CFZ Let’s take the fan glasses off for a moment

Whyjerry

Reaction score
How many thought they would be 4-2 when Dak went down? They played like crap last night and almost came back. Rush is terrible. They were very lucky to win 4 with him. The defense is beastly. Personally I think that will be a difference maker all season.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Give me a cup of your optimism, Bob. I would really like a cup. I fail to understand the ability to remain optimistic in a time like this.
Every aspect of this team is better than expected, especially given the unexpected circumstances.

We're 4-2 with two very winnable games left to finish out the first half of the season.

Even if we split those and end the first half at 5-3, the team has shown it is better than last years team and in a better situation to handle the real season coming up.

This team seems to have a ton of heart, on both sides of the ball. Something we haven't seen for awhile. The bus is running better than it has in years and is capable of going quite far with a good driver.

It's also a young team with a window that's opening.

Trust me, I ain't no pumper of sunshine. I turn over all the rocks and ask all the questions to base an opinion on. I didn't buy in to last seasons great start. This year seems much different.

This team is in a good spot and is a tweak or two from being legit contenders.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Let me just say the obvious that will be a hard pill for some fans here to swallow- the better team won last night. But that doesn’t mean by December Filly will still be a better team. It takes longer than six games to crown a champ!

And- Let’s take the fan glasses off and be objective here-
  • We are very fortunate to be 4-2. After the Tampa game, did any one of us think after six games we would be 4-2?
  • We are STILL very much in the NFC East race and certainly in the mix for making the playoffs.
  • We lost last night for several reasons-
    • We had three turnovers and the e-girls had none.
    • We had 10 penalties- 2 of which were stupid mental mistakes where two of our best defensive players lost their cool.
    • We lost because Filly exploited a real defensive weakness we certainly have and need to improve on- stopping the run especially to the outside.
    • Hate to say it, but it’s true- Filly made more key plays at critical moments than we did. That TD drive they had in the 4th qtr when we had all the momentum was what sealed it. They executed better than we did. Plain and simple.
    • We went 4-1 with our backup QB. I avoid the silly “Dak vs Rush” hyperbole because in the end, whatever any of our fans think, Dak is the starter. Rush deserves a lot of credit for sure. But he’s not an NFL starter. And I just want the ‘Boys to win whoever starts at QB.
  • On the bright side:
    • We have only played 35% of the season. There is a ton of football left to be played. A lot can and will happen that we don’t foresee.
    • This defense actually played pretty well last night in the second half. It’s still a top 5 D in the league.
    • The running game is showing signs of gaining some traction. The OL has improved.
Final word on this- don’t look at the schedule and assume anything. Every single game on the schedule will be challenging. It will for the e-girls too! The NFL is the most unpredictable league in sports. We have a ton of football left to play.

Well said. This team's goals are still out in front and I think no one should think any different about what this year's team can be after last night. A few bad breaks in the second quarter and the game got out of hand. It is as simple as that. The defense played pretty well considering the very tough position the offense continued to put them in, and the offense actually showed some life/ability to run the ball on a very good defensive front in the second half.

The Eagles are not an unstoppable juggernaut. Hurts is pretty much what he has shown his whole career with better play calling and talent surrounding him. I think the outcome may be a little different when we play them again later this season.

We have two very winnable games coming up before the bye and our starting QB should be back in the mix any day now. With any luck we could very well be 6-2 heading into the bye and honestly that is far better than any of us could have possibly expected when Dak went down. Heck, even with Dak many people on this board (myself included) thought this was at best an 8 or 9 win team and it is looking like they are on track to win 10+. This team is out performing expectations and when is the last time that could be said about the Dallas Cowboys?

Edit: I just looked at the schedule and would not be shocked if the Cowboys manage to win 8 or 9 more games this season. We have now entered the very soft back half of games where we can really cash in.

Last edited:

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A concern I have over a pattern we have seen for too long now- penalties. We had ten penalties last night and at least three of them were of the stupid variety either costing us 15 yards and/or giving our opponent a first down at a critical moment.

