News: Lawrence - 3rd Surgery Reason for PUP

Sydla

Reaction score
The relevant question based on how the Cowboys are handling this is............................. what date does he officially go on IR?

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Cooper and D Law are vets and the team is basically sitting them through TC to limit wear and tear. Both guys have lingering issues to manage— makes some sense to let them work towards getting to 100% health.

If the news starts to hint that they will miss games— then it’s getting serious.

Point-of-the-Star

Reaction score
I think it's been pretty clear that this was just a cleanup job like McCarthy said. Obviously, there can be complications, but McCarthy should be right that "it's not a high concern."

The issues with Frederick and Collins were both different than Lawrence's because the team had no real idea about the extent of their problems. There's not really a lot of guesswork with Lawrence's because it's fairly standard, although dealing with back issues always is iffy.

Good summation.

After ANY surgery there is scar tissue. Essentially after any injury. Most people won't have issues with this after a back surgery but a hyper tuned athlete playing football (wildly varied range of motions, exertions, and collisions) this can be a pain problem as well as a muscle function problem . As the scar tissue expands its borders it can press on a nerve . . . FWIW.

I ruptured a disc in my 20's and the post injury scar tissue impinges on a nerve root in my lumbar region giving me radiating leg pain 45 years later.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The relevant question based on how the Cowboys are handling this is............................. what date does he officially go on IR?

Has to be after the roster is finalized, and after regular season starts. If they go on IR during TC it is considered a long term injury. Therefore out for the entire season.
A long term injury is 6 weeks or more I believe. This is why you do not see players with shorter term injuries go on IR during TC, they just take up s roster spot.
If he stays on PUP, then he can be moved to IR later. However, he would stay on PUP for what, 6 weeks then they need to decide, activate or IR.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In unrelated news. In a way.
Saints, Michael Thomas, expected to miss the start of the 2021 season. After having ankle surgery in June. Torn ligaments. I did not hear when the injury occurred but sounded like late last season. And waited to have surgery. This was on NFLN just now.

So, Dallas is not the only team that has later surgeries in the off-season.
I bet Saints boards are having a CZ type meltdown tantrum right now. :muttley:

jrumann59

Reaction score
In unrelated news. In a way.
Saints, Michael Thomas, expected to miss the start of the 2021 season. After having ankle surgery in June. Torn ligaments. I did not hear when the injury occurred but sounded like late last season. And waited to have surgery. This was on NFLN just now.

So, Dallas is not the only team that has later surgeries in the off-season.
I bet Saints boards are having a CZ type meltdown tantrum right now. :muttley:
Cooper had his surgery after the NFL season was over, dont know about D-Law. I think Coopers issue is complications less the fact that of when he had the surgery.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
3rd Surgery on the back? 3rd Time is the charm?

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...up-back-surgery-no-high-concern-from-cowboys/

"Head coach Mike McCarthy revealed that Lawrence had postseason surgery on his back. It’s the third time that Lawrence has had that kind of operation, but McCarthy said that this procedure has not raised any red flags for the team about Lawrence’s outlook for the season.

“That is more of a clean-up. It’s not of high concern,” McCarthy said at a press conference. “So, he looks great. It’s probably more us than him, the timeline of him coming back.”
Ouch, hope he heals and gets better

conner01

Reaction score
Not very many things I distrust more than the Cowboys giving injury related news.
It’s generally over Rosie
But clean out surgeries are fairly common so hopefully that’s really what it was

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
:lmao2:
So basically he will be out for the season….?
Head coach Mike McCarthy revealed that Lawrence had postseason surgery on his back. It’s the third time that Lawrence has had that kind of operation, but McCarthy said that this procedure has not raised any red flags for the team about Lawrence’s outlook for the season.

“That is more of a clean-up. It’s not of high concern,” McCarthy said at a press conference. “So, he looks great. It’s probably more us than him, the timeline of him coming back.” https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/pr...ack-surgery-no-high-concern-from-cowboys/amp/