LB lineup guesses.

CanadaBoys

Reaction score
Just wondering what the best guesses are at this point.

I think we'll see

Ware-Ngyuen-James-Burnett in the 3-4 (though it may take a few games for Burnett to take over for Al)

and Singleton-Ngyuen-Burnett in the 4-3 with Ware at DE.

thoughts?

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
CanadaBoys said:

I think we'll see

Ware-Ngyuen-James-Burnett in the 3-4 (though it may take a few games for Burnett to take over for Al)

thoughts?

Ware-Nguyen-Burnett-Singleton/Shanle/Thorton

This is a pipe dream, but I hope that Burnett is moved inside. I like him better there.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
CanadaBoys said:

I think we'll see

thoughts?
To start the season if we are 3-4.

Singleton, James, Nguyen, & Ware. Burnett will take over for Singleton by season's end.

If we start in the 4-3.

Singelton, Nguyen, and Ware. Same prediction on Burnett.

I think they'll keep Ware at OLB regardless of scheme.

K-Mart

Reaction score
A little worried in the 34 with Ware, Nguyen, James, Burnett. 2 rookies and James who has very little playing time. I was a little surprised Sharper didn't get a longer look from us. Singleton will probably start for the 1st half of the season. A lot of talent with no experience.

blindzebra

Reaction score
Shanle beats out James, who is my defensive pick as surprise cut.

3-4: SOLB Burnett, ILB Shanle, ILB Nguyen, WOLB Ware

Back ups: SOLB Singleton, ILB Fowler, ILB Goolsby, WOLB Thornton

4-3: SLB Burnett, MLB Nguyen, WLB Ware

Back ups: SLB Singleton, Shanle, MLB Fowler, Goolsby, WLB Shanle, Thornton

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I think Ware needs to play some DE in the 4-3...otherwise our pass rush is not really improved. Spears was a good pickup for the 3-4 and will be solid in the 4-3, but he's not expected to be a big time pass rusher; therefore, WAre needs to line up at DE on passing downs imo to improve our pass rush from last year...you can't blitz your OLB in the 4-3 all the time.

blindzebra

Reaction score
wayne_motley said:
I think Ware needs to play some DE in the 4-3...otherwise our pass rush is not really improved. Spears was a good pickup for the 3-4 and will be solid in the 4-3, but he's not expected to be a big time pass rusher; therefore, WAre needs to line up at DE on passing downs imo to improve our pass rush from last year...you can't blitz your OLB in the 4-3 all the time.

I think most people who see him at OLB have him playing 4-3 DE in passing situations.

In a nickel/dime, he'd be the LB most likely to come off the field since Dat and Burnett have better coverage skills.

Nickel: LDE Ellis, DT Spears, DT Glover, RDE Ware

LB Burnett, Nguyen one would come out in dime for an extra DB.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Am I the only one who thinks that Burnett and even Singleton are poor choices for OLB?

Chuck 54

Reaction score
blindzebra said:
I think most people who see him at OLB have him playing 4-3 DE in passing situations.

In a nickel/dime, he'd be the LB most likely to come off the field since Dat and Burnett have better coverage skills.

LB Burnett, Nguyen one would come out in dime for an extra DB.
sounds good to me, but i thought you were indicating that in the nickel/dime passing situations it would make more sense to pull one of the DT's out of the game, slide Spears inside and put Ware at DE...I hope he's on the field all the time in passing situations, not to cover but to rush the QB.

blindzebra

Reaction score
Crown Royal said:
Am I the only one who thinks that Burnett and even Singleton are poor choices for OLB?

If Dat weighed 260, I'd say sure put them inside.

That is what has me worried about the 3-4 versus the run. We are light at NT, RDE, SOLB, and ILB. I can easily see teams running early and often against it, which is why I think we will play A LOT more 4-3 than is being talked about.

I was somewhat relieved at Parcells comments in the PC yesterday, hopefully if things start looking iffy the media won't flick his stubborn switch on like they did last year with Lee and the young QBs.:D

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I agree Wayne. I think Ware will be on the field in every passing situation.

He'll be the RDE when we're in the 4-3.

He'll be the Rush OLB when we're in the 3-4.

I think in most instances, he'll be pinning his ears back and getting after the QB in passing situations. Although he's better in coverage than we had hoped, you don't draft a guy at #11 overall to do that... you draft him that high to sack the QB. I think that's what we'll use him for.

Ware isn't a 4-3 OLB... he's just not. He'll be DE in that scheme.

zagnut

Reaction score
Right now I think we're a little light on talent at OLB for a 3-4. Unless Kalen Thornton or Obogu are able to play significant minutes, the OLB is empty opposite Ware. The 3-4 hinges on Ware making the transition. I think this is where Parcells is bringing up there's a possibility for changing the defense alignment if he sees something in training camp that says no 3-4 this year.

After the draft, it sounded like Burnett was considered an ILB in the mold of a more athletic Pepper Johnson. Maybe Bradie James is more suited to the outside in a 3-4. I don't know. He seems more like a mobile 3-4 inside type too.

I've got the following group:

ROLB: D.Ware (E.Obogu backing up; R.Love on practice squad)
RILB: B.James (giving way to K.Burnett by the Bye)
LILB: D.Nguyen (R.Fowler backing up)
LOLB: Combo of S.Shanle and K.Thornton

4-3 Looks

D.Ware shifts up to the RDE.

ROLB: K.Burnett/B.James
MLB: D.Nguyen/R.Fowler
LOLB: S.Shanle

K.O'Neil kept for special teams. A.Singleton cut if we make the switch, probably even if we don't. We could have used a P.Boulware. Don't know if he's still available.

blindzebra

Reaction score
wayne_motley said:
sounds good to me, but i thought you were indicating that in the nickel/dime passing situations it would make more sense to pull one of the DT's out of the game, slide Spears inside and put Ware at DE...I hope he's on the field all the time in passing situations, not to cover but to rush the QB.

I did say that Wayne.

All the talk about the 3-4 magically causing a pass rush is just that TALK. The facts are we are light at too many spots to hold up to the run in a 3-4, IMO.

A 4-3 lineup with Burnett and Ware at LB gives us 4 solid DL, with two DT that can collapse the pocket, and 3 solid blitzers in Ware, Burnett and Williams. We have used zone blitzes before with Ellis and Spears is a converted TE so he could probably do it as well on the strong side.

Put your best 11 players on the field.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
ROLB----RILB----LILB----LOLB
Ware---Shanle-Nguyen--Burnett
Thornton-James-O'Neil--Singleton
Ogbogu-Fowler-Goolsby--Cooper