Larry Brown on KTCK 1310AM Cowboys Post Game: QB Roster Suggestions

Doctor32

Hi-Definition Warrior
Reaction score
Larry Brown said the Cowboys should release Brad Johnson an re-sign Richard Bartel to be the #3. The Cowboys should continue to develop their own young backup QBs ala Tony Romo. He said that Garrett told him off the record that Bartel had the skill sets to be a legitimate #2 QB in the league at some point. They decided to let him go because they thought Brad Johnson's experience was much more valuable for this season.
I personally thought Bartel showed something in the Minnesota and Denver pre-season games.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
At this point why not give Bartel a shot? We've already seen that Bollinger can't really get it done, and that the league has passed up Brad Johnson.

Aikbach

Reaction score
casmith07;2395051 said:
At this point why not give Bartel a shot? We've already seen that Bollinger can't really get it done, and that the league has passed up Brad Johnson.
Warren Beatty played a quarterback once, that's good enough for me, put him in.

cowboyz

Reaction score
i wasn't really a fan of bartel. but you gotta cut brad now.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
Bartel....... We have really sank low.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Richard Bartel saves us. I knew it. Go ahead and do it, but forgive me if I don't see it as a solution to anything.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Hostile;2395160 said:
Richard Bartel saves us. I knew it. Go ahead and do it, but forgive me if I don't see it as a solution to anything.

that is not what was said at all, not by any stretch.

It is about the mindset and the strive to be better down the road.

Young qbs take time. All that was said was he could be a number 2 in the future.

That is far from saying he will save us.

And like laufenberg said twice yesterday, you have to draft them, multiple qbs to have a shot at finding something.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
who cares the QB issue doesn't matter once Romo goes back....we should wait till the off seaosn to get a QB.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
theebs;2395181 said:
that is not what was said at all, not by any stretch.

It is about the mindset and the strive to be better down the road.

Young qbs take time. All that was said was he could be a number 2 in the future.

That is far from saying he will save us.

And like laufenberg said twice yesterday, you have to draft them, multiple qbs to have a shot at finding something.
We will address backup QB in the off season. Currently there is not a viable solution that makes sense. That is all I am saying. I can't stand Brad Johnson. I never liked the signing from day 1. Did not like Bollinger either. Remember when I was wanting Beck, McCown, or Simms at the end of the pre-season?

Panic in the middle of the season is counter productive. Bartel is not everything Brad Johnson isn't. I like him better and if we do it will have no problem with it.

It isn't a solution.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Hostile;2395191 said:
We will address backup QB in the off season. Currently there is not a viable solution that makes sense. That is all I am saying. I can't stand Brad Johnson. I never liked the signing from day 1. Did not like Bollinger either. Remember when I was wanting Beck, McCown, or Simms at the end of the pre-season?

Panic in the middle of the season is counter productive. Bartel is not everything Brad Johnson isn't. I like him better and if we do it will have no problem with it.

It isn't a solution.

I dont think the issue is whether it is a solution or not, the issue is this organization making bad decisions. You would think having tony romo would have taught them something, but they still release matt moore, now I know glenn and newman were banged up, but it is hard to find qbs, especially inexpensive ones.

It just is a signal, to me of the bad decisions this organization is making again. And I dont see it changing. IF there are smart voices on the staff and personell department they get squashed by the honcho. Not that brad is his fault alone.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
theebs;2395209 said:
I dont think the issue is whether it is a solution or not, the issue is this organization making bad decisions. You would think having tony romo would have taught them something, but they still release matt moore, now I know glenn and newman were banged up, but it is hard to find qbs, especially inexpensive ones.

It just is a signal, to me of the bad decisions this organization is making again. And I dont see it changing. IF there are smart voices on the staff and personell department they get squashed by the honcho. Not that brad is his fault alone.
They tried twice to get John Beck, and the asking price was too high. The team is aware it has a logn term need for a viable backup QB to develop.

There weren't many options.

Deep_South

Reaction score
Hostile;2395222 said:
They tried twice to get John Beck, and the asking price was too high. The team is aware it has a logn term need for a viable backup QB to develop.

There weren't many options.

I wonder what the "too high" price might have been.

BadKarma

Reaction score
We need someone who can at least be serviceable as a backup to Romo for the remainder of the season. Bollinger isn't the answer...and we already know Brad will basically be taking a roster spot.

We have no viable backup contingency plan should Romo get re-injured. And that's really what we need at this point...someone who can give us a chance. I doubt Bartel is the answer.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
I agree with hostile, bartel isnt the solution

but bartel knows the system and could help maybe

the solution to me is to draft one,

im not a fan of beck, from what i saw him playing at miami, he plays like bollnger

and beck is like 27 now

best option is to draft a good player in the 3rd or 4th round.

and yes the cowboys messed up when they didnt keep moore

not sure about cutting brad though, one thing to remember,

brad is the holder on field goals, and that wade said he was the best holder on field goal attempts

you might mess up with the timing of kicker and field goal holder

Dayton Cowboy

Reaction score
Jeff George is on the Michael Irvin show making a claim that he could be the back up for this team because he still has an arm and can throw the ball downfield still.