Twitter: Leighton Vander Esch underwent surgery on his neck

Section446

Reaction score
If he returns to form, great! If he's what he was last year, do us a favor and retire.

nobody

Reaction score
I hope the surgery results are a stunning success. Whether he returns to football or not, any young man who needs neck surgery after playing football for our entertainment deserves our well-wishing, regardless if we want him as a player afterward or not.

nobody

Reaction score
I just don’t understand how the surgery was described as “non-invasive”?

Maybe because they didn't bring troops in to secure the beachhead first? lol

I think it has to do with rupturing the protective coating around the spinal column maybe? Or maybe because they can do it laparoscopically?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It was actually well known before the draft that he had a neck issue, but the Cowboys decided to roll the dice anyways just like with Jaylon.

That is why he lasted to pick 19, if totally healthy with no neck issues he would have been a top 5 pick.

Disagree, I have never heard this before, top 5. No way. He was slated in the middle somewhere to the early 20's. From every player rankings and mocks. The ones I seen anyway.
Do you have a link to this?

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I guess I will ask the question......why did he wait until now? Why not a month or two ago?
Probably had swelling in his neck.

They would wait for it to calm down before anything. Neck and back issues have other issues that often make it more complicated.

This whole situation is very hazy to me.

Our team MUST STOP drafting players with injury histories, drug histories and character histories.

I know they like to think they are being progressive by taking risk players and hoping to parlay a higher result by doing it.

But it really means the percentages for more issues are going to be there.

Gregory, Wolf Hunter, Jaylon and others underline this approach and suspensions and prolonged injury rehabs are the norm.

This means declined performance, having to feature less talented players to replace them and using a good portion of the cap to keep them even if they are not available.

This draft is going to be critical to our remaining competitive.

We will see.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
It was actually well known before the draft that he had a neck issue, but the Cowboys decided to roll the dice anyways just like with Jaylon.

That is why he lasted to pick 19, if totally healthy with no neck issues he would have been a top 5 pick.

From what I read, LVE outright denied neck issues and the x-rays outside of one came back fine. I did not read anything about his spine, just that he was held out for 6 weeks in college which LVE said was misdiagnosed concussion.

Either most scouts are garbage at doing their homework, or someone got some hush money.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Not sure if you're mocking the FO but it was known. Some teams had him removed from their board due to the neck concern.

Can you post the reports? There was ONE report that he had a SUPPOSED neck injury in college, which Vander Esch outright denied - I read nothing about spinal stenosis. Hell, just a couple months ago I was arguing with people on here telling me to post evidence of his neck problems, which I provided multiple links how it wasn't adding up that LVE just had a misdiagnosed concussion in college that had him missing 6 weeks.

The original report about his neck was shot down and the "5 x-rays came back that his neck is fine" was referenced.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
For those looking for links, here is what I'm talking about

https://www.profootballweekly.com/2...sputes-leighton-vander-esch-concerns/a45fktj/

"Upon further evaluation, Vander Esch was found to have suffered a stinger — an extremely common injury among linebackers especially — and began wearing a neckroll thereafter once he returned to the field. Vander Esch later visited with a chiropractor, who quickly adjusted him, relieved the pain from the pinched nerve and helped clear his path to return to the field."

Here is LVE outright denying it

"Vander Esch, who was reported to have structural concerns with his neck prior to the draft, denies any issues with his health, Jon Machota of the Dallas Morning News reports. "I don't know where [those reports] came from," the linebacker said after being selected with the 19th overall pick. "I never had a stinger. I've had no issues. They took like a bad CT scan at the combine and people started talking about it."

So again, either the league did not do their homework here or someone got thrown a little money to look the other way. Came back with a 4 out of 5 medical grade.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Can you post the reports? There was ONE report that he had a SUPPOSED neck injury in college, which Vander Esch outright denied - I read nothing about spinal stenosis. Hell, just a couple months ago I was arguing with people on here telling me to post evidence of his neck problems, which I provided multiple links how it wasn't adding up that LVE just had a misdiagnosed concussion in college that had him missing 6 weeks.

The original report about his neck was shot down and the "5 x-rays came back that his neck is fine" was referenced.
I don't know then, I learned that it was known after the fact but saw this looking it up just now
https://www.idahostatesman.com/spor...ty/boise-state-football/article209068359.html
Looks to follow what you're saying and conflicting statements from his agent and some teams removing him due to the rumor. Either way it was out there.

Last edited:

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I don't know then, I learned that it was known after the fact but saw this looking it up just now
https://www.idahostatesman.com/spor...ty/boise-state-football/article209068359.html

That's the report that was being vehemently denied, even by LVE himself. But it didn't mention anything about Stenosis, just that there was speculation he had a stinger (again, which LVE denied)

Like I said, either the NFL is terrible with medical evaluations or someone got paid to hush up.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
For those looking for links, here is what I'm talking about

https://www.profootballweekly.com/2...sputes-leighton-vander-esch-concerns/a45fktj/

"Upon further evaluation, Vander Esch was found to have suffered a stinger — an extremely common injury among linebackers especially — and began wearing a neckroll thereafter once he returned to the field. Vander Esch later visited with a chiropractor, who quickly adjusted him, relieved the pain from the pinched nerve and helped clear his path to return to the field."

Here is LVE outright denying it

"Vander Esch, who was reported to have structural concerns with his neck prior to the draft, denies any issues with his health, Jon Machota of the Dallas Morning News reports. "I don't know where [those reports] came from," the linebacker said after being selected with the 19th overall pick. "I never had a stinger. I've had no issues. They took like a bad CT scan at the combine and people started talking about it."

So again, either the league did not do their homework here or someone got thrown a little money to look the other way. Came back with a 4 out of 5 medical grade.
So LVE is denying even the stinger but was reported to have received treatment for it...why do that if it is common and no biggie? Agree smells funny in here.

erod

Reaction score
If they did spinal fusion, he needs to retire immediately.

A linebacker does not need to be cracking skulls with lead fullbacks with a fused spine.