LB Markquese Bell - Diamond in the Rough

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
I'm completely fine with them cutting Kearse and putting Bell in his spot. But Zimmer probably won't use a hybrid saftey/linebacker in his defense so.

Pentagruel

Reaction score
Bell played phenomenally and that is getting washed out by the fact that in specific run situations he is simply too light to be effective. It was Quinn’s job to diagnose that and change personnel when the opponent lines up with a fullback and two tight ends ready to bash your gut in. That’s unfair to Bell though as he was a huge success story in my opinion.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Bell was fantastic. Poster boy for what happens when you play hungry young guys.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Bell is a good football player. However, he is not a good LB defending the run. Not entirely his fault given he was playing out of position and probably had the worst LBs coach in the entire league.
Put him back at SS his natural position and possibly LB on obvious passing downs.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I still want him back at S. But he put up some impressive numbers at LB this year in coverage.

Can you imagine if we had some legit DT's to free up our LB's to make plays?

If you want to go small and fast at LB, then you have to off set that with massive DT's.

If you want to go small and fast at DT, then you need big LB's.

Going small at both position is some next level GM Jethro stupidity.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Marquese Bell is infinitely better suited to play the safety position than he was at linebacker.
Replacing Kearse, he should do a great job. He did fine at LB, all things considered.:thumbup:

Last edited:

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Bell is a good football player, but like Clint Eastwood said, "a man's got to know his limitations". Or rather, a coaching staff's got to know the limitations of a 205 pound LB who's playing behind a thinly spread defensive line and facing a 2 TE heavy set.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
TBH I think that Bell would be a huge asset as either a safety or some other hybrid role. As a pure LB . . . there are some issues. The safety play kind of tailed off last year. Wouldn't mind Bell as starting SS for 1 second.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Marquese Bell is infinitely better suited to play the safety position than he was at linebacker.
Replacing Kearse, he should do a great job. He did fine at LB, all things considered.:thumbup:
He was a udfa as a safety in college. His cover skills are fine as a linebacker in the short field which is why he was used that way.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Bell is a good football player, but like Clint Eastwood said, "a man's got to know his limitations". Or rather, a coaching staff's got to know the limitations of a 205 pound LB who's playing behind a thinly spread defensive line and facing a 2 TE heavy set.
He was 212 at the combine.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Last season, Bell showed us he can play in box vs the run and pass at a high level. Now, in Zimmer's scheme Bell is going to have to show he can cover on the hash, as a robber, deep middle, and perhaps some man on WRs. Honestly, I project, Thomas as a better fit for SS than Bell or Wilson, but I'll be watching to see how they handle added coverage responsibilities.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
That’s great but he got destroyed against the Pack. He’s a S playing LB. We needs LB’s.
Can't blame Bell for being played out of position, it wasn't his decision.
We have a really conditioned strong safety now, and Overshown can figure out how to get snaps behind him.

lostar2009

Reaction score
Tell the guy to pick up weight and used in a rotational aspect he should be good. He is 6'3, so his frame should be able to acquire more mass.