Last night was the best illustration of the value of long drives that I've seen in a while

JustChip

Reaction score
It goes without saying is that you're trying to score. What I am saying is that trying to score without paying attention to the other side of the ball, the game situation et al is foolhardy. The best example is when a team is driving for what would be the game winning points and they get into game winning FG position with 2 minutes left and the other team with 1 timeout. So with 1st and goal at the 9 yard like do they throw three passes into the end zone trying to score a TD and if they fail kick the FG with 1:40 left? Or do they run the ball three times, consume that last timeout, then 40 seconds each on the next two runs and kick the FG with maybe 15-20 seconds left? In that situation "do what you do to score and then worry about the time" is the worst decision you could make. That's what I am talking about.. you have to be playing the long game. The Washington game was an outlier because you were playing a vastly inferior team. In those games you can pretty much do whatever you want. I'm talking about taking on somebody closer to your own weight class. Play stupid against that team and you get your lights punched out.
Your scenario is not what I’m talking about. If you're tied, ahead, or even behind 2, and the FG is all but assured. In that case, you run the rock to burn the clock and kick the FG.

But when you are behind and have to get a TD, you prioritize that and don’t worry about how much time you leave. It may not work out, but neither will burning clock and then not scoring.

There is absolutely no way what they did Thursday night was the best course in my opinion. Absolutely they should’ve run the ball, burned 39 more seconds and then kick the FG. Sure, he could’ve missed, but that’s no more likely than what they did.

I harken back to that 51-48 Broncos game after Romo threw that late pick. That game was tied at that time. Manning told the RB in the huddle to not score under any circumstances; let’s just take the FG and get out if here with a win. That’s a QB that understands game management.

kskboys

Reaction score
While I agree with you, TOP means nothing if you don’t score. Scoring is the priority. TOP for the Thanksgiving game was exactly the opposite, yet Warshington was blown out.

This is similar to the argument fans make about scoring late to take a lead, but leaving time for the other team to potentially have a winning drive. It doesn’t matter how much time is left if you’re behind - you do what you have to do to score then worry about the time.
And yet, teams keep losing super bowls w/ this philosophy.

Basically, nothing should be ignored when trying to win a super bowl. The quick scoring method cost both ATL and SF a super bowl win.

kskboys

Reaction score
Oh, and don't forget the Oilers old Run and Shoot. It was affectionately called the Run and Shoot and Lose. This type O has been done many times over the decades, and always fails in the end. High octane passing attacks gas your D and leave you w/ no way to control the clock once you take a lead.

Oh, and here's another drawback. If you're throwing downfield a lot, your QB is spending way too much time before throwing the ball, and you're going to get him hurt.

The proponents of the quick score O are simply ignoring so many drawbacks.

visionary

Reaction score
We have been debating the whole "why not just try to score on every drive as quickly as possible and the hell with time of possession" deal for years.. So at the end of last night's game.. where neither team punted you could clearly see that late in the 4th quarter one defense had energy left to make stops when they needed and the other team didn't. On team's defense ended up being on the field less than 24 minutes while the other had been on the field over 36 minutes. One defense got stops on downs on the opponent's last three drives giving up 79 yards while the other defense gave up two field goals and a TD on the opponent's last three drives giving up 150 yards. If ever there was an illustration of the value of continuing to run the ball and control the clock last night was it. I can's shake the feeling that if Kellen Moore was still our OC last night we lose this game.
Preaching to the choir buddy
Only idiots think run game and TOP dont matter

vlad

Reaction score
Imho same formula it’s been - pass To get the lead, run to keep the lead.

JustChip

Reaction score

Basically, nothing should be ignored when trying to win a super bowl. The quick scoring method cost both ATL and SF a super bowl win.
Actually, lack of scoring cost Atlanta the Super Bowl. They were up 4 scores at the half-way point of the 3rd quarter and failed to score the rest of the way. One score and they win.

They were in position to do that with about 4 minutes. They were well within FG range and simply needed to burn clock and not do anything to move them out of FG range. Run the ball 2 times, kick the FG and celebrate being Champs. Instead, they try to pass, get sacked, try to pass again, get called for holding and have to punt without burning much clock.

RonnieT24

Reaction score

Yep you get greedy you git got. You always gotta be playing chess not checkers.

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
We have been debating the whole "why not just try to score on every drive as quickly as possible and the hell with time of possession" deal for years.. So at the end of last night's game.. where neither team punted you could clearly see that late in the 4th quarter one defense had energy left to make stops when they needed and the other team didn't. On team's defense ended up being on the field less than 24 minutes while the other had been on the field over 36 minutes. One defense got stops on downs on the opponent's last three drives giving up 79 yards while the other defense gave up two field goals and a TD on the opponent's last three drives giving up 150 yards. If ever there was an illustration of the value of continuing to run the ball and control the clock last night was it. I can's shake the feeling that if Kellen Moore was still our OC last night we lose this game.
If they can fix the short yardage and RedZone issues they'll be sitting pretty. That's been the Eagles winning formula, extended drives punctuated with touchdowns.