LB Markquese Bell - Diamond in the Rough

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Tell the guy to pick up weight and used in a rotational aspect he should be good. He is 6'3, so his frame should be able to acquire more mass.
It's been said that he's up to 212 pounds now -- if so, that should help. Let's see if more is on the way.

quickccc

Reaction score
And we'll still have him at linebacker in the dime, with Wilson and Hooker at safety and our top three corners in the game. I think Overshown will end up being the other linebacker in those situations, but we'll see. I don't think Kendricks will be out there unless the yardage dictates it and Parsons will be at DE in passing situations. I agree on Clark. I guess his main hope is that he outplays Overshown for snaps.
It's a reason why Bell was Not drafted despite safety size at 205 lbs and 4.4 speed.

He has questionable Safety instincts .. and he appears much more better and comfortable moving forward
than he did in reverse as a safety in college.

i don't ever seeing him bulking up to a 240 lb LB, but could be of value as a nickel LB, backup weakside LB at 225 lb range
and most definite special teams help.

We already have Hooker, Donovan and Juanyeh Thomas at the safety crowd.
Who knows what becomes of vet Jaylon Kearse and Israel Mukuamu....

quickccc

Reaction score
Bell and Overshown are not the typical Zimmer style LB's. His defense doesn't seem to use a lot of "tweeners". They would be situational players only on passing plays.

Then again, Zimmer has shown the ability to be flexible in the past. It was Zimmer who converted the Cowboys 4-3 to a 3-4 during Parcel's tenure.

In fact, while doing so, the Cowboys reached the highest defensive ranking in the history of the franchise. Go look. When you think of past defenses you think of Doomsday, and the 90's defense. Those HC's and coordinators never achieved the #1 ranking in either yards or scoring while ranking #2 overall in the other category.

In 2003 the Cowboys defense was ranked #1 overall in yardage and #2 overall in scoring. Mike Zimmer used a 4-3 but employed a lot of 3-4 concepts including blitzing from anywhere. That season, 10 of 11 defensive starters recorded at least one sack.
Zimmer did not have a choice of 3-4 base scheme, as that was Parcells' preference.
Kudos for Zim for adapting to best of his ability.

Also i wouldn't rule Overshown as situational nickel, because of his 230'ish size.
Let's see if Overshown is the type that plays much bigger than what his size suggests.

Derrick Brooks was never the 240-250 LB at 220 'ish and he was HOF extraordinary as a 4-3 OLB.

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
Bell did well in a bad situation, put him back at strong safety would be perfect. We know he can tackle, he now has a good understanding of the LBer position so as a strong safety he can be a complment to our new LBers (Assuming we pick one up in the draft).
With Zimmer, he is not a LBer. Slots into Kearse's role,but with better understanding I would think, having gone thru last year...

lostar2009

Reaction score
It's been said that he's up to 212 pounds now -- if so, that should help. Let's see if more is on the way.
I think he can get up to 220-230 by year 3. If he stay eating and lifting, he should be 250 by year 5-6. All he needs to do is lift and eat.

Look at rookie TB versus 2-3 SB winning TB. He differently bulk in a short spain. Towards the end of TB career he did lean out tho.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Considering he got here 2 years ago as a UDFA and what he has accomplished so far, that is a damn bold statement.
Yeah, great story and all but he is a JAG. End of story. Very little impact player, especially against green bay when he was getting washed out of the play.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
It's a reason why Bell was Not drafted despite safety size at 205 lbs and 4.4 speed.

He has questionable Safety instincts .. and he appears much more better and comfortable moving forward
than he did in reverse as a safety in college.

i don't ever seeing him bulking up to a 240 lb LB, but could be of value as a nickel LB, backup weakside LB at 225 lb range
and most definite special teams help.

We already have Hooker, Donovan and Juanyeh Thomas at the safety crowd.
Who knows what becomes of vet Jaylon Kearse and Israel Mukuamu....
Don't think we re-sign Kearse. Not sure on Mukuamu. I don't know if Zimmer will see him as a free safety, like Quinn did, or try moving him back to corner. I thought he played pretty well as the slot corner in the playoffs two seasons ago, but didn't think he looked good there last preseason. Still, if we don't re-sign Gilmore, which I don't expect him to do, we could use a player who can possibly contribute at two positions (FS and NB) in a pinch.

I see our depth in the secondary being:

CBs Diggs, Bland, Lewis, Mukuamu and Scott (whether Mukuamu would be the fourth corner depends on the development of Scott)
FS Hooker, Thomas and Mukuamu
SS Wilson, Bell and Thomas

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Don't think we re-sign Kearse. Not sure on Mukuamu. I don't know if Zimmer will see him as a free safety, like Quinn did, or try moving him back to corner. I thought he played pretty well as the slot corner in the playoffs two seasons ago, but didn't think he looked good there last preseason. Still, if we don't re-sign Gilmore, which I don't expect him to do, we could use a player who can possibly contribute at two positions (FS and NB) in a pinch.

I see our depth in the secondary being:

CBs Diggs, Bland, Lewis, Mukuamu and Scott (whether Mukuamu would be the fourth corner depends on the development of Scott)
FS Hooker, Thomas and Mukuamu
SS Wilson, Bell and Thomas
Mukuamu can cover big slot receivers, but not the little quick guys.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
I like Bell's mentality playing the game, but he is a little light ...needs to put more bricks on his wheelbarrow, like about 35 pounds more at least. Needs more whataburgers in his diet.