LBs key to 3-4 defense

jr40usa

Reaction score
I am not a fan of the 3-4 defense for the Cowboys. I have alway believed we haven't brought in the players to run this defense. In watching teams like NE, Ravens the 2 LBs in the middle seem to be the trigger that make this defense happen..ie.. Ray Lewis. The middle guys have to make plays via ints, study films, tackles(they have to be good tacklers)

When has the last time James or Zach made a interception? Our defense against the run stinks right now because the guys aren't making plays. Not to say this guys aren't good players. They just don't play the 3-4 well.

Just my opinion.

Jake0

Reaction score
Agree, the Bobby Carpenter pick screwed us really bad, we've been drafting way too many OLBs and not paid nearly enough attention to the critical MLB spot. Need to get 2 beasts in the middle that stop the run well yet can still hang in coverage and most importantly, BE SMART. Bradie James is supposed to be our "leader" I guess and the only thing he can do decently is stop the run.

MONT17

Reaction score
Pittsburg goes through LBs like a homeless person goes through Meth! Its not the players its the Culture that's not working! Give us Monte Kiffen and he will make this D hard nosed w shutdown top 5 ranked in 1 offseason, cover 2 n all!

Jake0

Reaction score
Actually you do have a point... James still is not a smart player though, but a likely reason is the coaches aren't teaching him properly.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
I think this defense would blossom if we had a huge NT in the middle.

jr40usa

Reaction score
BP defensive drafts really wasn't that good. Ware seems to be the only true hit and BP didn't really want to draft him at the time he was drafted. Jerry and the scouts made the call.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
jr40usa;2415795 said:
I am not a fan of the 3-4 defense for the Cowboys. I have alway believed we haven't brought in the players to run this defense. In watching teams like NE, Ravens the 2 LBs in the middle seem to be the trigger that make this defense happen..ie.. Ray Lewis. The middle guys have to make plays via ints, study films, tackles(they have to be good tacklers)

When has the last time James or Zach made a interception? Our defense against the run stinks right now because the guys aren't making plays. Not to say this guys aren't good players. They just don't play the 3-4 well.

Just my opinion.

Welcome to the Draft a MLB Club. We need a faster but still big and tough MLB like Beason. I think Willis could play MLB on this team.

And I'd actually like a bigger NT to go along with Ratliff. Tank was supposed to be that guy.

And a SS.

There's my Christmas.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
jobberone;2416964 said:
Welcome to the Draft a MLB Club. We need a faster but still big and tough MLB like Beason. I think Willis could play MLB on this team.

And I'd actually like a bigger NT to go along with Ratliff. Tank was supposed to be that guy.

And a SS.

There's my Christmas.
and a backup QB.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobberone

And a SS.

There's my Christmas.

windward;2416968 said:
and a backup QB.

I think we need to reaccess our draft philosophy regarding ILB, S, and QB. It appears we are going to go after Beck at QB. But I think they should give a lot of consideration into drafting QBs getting value for the pick. Then developing a new franchise QB or getting positive draft pick resultes.

I really like the idea the OP had about going after a MLB.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
I could live with Beck as the #2 next year if we draft a QB to develop. (Not sold on Beck's long-term potential)
Otherwise we'd be better served getting a guy like Losman.