muscle of course).

Justis

Reaction score
I like relatively smaller pluggers at about 300-310. Guys like Ferguson who force blockers to pick them up are more effective than hefty 350 lb guys that kinda get in the way of blockers.

RealCowboyfan

Championship
Reaction score
Justis said:
I like relatively smaller pluggers at about 300-310. Guys like Ferguson who force blockers to pick them up are more effective than hefty 350 lb guys that kinda get in the way of blockers.

Well he still have a chance to gain weight..

Justis

Reaction score
RealCowboyfan said:
Well he still have a chance to gain weight..
true, I was actually just stating a preference. As a whole I'd rather let this stay on the back burner of the draft. I would like our first day to be Linebacker, Safety, Tackle. Then pickup our NT in the 5th.

RealCowboyfan

Championship
Reaction score
theogt said:
RCF, hilarious avatar.

lol I know.. what RCF means?

Justis said:
true, I was actually just stating a preference. As a whole I'd rather let this stay on the back burner of the draft. I would like our first day to be Linebacker, Safety, Tackle. Then pickup our NT in the 5th.

This is a interesting prospect that really could fit the shoes of a bigger La'Roi Glover. If Pacells could teach him the fundamentals of being a D-Tackle we could really have a pro-bowler and a future hall of famer down the line.

This kid explodes into Quarterbacks ....

SupermanXx

Benched
Reaction score
RealCowboyfan said:
I feel special having my name turned into a intial...:laugh1:

Yeah well by the looks of the face that signifies you're laughing, I'd say you are pretty special.. enough to ride the short bus.

seriously how is that a laughing face? looks like someone doing 20 tabs of mescaline while sitting in a room full of cement glue fumes

RealCowboyfan

Championship
Reaction score
SupermanXx said:
Yeah well by the looks of the face that signifies you're laughing, I'd say you are pretty special.. enough to ride the short bus.

seriously how is that a laughing face? looks like someone doing 20 tabs of mescaline while sitting in a room full of cement glue fumes

lmao... what are you a proffesional comedian... you're a funny a joke... :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Atleast I didn't name myself by a E-Pill...

jrumann59

Reaction score
Kind of slow to be a La Roi Replacement. I am willing to bet La Roi runs a 4.8-4.9 40yd dash. His 10yd dash is pretty good and his shuttle is average to above average. Cone drill is ok but not spectacular. Also I think he is little on the smalish size for a 3-4

RealCowboyfan

Championship
Reaction score
jrumann59 said:
Kind of slow to be a La Roi Replacement. I am willing to bet La Roi runs a 4.8-4.9 40yd dash. His 10yd dash is pretty good and his shuttle is average to above average. Cone drill is ok but not spectacular. Also I think he is little on the smalish size for a 3-4

No one said he has to have the exact speed of Glover or even be as strong as glover.

But we need someone that could be a force...

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
RealCowboyfan said:

Uhhh, no... though he might be bigger than Glover, he's like La'Roi in that he's not well-suited at ALL for NT... you dont' need an excellent pass-rusher at that position, what you need is a guy who can clog up the middle, who can command a double team...

McCargo is best suited for a 4-3 DT role, and the Cowboys are moving inexorably away from that...

It's right that you should be worrying about a backup for Ferguson, the Boys are razor thin at NT, but you should be focusing on NT types...