Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Jones
Elliott
Prescott
Maliek Collins
La'el Collins
Chaz Green ( may be early, but I see him as 2017 RT)

Thats not a bad haul. 3 starters in a draft is a successful draft

Smith joins them when the nerve starts firing and Brown is looking like a potential future starter at CB

Wood

Reaction score
Jones
Elliott
Prescott
Maliek Collins
La'el Collins

Smith joins them when the nerve starts firing and Brown is looking like a potential future starter at CB

Would not surprise me if Collins becomes stud of that class (outside of Dak). I have waited on his type for long time.

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
Jones
Elliott
Prescott
Maliek Collins
La'el Collins

I hope you're right. But Green didn't look great, it's way too early to say much about Brown, and L. Collins could end up getting benched if he doesn't turn it around. M. Collins has made a couple nice plays, but I'm not sure he's long-term starter material either. Too early to tell either way.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Hopefully better than the 2010-2011 draft, which was pretty much the same circumstance (following a division title and then a terrible season with a Top-10 pick).

Dez
Sean Lee
Tyron Smith
Bruce Carter
Dwayne Harris
Dan Bailey (undrafted FA)
Chris Jones (undrafted FA)

If Dak is the answer then him alone would put this crop over the top.

Common Sense

Reaction score
I can't see any way Green doesn't start at RT next year. The team is nearly $8M over the cap before restructures and Free is set to make $6.5M. It's a no-brainer.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Of course the Browns probably have that record almost every year of starters taken in he draft.

If your team sucks eggs, then having a goodly number of draft picks starting means your bar is set real low.

Not suggesting anything, but starters don't mean quality.

drawandstrike

Reaction score
Hopefully better than the 2010-2011 draft, which was pretty much the same circumstance (following a division title and then a terrible season with a Top-10 pick).

Dez
Sean Lee
Tyron Smith
Bruce Carter
Dwayne Harris
Dan Bailey (undrafted FA)
Chris Jones (undrafted FA)

If Dak is the answer then him alone would put this crop over the top.

You left DeMarco Murray off this list [3rd round, 2011]

Setackin

radioactivecowboy88
Reaction score
Jones
Elliott
Prescott
Maliek Collins
La'el Collins

I'd count tapper and Smith as well, when healthy both will start

drawandstrike

Reaction score
Jerry took risks in drafting on the defensive side of the ball, and in signing FA like Hardy, and we've paid for it. DLaw and Gregory getting suspended, Ro McClain self-destructing, Hardy still having issues, not being resigned, etc.

We've spent draft picks, but we keep using them on players with issues like Gregory or injury history, such as Jaylon Smith. I understand people want to draft defensive rookies for immediate help, but the front office has to look at what kind of immediate impact a rookie would have. They see the immediate help the offense is getting from Dak and Zeke and expect the same if we'd drafted on the defensive side of the ball instead.

When it's your turn to pick, you have to weigh in the scales immediate need vs. future development based on who's available at that pick.

Teams that consistently 'draft for need' tend to reach on players that never live up to their draft status or contracts. Of course the opposite of this is drafting for the future with players that never develop into what was hoped for.

Garrett placed a premium on building that offensive line, and he talked Jerry into spending 3 1st round picks on Smith, Martin and Frederick.

The emphasis since Garrett took over was building an offense around Romo to help him where he didn't have to do it all himself. That's been accomplished. The line was built in front of him. The only negative was having to choose between Dez & DeMarco and having our to watch our league-leading RB leave.

2012 draft, we went 5/7 picks on defense, trading up to get Mo.

The 2015 draft, we also went heavy on defense, taking defenders with 5/8 draft picks. You can argue 'wrong guys!' but it's not like there was no emphasis on defense in that draft.

This last draft, the way the board fell Elliott was the solid pick at #4. People who wanted to draft for need at that spot will simply have to disagree. They can also legitimately argue we shouldn't have risked our 2nd round pick on Jaylon Smith, a pick that might never pay off.

We did use 5/9 picks on defenders, Smith, Collins, Tapper, Brown and Frazier. If Smith's knee comes back that is a good pick, but we definitely are rolling the dice there.

The 10 defenders we drafted in the past 2 years, some of them will get better, turn into good players. There's been no 'lights out' defensive rookie for us like there's been on offense. That doesn't mean the defense hasn't been addressed. In next year's draft we'll likely go heavy on defense again. Picking the 'wrong' guys, of course.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jones
Elliott
Prescott
Maliek Collins
La'el Collins

More than that when its all said and done.

conner01

Reaction score
Of course the Browns probably have that record almost every year of starters taken in he draft.

If your team sucks eggs, then having a goodly number of draft picks starting means your bar is set real low.

Not suggesting anything, but starters don't mean quality.
Good point. 3 "quality" starters from a draft on a team with a decent roster is a good haul.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
The 2016 draft will go down as one of the best in Cowboys history- maybe the best- if all these players pan out as hoped.

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
The 2016 draft will go down as one of the best in Cowboys history- maybe the best- if all these players pan out as hoped.

There's an older draft that isn't coming to my head, even better than this. But I highly doubt the class will top the 2005 draft class. 1x HOFer, 3x Pro Bowlers, 6x multi-year starters.

Ware
Spears
Burnett
Barber
Canty
Ratliff

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
There's an older draft that isn't coming to my head, even better than this. But I highly doubt the class will top the 2005 draft class. 1x HOFer, 3x Pro Bowlers, 6x multi-year starters.

Ware
Spears
Burnett
Barber
Canty
Ratliff

Really just Ware. Spears was a bust. Burnett left after his rookie deal I think. Barber was more flash than substance. Canty was JAG. Rat was great value for a 7th rounder till he went nuts