Lawson a third rounder?

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
USA Today:

Mayock projects Wimbley going No. 12 to Cleveland. ESPN analyst Mel Kiper Jr. has Wimbley at No. 11, largely because he can play end in a Cover 2 scheme and outside linebacker in a 3-4.

"I went into this season thinking I'd be playing linebacker at the next level," Wimbley says.

"But as long as I get on the field, either position is fine with me."

Lawson's 4.43 speed has helped his stock. "Everybody is telling me he's going to go between 12 and 20," Mayock says. "I'm not buying into that yet. (Ware) showed me at the Senior Bowl a year ago that he was a first-round big. Manny Lawson did not show me that."

Mayock projects Lawson as a third-rounder — still high for a college defensive end who weighs under 250.

"Because there are more 3-4 schemes," Mayock says, "players such as Wimbley and Lawson will go higher in the draft this year than they would before."

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
If I knew he would be there in the 2nd rd......I'd wait.....IMO that will not happen!

dmoore

Reaction score
Mayock's an idiot. I think Kiper has a better track record. That's why I'm gonna watch the draft on ESPN like always instead of the NFL Network.

bigdrulez3141

Reaction score
that is why i turn the combine on mute when i watch it because mayocks an idiot and his lisp is even worse.

NorTex

Reaction score
bigdrulez3141 said:
that is why i turn the combine on mute when i watch it because mayocks an idiot and his lisp is even worse.

It's funny that you mention his lisp...it drives my wife crazy, so I have to turn down the volumn. :laugh2:

ddh33

Reaction score
I thought I heard Mayock say that. And he's not alone either. Obviously, it doesn't make him right or wrong. He just doesn't feel like Lawson is quite as good as others do.

I still think that we should all be happy with whoever Bill picks. Even his bad LB picks turn out to be good (think James Farrior).

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
As a 4-3 DE, sure he's a 3rd rounder. As 3-4 OLB he's clearly a first rounder.

Mayock must have forgotten that teams run the 3-4.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
Mayock doesn't project him as a 3rd rounder but he believes he is 3rd round talent, there is a difference. He is really down on the kid.

ddh33

Reaction score
TheSkaven said:
Mayock doesn't project him as a 3rd rounder but he believes he is 3rd round talent, there is a difference. He is really down on the kid.

Exactly. That's an important distinguishment to make. But Mayock has been constant about saying that he feels that Lawson is going to be over-drafted. On tape, he doesn't like what he sees.

To compare, last year, if I'm not mistaken, Demarcus Ware was his Jay Cutler. He loved Ware and thought he might be the best defensive player in that draft.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
ddh33 said:
Exactly. That's an important distinguishment to make. But Mayock has been constant about saying that he feels that Lawson is going to be over-drafted. On tape, he doesn't like what he sees.

To compare, last year, if I'm not mistaken, Demarcus Ware was his Jay Cutler. He loved Ware and thought he might be the best defensive player in that draft.
Interesting. I wasn't as sold on the guy UNTIL I watched some of his footage.

chicago JK

Reaction score
ddh33 said:

yep, Mayock may be flat wrong but lets also remember Ware was his favorite player in the draft last year. I also give him credit for sticking up on his rankings. After watching tape and seeing him at the post season bowls he had Lawson as a non first rounder. Most every other draft guy has Lawson in the top twenty after his crazy workouts. I give the guy cretid for sticking by his guns.

He may be very wrong but I would much rather have a guy give his honest thoughts even if they different from most over a guy who jumps on the pile of a hot prospect.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
I think Kamerion wins the showdown with Manny if both are there at 18.

Dough Boy

Seldom Seen
Reaction score
Mayock said players who have the potential to make a Ware-like rise in the 2006 draft after not being highly thought of before the season are North Carolina State linebacker Manny Lawson, who the Cowboys are looking at with the 18th overall pick, and Florida State defensive end Kamerion Wimbley.

"Lawson is the guy who is white hot right now," Mayock said. "I gave him a third-round grade, too, before the season. Now he is between 12 and 20. He lit it up at the combine. He ran a 4.4 [seconds] in the 40."

BulletBob

The Godfather
Reaction score
Dough Boy said:
Mayock said players who have the potential to make a Ware-like rise in the 2006 draft after not being highly thought of before the season are North Carolina State linebacker Manny Lawson, who the Cowboys are looking at with the 18th overall pick, and Florida State defensive end Kamerion Wimbley.

"Lawson is the guy who is white hot right now," Mayock said. "I gave him a third-round grade, too, before the season. Now he is between 12 and 20. He lit it up at the combine. He ran a 4.4 [seconds] in the 40."

Good catch!

Pottsville Maroons

Reaction score
Thanks, Dough Boy, I was trying to find that, too. It was from Clarence Hill's article on DeMarcus Ware, "From out of nowhere", posted elsewhere on the board.

:star: