LB Micah Parsons

cnuball21

Reaction score
It’s always strange when I hear this rationale trotted out.

You can literally find examples of HOF type players at every position taken at spots outside of the 1st round. That shouldn’t somehow mean you don’t have to draft those positions in the 1st round.

This times 100.

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
This times 100.

No but based on data certain positions can be found outside of the 1st round vs in it.
QB and CB are two positions that data shows you have a significantly better chance at getting an impact player in the first round vs anywhere else in the draft.
RB and LB show the value outside of the 1st round is much better.

Utilizing data which the Cowboys do not do shows there's certain position that carry better value and where you should draft certain position unless they are a once in a generation type player.
1 tech you do not draft in the 1st round unless he is Vince Wilfolk.
MLB in the top 20 unless he is Luke Keuchly
TE... like ever
RB is another position you should never draft in the 1st
You could even argue interior shouldn't be drafted top 20 unless a unicorn is there.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
Zero concerns around instincts...they are a +.

Team needs to take a deep dive on maturity stuff. If there is a legit concern there pass.
It’s weird how it comes out now with his instincts. I didn’t see anything absurd like jaylon.

FanSince71

Reaction score

You can literally find examples of HOF type players at every position taken at spots outside of the 1st round. That shouldn’t somehow mean you don’t have to draft those positions in the 1st round.

You’re absolutely right! How foolish and presumptive of me to have an opinion. Lesson learned.

cnuball21

Reaction score
No but based on data certain positions can be found outside of the 1st round vs in it.
QB and CB are two positions that data shows you have a significantly better chance at getting an impact player in the first round vs anywhere else in the draft.
RB and LB show the value outside of the 1st round is much better.

Utilizing data which the Cowboys do not do shows there's certain position that carry better value and where you should draft certain position unless they are a once in a generation type player.
1 tech you do not draft in the 1st round unless he is Vince Wilfolk.
MLB in the top 20 unless he is Luke Keuchly
TE... like ever
RB is another position you should never draft in the 1st
You could even argue interior shouldn't be drafted top 20 unless a unicorn is there.

Every team is going to have their draft strategy and I think you have to take what each draft gives you.

- Is taking an off ball LBr at 10 ideal? No. Would I take arguably one of the best LBr prospects in the last decade at 10 in a weak defensive class? Yes.
- Would I take a 1T run stuffer at 10? No. Would like I take a DT at 10 that can give you + run D and pass rush? Yes (see Brown).
- TE? If our team didn't just extend Jarwin with rock solid #2 in Schultz I'd certainly consider Pitts at 10. He's of the 6/8ish best players in this class.
- RB in the top 10? Never...lol.

If this draft was loaded with top end talent maybe I'd view things different but it's not. If you get a good deal to trade down and it makes sense go for it but I don't think it's as black and white as you make it as every class is different.

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
Every team is going to have their draft strategy and I think you have to take what each draft gives you.

- Is taking an off ball LBr at 10 ideal? No. Would I take arguably one of the best LBr prospects in the last decade at 10 in a weak defensive class? Yes.
- Would I take a 1T run stuffer at 10? No. Would like I take a DT at 10 that can give you + run D and pass rush? Yes (see Brown).
- TE? If our team didn't just extend Jarwin with rock solid #2 in Schultz I'd certainly consider Pitts at 10. He's of the 6/8ish best players in this class.
- RB in the top 10? Never...lol.

If this draft was loaded with top end talent maybe I'd view things different but it's not. If you get a good deal to trade down and it makes sense go for it but I don't think it's as black and white as you make it as every class is different.

Parsons is a raw LB who has a ton of potential but is basically a slightly more athletic / less injury risk Jaylon Smith.
Derrick Brown is awful value then, and awful value now to go in the top 10.
TE name a 1st RD TE playing right now that is earning the value of the pick he was selected at.
RB top 10... Never

garyv

Reaction score
There’s rumors about maturity issues. On the draft show they brought it up. Not sure how I feel about it. A top 10 pick needs to be a cornerstone player. And with the upcoming cap restrictions it would be wise to take a premium paid position CB, DE, or OT.

I heard the same thing and also heard him taking bad angles to the ball other than that I don't know how I feel about him overall. This time
of year everytime I think thats the guy I go find NEGATIVE articles about them

cnuball21

Reaction score
Parsons is a raw LB who has a ton of potential but is basically a slightly more athletic / less injury risk Jaylon Smith.
Derrick Brown is awful value then, and awful value now to go in the top 10.
TE name a 1st RD TE playing right now that is earning the value of the pick he was selected at.
RB top 10... Never

Man I strongly disagree. Parsons is Jaylon without the injury concerns and with + instincts.
Brown has the tools to turn into a top 5/10ish DT. Those are guys you can build a defense around.

conner01

Reaction score
him or surtain at 10 I would not be mad.
I fear both will be gone but parsons is a very good lb prospect and instantly upgrades our defense
Surtain is a very good cb prospect who fills a huge need and is a top tier prospect

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
Man I strongly disagree. Parsons is Jaylon without the injury concerns and with + instincts.
Brown has the tools to turn into a top 5/10ish DT. Those are guys you can build a defense around.

He will get gashed in the NFL like Jaylon predetermining the gap he's going to hit.

Derrick Brown might be a top 5/10 1tech which is great, but not worth a top 8 pick nor a big payday.

cnuball21

Reaction score
He will get gashed in the NFL like Jaylon predetermining the gap he's going to hit.

Derrick Brown might be a top 5/10 1tech which is great, but not worth a top 8 pick nor a big payday.

Jaylons scouting report knocked his instincts. Parsons scouting reports have the instincts as a plus. Polar opposites.

I think that is a crazy comparison. When you watch Parsons make plays how quick he’s able to read and react is insane.

And I guess we just have a difference in opinion on what a stud DT can do for your defense.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I hate the Parsons and Jaylon comparisons.

they aren’t that similar people.

They both play linebacker. That’s where the comparison stops.

Yea it makes no sense to me. Pre injury - maybe you can compare them as athletes but as prospects overall not even close.

Parsons is head and shoulders above what Jaylon was as a prospect (even before injury) due to instincts and ability to diagnose.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
Pass.

poor instincts. And I’m not taking a 4-3 LB at 10. And with nickel defenses played so much a third LB is hardly on the field. Are you cutting or benching Jaylon?

phildadon86

Reaction score
Was on the Parsons train a few weeks ago but now im all in on Barmore/Surtain/Farley at 10.
Wow. This is literally my thinking as well lol. I want Farley though. Barmore at 10 is too rich for my blood. Ill take him in a trade down,

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Read this thread

MM is hinting at possible off-the-field issues with Parsons. Im off this train now

conner01

Reaction score

Studies have shown what the odds of a 5 year starter is by round
Every position is different
But at all positions the first round is the highest odds
LB ironically is actually fairly good through round 3 then drops off dramatically
You can hit a HOF player in any round but the odds of hitting a HOF player or even a 5 year starter are higher in higher rounds