Lawson a third rounder?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
actually the original article said lawson was ranked as a 3rd rounder before the college season started but then moved to first round with his performance.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
bbgun said:
USA Today:

Mayock projects Wimbley going No. 12 to Cleveland. ESPN analyst Mel Kiper Jr. has Wimbley at No. 11, largely because he can play end in a Cover 2 scheme and outside linebacker in a 3-4.

What planet do they think Wimbley can play the Cover 2 in the NFL?

He weighs about the same as Lawson and is shorter, has a smaller wingspan, and is slower. He'd be too slow to put in at LB in a Cover 2, and most likely too small to be a Cover 2 Defensive End.

And if Lawson falls to the third round, I'll eat my shoe.

Rich.......

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Yakuza Rich said:
What planet do they think Wimbley can play the Cover 2 in the NFL?

He weighs about the same as Lawson and is shorter, has a smaller wingspan, and is slower. He'd be too slow to put in at LB in a Cover 2, and most likely too small to be a Cover 2 Defensive End.

And if Lawson falls to the third round, I'll eat my shoe.

Rich.......
They were saying he could be Defensive End (not LB) in a cover 2 defense.

ddh33

Reaction score
Good catch on the Mayock comment. I swear he said something about him grading out as a third rounder just last week on the NFL Network. Maybe he's just been talking about his grade from before the season?

Like I've said dozens of times, I don't care. I just want a good football player. I trust Parcells when it comes to drafting those linebackers though. We'll get a good one, I believe.

MiStar

Reaction score
If I remember correctly, Mayock said that he had Manny graded in the third round. He was merely pointing out the great disparity from his evaluation of Lawson (third round) to the general consensus (12-20).

So from what I gathered, Mayock is not a Lawson fan.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
theogt said:
As a 4-3 DE, sure he's a 3rd rounder. As 3-4 OLB he's clearly a first rounder.

Mayock must have forgotten that teams run the 3-4.

I don't think he forgot, that's why he said he feels Lawson will go higher than he should, Wimbley too

ddh33

Reaction score
MiStar said:
If I remember correctly, Mayock said that he had Manny graded in the third round. He was merely pointing out the great disparity from his evaluation of Lawson (third round) to the general consensus (12-20).

So from what I gathered, Mayock is not a Lawson fan.

That was the exact same impression I got. I'm trying to be political about it, but just last week on the NFL Draft Special on NFL Network, Mayock and Pat Kirwan argued about Manny Lawson.

Kirwan thinks he is a faster Carl Banks and a perfect 3-4 OLB.
Mayock thinks he's overrated and a one-dimension trick pony who will only be able to play situational DE.

Who's right will be determined by Manny Lawson, I believe.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
theogt said:
They were saying he could be Defensive End (not LB) in a cover 2 defense.

I know that. I'm saying he's not a 4-3 DE on the next level. Way too small and he doesn't have Dwight Freeney speed.

Rich..........
Freeney still outweighed Wimbley by 30 pounds though