Latest trade idea

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
I suggest we trade Jourdan Lewis and our 7th round pick to Cle for Duke Thomas and Ogbah.

Lewis doesn't fit what Richards likes but I bet he could start opposite Ward in Cle.

We get Gregory's temporary replacement and eventual rotational DE and our backup RB/change of pace back/slot receiver in a pinch.

It would mean having to draft a CB for us but eliminates two needs.

DHCBF66

Reaction score
I suggest we trade Jourdan Lewis and our 7th round pick to Cle for Duke Thomas and Ogbah.

Lewis doesn't fit what Richards likes but I bet he could start opposite Ward in Cle.

We get Gregory's temporary replacement and eventual rotational DE and our backup RB/change of pace back/slot receiver in a pinch.

We would be sending a really good corner that is making peanuts for a RB (That we dont need) that will cost $5 million against the cap and a DE that has not been all that productive and will cost over $2 million against the cap. Lewis is going to cost less than $1 million against the cap. Not at all a good trade. $5 million for a guy that might get 5 carries a game?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
CJ Anderson is a FA who Dallas could get and would not cost them any picks. As for Emmanuel Ogbah has done nothing and works opposite of Myles Garrett, you would think his numbers would show more production.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just resign Rod Smith. And draft another RB late round that never works out.

Oh and they have CZ's HOF player Darius Jackson too. :muttley:

I prefer they sign several FA's. Let them compete in TC.

Wood

Reaction score

Lewis doesn't have much value. I would trade Jones. Dallas can't resign everyone and he would bring back good haul. Plus he creates zero turnovers.

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
Just resign Rod Smith. And draft another RB late round that never works out.

Oh and they have CZ's HOF player Darius Jackson too. :muttley:

I prefer they sign several FA's. Let them compete in TC.
I'd love to sign a CJ Anderson type. Fat dude who is unnaturally good for some reason who could carry the load if something happens to Zeke.

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
Dallas doesn't use Lewis much. In 2018 he was on the field for 18% of defensive and 20% of special teams snaps, adding 8 plays on offense, to make a total snap count of 279. The vast majority of these snaps came in weeks 5, 6, and 16. He recorded 156 snaps in those 3 games alone.

So, regardless of how we feel about Lewis, the fact of the matter is that Richards doesn't use him. When you've got a talented player that doesn't play, then they are either depth or should at least be shopped around.

As for depth, last year we were lucky in the secondary and didn't see many missed games. We really dont have a lot of depth right now and most of the depth is Lewis. He is "the guy" after our big 3 (Jones, Awuzie, Brown), as he is 4th in snaps at CB. He's 4th by a mile but behind him the next guy has a total of 53, only 3 on defense. This explains his sporadic usage with most snaps coming in 3 games.

So, he's a very important depth piece around here.

Now consider marketability. We all feel he's a good player with potential. I would argue he's got way too much talent to be a distant 4th on the depth chart. I wont go into detail here because it seems a lot of us agree. One minor strike against his value is the lack of 2018 game film.

Overall, he's highly marketable.

Finally, I want Richards to have guys that match what he wants to do. I'm not going to pull a JJ and keep a guy around if the coach I've entrusted with the team (or part of it anyway) doesn't want to use him. I'd much rather try to bring in a guy that Richards can and will use. It only makes the defense better to have 4 CBs the coach likes instead of 3.

Altogether, I like the OP's idea of trying to trade Lewis. I think his specific trade is dumb as rocks for all parties. You have to leverage his marketability in a way that allows you to replace the depth he provides.

I would do a player-for-player trade if another team wanted a Lewis but instead had a guy Richards likes, assuming the financials make sense.

I would also consider signing someone that Richards likes to be the CB4, trading Lewis for a midround pick, and then drafting a CB Richards likes. CB4s are going to be cheap.

Lewis is too good to have sitting around doing nothing and if we can get something for him without sacrificing that CB4 safety blanket, then we should.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/dal/2018-snap-counts.htm
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LewiJo01/fantasy/2018

Mr_437

Reaction score

Killer, I think that's a great trade for CLE...freeing up cap and getting something for Ogbah who hasn't performed all that well.

For DAL who acts as if they can't pay the players they have already, adding a RB2 costing 3M,4M then 5M the next 3 seasons isn't economical. Then Ogbah is on a 1 year deal worth 1.3M. Just doesn't seem like something Stephen would do money-wise.