Lawrence Timmons - would you be upset if he came to us?

starfrombirth

Reaction score
Outside Linebacker | Junior | Florida St. Lawrence Timmons
Height: 6-07/8 | Weight: 234 | 40-Time: 4.59

Official Bio

Strengths:
Outstanding natural athlete...Great speed and quickness...Explosive with a burst to close...Has the frame to get add weight and he plays big...An outstanding pass rusher...Has fluid hips and is excellent in coverage...Versatile and could play in a 4-3 or 3-4 scheme...Vicious hitter and tackler...Has sideline-to-sideline range...Is physical and aggressive...A playmaker who is always around the ball...Still has a ton of potential and there is really no telling just how good he may ultimately be.

Weaknesses:
Has only one year of starting experience...Raw and needs work from a technique standpoint...Has some trouble shedding blocks and he doesn't use his hands all that well...May lack ideal instincts and awareness due to inexperience...Needs to continue bulking up and getting stronger...Will get by on his athleticism at times.

Notes:
Was overshadowed by the likes of Ernie Sims, Buster Davis and A.J. Nicholson for most of his college career...Finally got a chance to start in '06 and made the most of the opportunity...Rare physical specimen who just might eventually be a better player than Sims, a former #9 overall pick...Upside is the key word because he is not a finished product but if he lives up to that promise this guy could be special.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I think I've stated here before, I'm an FSU fan and If he fell to us I would be ecstatic. This guy has a motor and has all the tangibles and Intangibles. What do you, my fellow board members, think?:starspin

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
I think he's pretty good, but he's more of a 4-3 OLB...

At the same time, I have read that the Boys have shown some interest in him, have talked with him... so perhaps they feel he could make the transition to the 3-4 without too much problem...

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
He is a good player, however, I just believe we could us help at other positions more......like DT and WR (ours are getting a little long in the tooth)

starfrombirth

Reaction score
I don't think DT is a problem at all. As I stated in another thread, scheme will drastically improve the perceived weakness on the line and I also stated that it's the linebackers responsibility to get to the gap to get the runner and put pressure on the qb thru open throwing lanes. Both of these are strengths of Timmons and he was one of the very few bright spots for FSU this year. He is an absolute beast and would instantly make James Dipensible. I like wr's too for our pick but man it would be hard to pass on Timmons if he fell to us. :D

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
silverbear;1435890 said:

At the same time, I have read that the Boys have shown some interest in him, have talked with him... so perhaps they feel he could make the transition to the 3-4 without too much problem...
I'd be curious as to where you read this.

I think he's a bit too small for the 3-4, but then again, the Phillips 3-4 is a bit different than the Parcells 3-4 and Phillips has had smallish LBs in San Diego.

Reaction score
I disagree with the notion that he's inexperienced. Even though he didn't start as a sophomore, he was on FSU's 2-deep and played extensively.
And FSU has been loaded at LB lately.

ENGCowboy

Reaction score
starfrombirth;1435899 said:
I don't think DT is a problem at all. As I stated in another thread, scheme will drastically improve the perceived weakness on the line and I also stated that it's the linebackers responsibility to get to the gap to get the runner and put pressure on the qb thru open throwing lanes. Both of these are strengths of Timmons and he was one of the very few bright spots for FSU this year. He is an absolute beast and would instantly make James Dipensible. I like wr's too for our pick but man it would be hard to pass on Timmons if he fell to us. :D

I dont think anyone is suggesting that Fergie is a weakness along the line more the fact that he is what 50! and may struggle to play to his best standard for every down of hopefully more than 16 game season.

Timmons sounds like he is worth investigating and I wouldnt be totally against this pick I assume not in the first round but on the first day. Still i agree with CC we need to get younger at WR or in a couple of years we will be trading the earth for another joey galloway!

starfrombirth

Reaction score
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/rankings/top.html

Timmons is projected as the 21st best player in the draft and even if we passed on him he would not last to us again in the 2nd. He is a 1st round talent and someone is going to take him. My first choices are Meacham or Rice but I would be very happy if we took him instead. I think one of these guys will be available for us. It's a win, win, win situation. :D

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
theogt;1435902 said:
I'd be curious as to where you read this.

I think he's a bit too small for the 3-4, but then again, the Phillips 3-4 is a bit different than the Parcells 3-4 and Phillips has had smallish LBs in San Diego.

I think it was during the combine, apparently he was one of the players they interviewed... I remember being surprised when I read it...

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
theogt;1435902 said:

Hiya theogt.

I was thinking that too. Timmons reminds me in size and stature, a little bit of Randall Godfrey. I think he'd be fine for what Phillips would ask him to do.

Now, would I want us to pick him up at 22? That, I'm not sure of. I do like him, but we already have Burnett, who reminds me some of Timmons as well. I always like adding big, strong, aggressive LB's to the team, but...

