Larry Johnson

thewivil

Reaction score
Asklesko said:
I am forever in debt to LJ, as I had him stashed away on my fantasy teams for much of the year and dusted him off when Priest went down. He's so good and consistent that it's scary. I won first prize with him. There's no way I could lose.

Hah hah, same exact scenario as me. I also had Chicago's defense, so that helped me out a lot, too.

Natedawg44

Reaction score
Cheifs wanted AB for Larry Johnson

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This week, Chiefs coach Dick Vermeil tried his best Dr. Phil imitation to defuse a situation with his first-round pick from a year ago, running back Larry Johnson. By Friday the whole world believed the affair between the two, who had a midweek spat, was over.

Not so.
FOX NFL Sunday and FOXSports.com has learned that Thursday, the day after Johnson criticized his coach for saying it was time for Johnson to "take the diapers off" the Chiefs tried feverishly to unload their No. 1 pick from last year's draft.

In exchange for Larry Johnson the Chiefs were seeking a linebacker, wide receiver or draft pick. (Brian Bahr / GettyImages)

According to several league sources, Chiefs president/general manager Carl Peterson and other Chiefs executives phoned several teams, namely the Buccaneers, Dolphins and Cowboys. When contacted, Peterson confirmed talks but didn't seem optimistic that a deal would be done.

In exchange for Johnson the Chiefs were seeking a linebacker, wide receiver or a draft pick. The Dolphins said they were still considering making the move for a linebacker, which would be a credit to that franchise for continuing to aggressively work their way out of a hole. The Chiefs also said they phoned the Cowboys with the hopes of swapping Johnson for wide receiver Antonio Bryant.

The Eagles have flatly denied their overtures.

It's extremely rare when a team tries to ditch a first-round pick at running back one year into his service with the team. Johnson, relegated to third on the depth chart, has already been too much of a headache for Peterson.

Two weeks ago, he played for free after being stripped of the week's pay by the NFL for an off-field incident. He has also grumbled about lack of playing time, which tends to happen when one is seated behind Priest Holmes on the depth chart.

Then came this week's Diaper-gate.

When broached with the subject that Johnson may have to play if Priest Holmes were hurt for Sunday's game, the coach shot that it was time for his running back to "take the diapers off."

That didn't sit too well with Johnson.

"I don't need no motivation,'' Johnson said. "If I need motivation, I'll talk to my father. I don't need another grown man telling me I need to take the diapers off. That's not how I've been raised, and I don't need no motivation from anybody. I'm self-motivated because my father taught me to be that way. I don't really listen to that kind of stuff. If the man can't say something in my face, that's how I feel. It don't mean nothing to me.''

Asked if the statement would impact his relationship with the coach, Johnson said, "It affects a lot of things. But that's between to him and me to figure that out. There's a lot of things going on that I want to address but I want to wait to the right time for me to do that.''

If Peterson can find a suitable buyer then Johnson may never find the time for that

Natedawg44

Reaction score
Interesting quotes at the time about AB for LJ
Roughneck - Give away one of the best players on our team (yeah, I said it) for that scrub? Now that is funny.

MichaelWinicki- Not only is Johnson a diaper wearing bastid but he's a Penn St. running back which scares the hell out of me. Personally I didn't think he was that great a college back.

Yeagermeister- Vermiel is smoking crack

dbair1967- Tell Vermeil and Peterson that its fine that we give them AB for Johnson if they give us Priest Holmes for Lynn Scott

Tunahelper- I'm sure Vermeil started crying on the phone when Jones said, "AB for Larry Johnson, are you on crack?"

Hostile- LMAO I wouldn't want Larry Johnson for any player on our team right now.

tothewhipbill- parcells DID want barlow last year. it didn't take him long to figure out T-ham was not the answer. larry johnson looked great at the collegiate level but you
have to worry about his NFL "flop" quotient. i can see antonio being a top-notch receiver in this league. AB looks like "the goods". uuhhh.... no thanks dickey boy. now don't you go cryin' on me...

jterrel- The first thing that came to my mind was AB when this trade talk surfaced.
It would be a swap of problem children. AB was a lower draft pick but has also been more productive. I don't like LJ as a player or person. At least AB can play Let LJ go to the Dolphins who are begging for RBs. I'd stick with Reshard Lee and EG for now.

jimmy40

Reaction score
burmafrd said:
There is NO COMPARISON to Jim Brown. Larry Johnson has NOWHERE near that kind of power. BROWN just ate people up. Johnson does have power and breaks tackles- but to compare him to Brown.....
Jim Brown was bigger than half the defensive lineman when he played. I'd like to see what Jim Brown could do today, people would probably compare him to Larry Johnson.

jay cee

Reaction score
Natedawg44 said:
Interesting quotes at the time about AB for LJ
Roughneck - Give away one of the best players on our team (yeah, I said it) for that scrub? Now that is funny.

MichaelWinicki- Not only is Johnson a diaper wearing bastid but he's a Penn St. running back which scares the hell out of me. Personally I didn't think he was that great a college back.

Yeagermeister- Vermiel is smoking crack

dbair1967- Tell Vermeil and Peterson that its fine that we give them AB for Johnson if they give us Priest Holmes for Lynn Scott

Tunahelper- I'm sure Vermeil started crying on the phone when Jones said, "AB for Larry Johnson, are you on crack?"

Hostile- LMAO I wouldn't want Larry Johnson for any player on our team right now.

tothewhipbill- parcells DID want barlow last year. it didn't take him long to figure out T-ham was not the answer. larry johnson looked great at the collegiate level but you
have to worry about his NFL "flop" quotient. i can see antonio being a top-notch receiver in this league. AB looks like "the goods". uuhhh.... no thanks dickey boy. now don't you go cryin' on me...

jterrel- The first thing that came to my mind was AB when this trade talk surfaced.
It would be a swap of problem children. AB was a lower draft pick but has also been more productive. I don't like LJ as a player or person. At least AB can play Let LJ go to the Dolphins who are begging for RBs. I'd stick with Reshard Lee and EG for now.
great stuff natedawg.
at first the guy was a flop, now he is just a guy running behind a great o-line.
Why can't people just admit they were wrong? It's no big deal.

joseephuss

Reaction score
jimmy40 said:
Jim Brown was bigger than half the defensive lineman when he played. I'd like to see what Jim Brown could do today, people would probably compare him to Larry Johnson.

I was thinking the same thing. It is hard to compare guys of different eras just because of the difference in the size and athletic abilities of the players. Jim Brown was ahead of his time physically and that contributed to his dominance of his era.

jem88

Reaction score
The offensive line bit is getting very old. Having a great O-line never diminished Emmitt in my eyes, so by the same token, Johnson deserves credit for a truly phenominal year.