Laundry List of Day 1 Thoughts...

CoCo

Reaction score
I was watching Jenkins fall starting at about 10, and was pretty disappointed when we chose Felix over him at #22 as I figured Jones had a good chance of falling to #28 while Jenkins would not. Turns out, the opposite was probably true.

I was also pretty bummed when we passed on Mendenhall, or at least the chance to lift some bootie from someone hankering for him at #22. But if Felix is going to be used at times in tandem w/Barber, and can split out wide on ocasion too, well I'm getting excited about some of the possibilities there.

I never like having to give up draft picks but I have no problem giving up the 5th & 7th to grab Jenkins. We needed quality more than quantity given the talent of this roster. And having Newman, Henry, Pacman and Jenkins, well... its an incredible step forward in our pass defense, our recent achilles heel.

TE in round 2? Again? Really? Must say I felt just fine hearing Fasano/Akin had been moved out for #1 in the 4th. I never liked BP's penchant for TE's and Fasano certainly didn't look worthy of that pick we spent on him.

Plus like many I was intrigued by Tony Curtis and now the path was clear to get him more time. A poor man's Fasano surely could be had on almost every NFL street corner as a 3rd stringer.

But now reading the reports on Bennett I am warming to what he might possibly become. I already think he's better than the highest hopes for Fasano. I think it was Mel who was projecting the guy as a first rounder if he'd stayed in school another year. So now again, like Felix Jones in creative roles, we need to actually use Bennett as a dual threat w/Witten, not just speculate about it.

Turns out this draft had several intriguing paths that might have been. At the same time I can see and respect what Dallas envisioned by taking the path they did. We'll see who's right in time.

I can see where our decisions can be debated. But to be so vehemently abused by some on this board is pretty arrogant IMO. Its not that black & white. The draft, even in the early rounds, is more of an unknown than many people will admit in their opinions.

bigE79

Reaction score
CoCo;2056828 said:
I was watching Jenkins fall starting at about 10, and was pretty disappointed when we chose Felix over him at #22 as I figured Jones had a good chance of falling to #28 while Jenkins would not. Turns out, the opposite was probably true.

I was also pretty bummed when we passed on Mendenhall, or at least the chance to lift some bootie from someone hankering for him at #22. But if Felix is going to be used at times in tandem w/Barber, and can split out wide on ocasion too, well I'm getting excited about some of the possibilities there.

I never like having to give up draft picks but I have no problem giving up the 5th & 7th to grab Jenkins. We needed quality more than quantity given the talent of this roster. And having Newman, Henry, Pacman and Jenkins, well... its an incredible step forward in our pass defense, our recent achilles heel.

TE in round 2? Again? Really? Must say I felt just fine hearing Fasano/Akin had been moved out for #1 in the 4th. I never liked BP's penchant for TE's and Fasano certainly didn't look worthy of that pick we spent on him.

Plus like many I was intrigued by Tony Curtis and now the path was clear to get him more time. A poor man's Fasano surely could be had on almost every NFL street corner as a 3rd stringer.

But now reading the reports on Bennett I am warming to what he might possibly become. I already think he's better than the highest hopes for Fasano. I think it was Mel who was projecting the guy as a first rounder if he'd stayed in school another year. So now again, like Felix Jones in creative roles, we need to actually use Bennett as a dual threat w/Witten, not just speculate about it.

Turns out this draft had several intriguing paths that might have been. At the same time I can see and respect what Dallas envisioned by taking the path they did. We'll see who's right in time.

I can see where our decisions can be debated. But to be so vehemently abused by some on this board is pretty arrogant IMO. Its not that black & white. The draft, even in the early rounds, is more of an unknown than many people will admit in their opinions.
GREAT POST:bow:

JerryFan

Reaction score
The reason I'm liking the drafting TE in rd 2 is because it was BPA. It came down to this for me. Since we traded up for Jenkins I think we were pretty much set in staying put in the 2nd instead of moving up to get a different player.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I don't agree with the philosophy they used to pick Felix Jones, but the guy definitely has some talent and big play ability that will really help this team. Getting Jenkins was a must and the picks given up for him seem to be pretty cheap imo. The only thing is that it may have prevented(them the ammo) to trade up in the second for Sweed. Bennett certainly looks intriguing and was really the best talent available at a position they could use.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We may have done some things backasswards, but when the dust cleared, we had a damn good/solid first day - no question about it.

Woods

Reaction score
Sarge;2056890 said:
We may have done some things backasswards, but when the dust cleared, we had a damn good/solid first day - no question about it.

You said it, Sarge.

I'm wondering if we draft a WR Day 2 or whether we try to pull of a trade for a veteran wideout later on?

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Woods;2056899 said:
You said it, Sarge.

I'm wondering if we draft a WR Day 2 or whether we try to pull of a trade for a veteran wideout later on?

We will prolly do both IMO/FWIW...

ndanger

Reaction score
Sarge;2056890 said:

The original poster made some very valid points , as did you. When you sit back and analyze the potential you have with not only Felix Jones, but the Bennett pick as well, as you stated so well, when the dust clears it looks to be a solid draft at this point.

The Jenkins pick for the most part hasn't ruffled as many feathers. I can see an uproar of epic proportions coming from the legion of wide receiver addicts. It would not surprise me at all to end the day without having a single wide receiver selected.What they fail to see is the receiving capabilities that 2 of our 1st 3 picks bring to the table.

All I know Sarge is "getcha' visine ready" cause the dust will get worse before it ever totally clears.;)