I wouldn't be upset if that's the way we went at 22, because you'd have to assume that Ireland and Phillips both thought he'd fit well in Wade's scheme. I just don't think that's the way we'll go.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
i dont like timmons, to me, he hasnt produced on the field,

you can have all the fast times, speed, size, etc, but if you dont produce on the field, what good are you, just another speed guy without football playing abilities.

kinda like randall williams, he had all the great speed, but couldnt produce on the field towards becoming a pro football player

id rather you give me a guy like patrick willis, whom loves, breathes football, loves hitting, has the skins on the wall to back it up, and at 6-2, 238 with 4.37 in 40, i think willis will be another great linebacker like ray lewis, fast, mean and though, and get this guys, with that speed willis is even faster than urlacher great middle linebacker with the bears.

as you know we all have trouble with backs running down the middle of the field, beating our linebackers, well willis can stay with te's and running backs, adn he has the speed,

if the cowboys were to draft a linebacker, i would rather have willis, true he probably will be gone by 15th to 20th pick, but for some heavenly reason he is still there when we pick at 22nd pick, then take him, he will push bradie james, etc, and he could cover for us on obvious passing downs for our defense.

i am hearing that ginn, wr from ohio college, branch dt from michigan, are falling, if we are picking at 22nd pick and willis linebacker, ginn wr, and branch are still there at 22nd, then i say take one of them, you cant go wrong, but i am leary of timmons, he just hasnt produced on the field like he should have

conner01

Reaction score
i think we will take a couple of lb's as we've lost a couple. but i look for more inside guys, and no earlier than the 3rd rnd. we can get anthony waters in the 3rd and he will be a good one. he would have been a 1st rnd guy had he not been injured i think. and a guy like zak deossie in the 4th. good solid inside guys who can play special teams and relieve akin and james when needed.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
cowboyjoe;1436035 said:
i dont like timmons, to me, he hasnt produced on the field,

you can have all the fast times, speed, size, etc, but if you dont produce on the field, what good are you, just another speed guy without football playing abilities.

kinda like randall williams, he had all the great speed, but couldnt produce on the field towards becoming a pro football player

id rather you give me a guy like patrick willis, whom loves, breathes football, loves hitting, has the skins on the wall to back it up, and at 6-2, 238 with 4.37 in 40, i think willis will be another great linebacker like ray lewis, fast, mean and though, and get this guys, with that speed willis is even faster than urlacher great middle linebacker with the bears.

as you know we all have trouble with backs running down the middle of the field, beating our linebackers, well willis can stay with te's and running backs, adn he has the speed,

if the cowboys were to draft a linebacker, i would rather have willis, true he probably will be gone by 15th to 20th pick, but for some heavenly reason he is still there when we pick at 22nd pick, then take him, he will push bradie james, etc, and he could cover for us on obvious passing downs for our defense.

i am hearing that ginn, wr from ohio college, branch dt from michigan, are falling, if we are picking at 22nd pick and willis linebacker, ginn wr, and branch are still there at 22nd, then i say take one of them, you cant go wrong, but i am leary of timmons, he just hasnt produced on the field like he should have
Heck, he's not even that fast. He ran a 4.66 at the Combine and 4.63 at his Pro Day. That's kinda slow for a guy his size.

alancdc

Reaction score
silverbear;1435890 said:

I wouldn't mind him or his LBer teamate, Buster Davis. Let me clarify...Not DAvis in the first round, but I think that guy is going to be a player in the Coakley mold if not faster.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
No, I really wouldn't like this pick too much. I don't like him as an OLB in a 34. In that defense, you have to be able to shed contact and make plays. This is not Timmons, IMO. If this were last year, I'm not certain he would have been a 3rd rd pick. I think this is more a product of talent at the OLB this year as opposed to grading out as the best OLB in the 07 draft. JMO.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
theogt;1436060 said:
Heck, he's not even that fast. He ran a 4.66 at the Combine and 4.63 at his Pro Day. That's kinda slow for a guy his size.
theogot,
if your talking aboaut willis, yes he did run 4.37 at his 40 pro day,
he ran a 4.37 and a 4.39, so guess you can say a 4.4, but 4.4 at 238 lbs, at 6-2, that is real good.
Patrick Willis/LB/Mississippi: Willis took it to another level, shocking scouts by running 4.4 in the 40 after weighing in at 238 pounds. This performance could push him into the draft's top 18 selections.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;1436060 said:

his other #s were pretty good: 6.94 3-cone drill, 1.5 10-yard dash, 4.32 short-shuttle

I wouldn't mind Timmons at 22, he's more of an ILB in a 3-4 D

FYI, Timmons was a DE in nickel situations while he backed up Ernie Sims at SLB, his Senior year stat-line was pretty good: 79 tackles, 18tfl, 5 sacks, 6 pass-breakups, INT

Zen

Reaction score
How many linebackers do we need? Are we going to be the Detroit Lions of LB's picking one in the first or second every year.