Larry Johnson: not so good a guy?

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
For the lazy...

Notes: Larry Johnson arrested
Wire reports
KANSAS CITY, Mo. —Larry Johnson turned himself in to police Monday night after an altercation he had with his girlfriend early Saturday at a bar, the latest in a series of troubles with the law for members of the Kansas City Chiefs.

Larry Johnson's legal problems didn't prevent him from hanging 110 yards and 2 TDs on the Jets Sunday.
By Reed Hoffmann, AP

Police Department spokesman Darin Snapp said the Chiefs running back was cited for domestic abuse assault. Johnson posted bond and was released, with a court date set for Sept. 20 on the municipal charge.

Snapp said the girlfriend came into the bar and saw Johnson with a different woman. The 25-year-old girlfriend, of Overland Park, Kan., saw Johnson and walked the other way, Snapp said, but Johnson text messaged her on her phone and asked her to meet him downstairs.

The running back then grabbed the woman by the arm and pulled her to the front door, Snapp said, where Johnson asked the manager to make her leave. The manager said he couldn't do that.

Snapp said Johnson became irate after his girlfriend confronted his date. The running back grabbed the victim by the shoulders and shoved her, causing her to fall onto the floor, the police report said.

The girlfriend told The Kansas City Star, in a story on its Web site, that the police report was wrong and denied that she was pushed or dragged to the door. Snapp said the woman told police she didn't want Johnson arrested, but instead just wanted the incident documented.

Friends convinced the woman the next day to file a police report after seeing bruises on her arms, Snapp said.

The accusations come less than two years after Johnson entered a diversion program for allegedly brandishing a gun during an argument with an ex-girlfriend at his home. He was charged in December 2003 with aggravated assault, a felony, and misdemeanor domestic battery.

Under terms of the diversion Johnson was required to complete 120 hours of community service, attend an anger management course and stay out of trouble for two years.

Johnson County prosecutor Paul Morrison said if it's determined he committed a criminal act, Morrison said his office would file a motion to revoke the running back's diversion.

Johnson is the latest of several Chiefs players who have gotten in trouble with the law either at bars or the result of alcohol.

Earlier this year, cornerback Eric Warfield pleaded guilty in Johnson County to a third-offense of driving under the influence, a felony. He was suspended by the NFL for the first four games of this season.

During training camp, backup quarterback Todd Collins was involved in a melee at a restaurant and bar near River Falls, Wis.

In earlier incidents, kicker Lawrence Tynes was charged with breaking a bouncer's nose in a River Falls bar fight. Defensive tackle Junior Siavii and safety Greg Wesley also were arrested during camp after allegedly getting into a drunken confrontation with police in a Minneapolis hotel.

Chiefs coach Dick Vermeil said his players know that anything they do — or are accused of doing — will be magnified because of who they are.

"I think we do as good as the best job in the National Football League of making sure players are aware of their vulnerability, their profile," Vermeil said. "There's no place to hide in Kansas City. Our fans know our players. To use common sense and to be aware of the problem areas. Stay out of the bad areas. Be aware of certain things."

Vermeil said the incident will not affect Johnson's standing with the team.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
Any guy that would hit a woman is scum if you ask me. Sometimes having talent doesn't forgives all and this is one of those times.

Ashwynn

Reaction score
Said it yesterday when I first read the story, Very sad. I had not known, or remembered, about the first incident. Very sad indeed. If you wanna cheat on your girlfriend, break up with her.

I am sure she did nothing to egg him on either though, The comment she did not want him arrested really made me laugh, How many time do you see that on Cops tv show where there dragging the old man out and the battered wife is like 'I did not want him arrested'. If anyones beating on me, I sure as heck want them arrested and convicted.