Twitter: Larry Allen/Reggie White throwback

Creeper

Reaction score
Allen was lunging at White. Bad technique. He was not as good at tackle as he was a guard.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
There is nothing embarrassing about Reggie White doing that to you.

I mean, it's Reggie White for crying out loud.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
I still remember Erik Williams destroying Reggie White

And this actually looked worse than it was. Larrys momentum did most of the work for Reggie there
That's what made Reggie so great. He had two main moves that looked almost the same, right up till the end, but we're opposites. An inside move and an outside move. If you were bracing for the wrong one this (the tweet) is what would happen. Reggie was a phenom.

But yeah, Big E had his number till Reggie cried about the hand to the face.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
There’s a Larry Allen video I’ve been searching for and I haven’t been able to locate it. It was a MNF in 1999 against the Vikings and Emmitt had over 140 yards in the first half. If memory serves me correctly, Smith broke a Walter Payton record. Unfortunately, Emmitt got hurt and left the game in the second quarter. On one play, Larry Allen pushed 5 guys like he was pushing a sliding door open, and it gave Emmitt the largest hole I’ve ever seen to run through.

Does anyone recall that play?

I would like to see this as well

I remember that game. I thought it was basically a guarantee that ES was going to break the single game record... Then he got hurt.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Reggie was the greatest DLman ever.I think he was the greatest defensive player ever.No offense LT.

Most have LT ranked in the top five all time greatest players. He was the most disruptive defensive player I ever saw. However Reggie White was a tremendous player.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
That's what made Reggie so great. He had two main moves that looked almost the same, right up till the end, but we're opposites. An inside move and an outside move. If you were bracing for the wrong one this (the tweet) is what would happen. Reggie was a phenom.

But yeah, Big E had his number till Reggie cried about the hand to the face.
Big E owned Reggie.

SackMaster

Reaction score
No NFL player, no matter how great, makes it through a career without a few embarrassing plays.
Pfft ... If EVERY:
  • pass is not perfect
  • throw is not caught
  • run does not go for 10+ yards
  • block does not pancake 3+ defenders
  • opposing QB is not sacked on 3rd and Long
  • errant throw is not intercepted
  • kick is not made
  • punt is not downed inside the 5 yard line
  • coach does not call the perfect play 100%+ of the time
  • draft pick is not a future HOFer
  • free agent signed is not a Top-Tier player
Not only are they terrible players / coaches / owner, they are also despicable human beings who do not deserve to breath the same air as us PERFECT Fans.
:facepalm::muttley:

terra

Reaction score
Allen was lunging at White. Bad technique. He was not as good at tackle as he was a guard.
He would have made the HOF at tackle as well; but at guard he was arguably the best ever.

terra

Reaction score
I love Larry Allen, but Reggie White is one of he very few players in history that was better that his position than Allen was at his.
Wrong.

There are a several DE's that are mentioned in the same breath as White.

Maybe only one or two with LA.

Problem is a DE is going to have a lot of spalsh plays; lots of plays that get attention. A guard will not. That is why you have this mistaken idea.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Wrong.

There are a several DE's that are mentioned in the same breath as White.

Maybe only one or two with LA.

Problem is a DE is going to have a lot of spalsh plays; lots of plays that get attention. A guard will not. That is why you have this mistaken idea.
I believe that if we took this discussion outside of the Cowboys realm most people would believe that Reggie White was better at his position than Larry Allen was at his.

That's not a knock on Larry Allen at all. They both are inner circle HOFers, but Reggie White is Reggie White.