LB Kevin Burnett Ready to Play

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Last year Bradie James played the most dominant middle linebacker Dallas has seen since Ken Norton. There's no shame in having to get behind two multiple Pro Bowlers for your contract extension. If they want Burnett to take James' spot, they have him in the wrong position. He's currently backing up Ware.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
This is all about just making sure we have a player in James. Show us another solid year and he will get his money. Its not like we are gonna dump him and then rely on Burnett who has shown a history of being injury prone. The 3-4 needs lots of good linebackers. We can't afford to have little depth at the position. Its like the old Deion- Jerry Jones commercial, I'll take both boss.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I love the way this linebacking core is being built. We have the potential to have the very best LB core within the next couple of years.

ddh33

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't think this is about comparing Burnett to Bradie. I agree that Burnett has a higher ceiling, but I don't think he's going to take Bradie's spot unless something happens. Bradie James is an emerging player on this defense. I think he's going to keep getting better.

Calicowboy

Reaction score
I was one that was really looking forward to watching K.B. play last season. Didnt exactly go as planned, but start of a new season brings on new hope.

K.B has excellent speed and strength turning the corner while maintaining his balance at an extreme angle. Hopefully will see more of his talents this season!

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
Honestly, this team is just plain being built. Parcells is an unbelievable judge of talent.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
sago1 said:
How can you say we taking the cheap way out at LB.
Everyone who follows the Cowboys is aware of the fact JJ hasn't been resigning LB's to big deals forever. Other than Dat I don't remember anyone getting a big deal.

Anguillidae

Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
Everyone who follows the Cowboys is aware of the fact JJ hasn't been resigning LB's to big deals forever. Other than Dat I don't remember anyone getting a big deal.
Coakley got a bigger contract than Nguyen.

COWBOYFAN

Reaction score
AsthmaField said:
I really like Burnett too. That guy has incredible explosion. I remember last year watching him come on a delayed blitz. He stayed back for a beat or two and then went after the QB. He looked like he was shot out of a cannon. He closed so quickly that I can't see how the QB was able to get the ball out. It was incomplete. Amazing explosion.

He's a rare athlete for LB and his movement skills are outstanding. If he can stay healthy, Burnett is going to be a wonderful player. I think he's going to play a good bit in our nickel this year and eventually be a starter... although probably not this season.

As for James... I think he's a very good ILB. While not in Burnett's class athletically (not many are), he's still a great athlete and he has great intangibles like leadership ability and smarts (team leader at LSU and Academic All-American as a senior). What he did last year wasn't a fluke and I only see him getting better from year-to-year. His second season at SILB in a 3-4 should be a big improvement from his first season at that spot and in that scheme.

I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do in his second season and what he can do with good player's next to him (Ayodele and Carpenter instead of Shanle and Fujita). Should be interesting. I think he'll be very, very good.

I agree. James has improved each year, and I expect even more from him this year. I can't recall where, but I read that JJ is going to sign James AFTER he gets Roy done. That, I believe, is the right move. We can never have enough good LB's in the 3-4. BJ has been bred under Parcells, he's got the size and the punch. He's not going anywhere.

And I'm another who's got great hopes for Burnett.