Lefty’s debacle

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The course dried out Saturday with the winds..... it happens

Whatever the set up, Koepka won and Fleetwood finished second......just like last year at an "easy" Open..... everyone plays the same course

Some guys are just better and some are just bitter they never won the Open..... and I love Phil

That is not true. The guys who payed in the morning, played on an entirely different course. Look, the USGA has already publicly admitted the error it made on saturday. No point arguing it.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I understand but that doesn’t relieve Phil of just criticism.

He's been criticized and will look like a buffoon for generations as that clip will play forever. I think he's paid the price if the 10 on the hole isn't enough blood for you.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
That is not true. The guys who payed in the morning, played on an entirely different course. Look, the USGA has already publicly admitted the error it made on saturday. No point arguing it.
They don't control the weather .......quit crying and play golf

last year was too easy and this year was too hard.......but it is the same guys at the top

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
He's been criticized and will look like a buffoon for generations as that clip will play forever. I think he's paid the price if the 10 on the hole isn't enough blood for you.
You can dance around it all you want...... he should have been DQ'd

They DQ'd Johnson for that questionable sand trap ruling...... this was egregious and Phil will survive A DQ too

jimmy40

Reaction score
The course dried out Saturday with the winds..... it happens

Whatever the set up, Koepka won and Fleetwood finished second......just like last year at an "easy" Open..... everyone plays the same course

Some guys are just better and some are just bitter they never won the Open..... and I love Phil
the problem was everyone didn't play the same course, not even close, the first 11 groups Saturday were a full 4 shots better than the last 11, that's unbelievable. This isn't The Open where everyone knows going in that there will be players that have no chance because of the luck of the draw with the weather.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They don't control the weather .......quit crying and play golf

last year was too easy and this year was too hard.......but it is the same guys at the top

The USGA admitted a mistake. Thats not crying. It is a fact that the course was unfair saturday, particularly to the guys who teed off later. Does that excuse Phil? No. But it doesn't absolve the USGA in the debacle saturday either. When one of the greatest putters we've ever seen is putting the ball off the green, that is the USGA.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
The USGA admitted a mistake. Thats not crying. It is a fact that the course was unfair saturday, particularly to the guys who teed off later. Does that excuse Phil? No. But it doesn't absolve the USGA in the debacle saturday either. When one of the greatest putters we've ever seen is putting the ball off the green, that is the USGA.
DJohnson shot even par on the Back 9 Saturday

He choked on the first 5 holes early

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

They DQ'd Johnson for that questionable sand trap ruling...... this was egregious and Phil will survive A DQ too

Your issue is with the USGA for not DQing him. To his credit, Phil did offer to voluntarily withdraw.

jimmy40

Reaction score

thought Johnson was penalized 2 stokes and missed the playoff

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
It is like a player coming off the sidelines to stop a KO return for a TD

It isn't just a penalty for too many men on the field....it is also ruled a TD and the player is ejected and/or suspended

It is blatant cheating

Being DQ'd is being put out of his misery but it sets the precedent for future infractions

Maybe Caddies can start knocking in putts with their feet or using a net to stop balls from going OB

Just take the penalty and make a mockery of the rules and the sport

jimmy40

Reaction score

It isn't just a penalty for too many men on the field....it is also ruled a TD and the player is ejected and/or suspended

It is blatant cheating

Being DQ'd is being put out of his misery but it sets the precedent for future infractions

Maybe Caddies can start knocking in putts with their feet or using a net to stop balls from going OB

damn, Joe Buck posts here under the name Nightman

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

It is blatant cheating

Cheating implies he gained an unfair advantage on the field. That is why their is a rule and a 2 stroke penalty was assessed to correct the unfair advantage he gained. You can argue until your blue in the face about the DQ but I disagree and so did the USGA.

jimmy40

Reaction score
can't wait till The Travelers this week when everyone starts cheating because of that damn Phil Mickelson, this is going to be awesome

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Cheating implies he gained an unfair advantage on the field. That is why their is a rule and a 2 stroke penalty was assessed to correct the unfair advantage he gained. You can argue until your blue in the face about the DQ but I disagree and so did the USGA.
He admitted he did to gain an advantage.....if it goes off the green he could take a 12

he still got a 10 but he admitted he did the math and decided to juke the rules to his advantage

That is not allowed either...... there is more than 1 rule in rule book

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
can't wait till The Travelers this week when everyone starts cheating because of that damn Phil Mickelson, this is going to be awesome
If a bunch of hippies are in charge they will.......Anarchy

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
What they should change are the idiots who decided to set up the Golf Course the way they did. I don't know, I'm not a big "Watch Golf" person but I do understand that some people do like to. That said, who enjoys watching what everybody saw this past week? I understand challenge but that was just bad TV. If I were Fox, I'd be pissed. People don't tune it to watch the greatest players in the world look like amateurs. Nobody shot under par for the entire tourney, I don't believe.

Phil should not have done what he did but it's really not the biggest problem IMO. This is not the first time the USDA has done this, and recently. They need to stop screwing around and make the course playable so that the greatest golfers in the world can do what they do, which is entertain us.

JMO

I do. It's the U.S. Open and suppose to be the hardest week of golf any of these players experience in the season. It was. And this isn't a new strategy for the U.S. Open. +1 won at Merion in 2013, +1 at Olympic Club in 2012, E at Pebble in 2010, +5 at Oakmont in 2007, and +5 at Winged Foot in 2006. The players expect it and you heard very little complaining out of them. I personally love watching this type of golf.

And why blame the USDA. The US Department Of Agriculture couldn't possibly have known what the weather conditions would be that day ;).

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I do. It's the U.S. Open and suppose to be the hardest week of golf any of these players experience in the season. It was. And this isn't a new strategy for the U.S. Open. +1 won at Merion in 2013, +1 at Olympic Club in 2012, E at Pebble in 2010, +5 at Oakmont in 2007, and +5 at Winged Foot in 2006. The players expect it and you heard very little complaining out of them. I personally love watching this type of golf.

And why blame the USDA. The US Department Of Agriculture couldn't possibly have known what the weather conditions would be that day ;).

USGA is responsible for pin placements and this is not the first time this has happened. Same thing last year. You can defend the USDA if you wish but the goal here, is to have popular support of the sport and what is televised. The goal is to draw audience and to have a broad fan base. The goal is not to put on hours of crappy TV, for everybody to watch. They won't, they will just go out and find something else to do and how does that help anybody or anything?

You have my apologies for saying USDA, as opposed to the USGA. But hey, here's an idea, maybe we should give the USDA a shot. They couldn't screw it up any more the the USGA has. ;)

Say what you want but the numbers aren't lying here. Rating are dropping and I don't feel like this type of showing helps that.

JMO

uvaballa

Reaction score
I haven’t checked the ratings but if they dropped during the Open it probably had more to do with World Cup. The US open tends to have higher scores and it doesn’t bother me watching the guys struggle some.