I think Big Mac deserves both some credit for keeping this team afloat after 6 games. And he also deserves some blame for this on-going penalty problem and a general lack of command in key moments of games. Not throwing a challenge flag last night when Lamb clearly made that first down was a key mistake in a critical moment of the game.

These penalties and lack of attention to detail are the kind of thing that literally costs you a playoff game or key regular season game. This must improve if we have serious intentions for post season success.

Praxit

Reaction score
..in other words, buckle up.

Dallas football will be good this year.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
..in other words, buckle up.

Dallas football will be good this year.
I think it’s hard for all of us as fans to take things a game at a time. We win a game convincingly and we think we’re incapable of playing poorly again. We lose (like last night) and whatever was good before is now trash. It’s just what fans do.

We tend to look at the schedule and count wins when actually every single game on the schedule could be a win or a loss. After eaglets start 6-0, I saw several fans predicting they will go 14-0 before losing. I think that’s highly unlikely. But again, that’s just the way we fans think sometimes.

We’ve played 35% of the season. Honestly I have no idea who we will beat and who will beat us. It’s the NFL!

Creeper

Reaction score
I agree, the season is long and a lot can happen. If the Eagles lose Hurts the way the Cowboys lost Dak I think their season would come apart too.

It is not that Hurts is so good, but like Parsons, Hurts makes the other team account for him. The threat of him running changes the defense. You could see the entire Cowboys defense last night keep one eye on Hurts and the other on the play which caused some hesitation. It killed some of their aggressiveness.

I do think teams will catch up to the Eagles offense at some point. And they will try to force Hurts to stay in the pocket and throw the football to make plays. He is not good when that happens.

As I said, I am optimistic for Dallas after last night. I think the defense showed they are for real. Yes, they need to tighten up against the run but overall they are a tough defense to score against. Just don't give up possessions on offense. 3 INTs and that stupid 4th down call after they should have gotten the first down had they called for a replay, gave the Eagles too much field position. Let's hope when Dak gets back he takes better care of the football.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree, the season is long and a lot can happen. If the Eagles lose Hurts the way the Cowboys lost Dak I think their season would come apart too.

It is not that Hurts is so good, but like Parsons, Hurts makes the other team account for him. The threat of him running changes the defense. You could see the entire Cowboys defense last night keep one eye on Hurts and the other on the play which caused some hesitation. It killed some of their aggressiveness.

I do think teams will catch up to the Eagles offense at some point. And they will try to force Hurts to stay in the pocket and throw the football to make plays. He is not good when that happens.

As I said, I am optimistic for Dallas after last night. I think the defense showed they are for real. Yes, they need to tighten up against the run but overall they are a tough defense to score against. Just don't give up possessions on offense. 3 INTs and that stupid 4th down call after they should have gotten the first down had they called for a replay, gave the Eagles too much field position. Let's hope when Dak gets back he takes better care of the football.
The defense held the eagles to 268 total yards. That alone is encouraging. Those 3 turnovers, stupid penalties and missed opportunity to overturn that call when Lamb got the first down are the 3 biggest reasons we lost.

We would be hard pressed to find any team capable of winning when you lose the TO battle 3-0.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
One minor point. While Diggs' penalty was idiotic, it actually caused the Eagles to go for 2 and we stopped them. So his stupidity paid off a little.

Bing

Reaction score
Some additional positives from last night:
  • 134 yards rushing on 26 attempt- 5.2 yards/attempt
  • 0 sacks allowed on 38 pass attempts
  • 4 sacks by defense on 29 drop backs
  • Allowed 3.5 yard/attempt rushing (that crucial 4th Q drive- not so good)

Interceptions, penalties (Fowler offsides was terrible!) a call here and there (Cee Dee 1st down stretch) were the difference.
We will be better when we meet again- and we will win! Might not win division but we will make the playoffs and be a very dangerous team (barring injuries).

Lol love your attitude but let's get serious here. The Dallas Cowboys have not been a very dangerous team this century.

OGCowboy

Reaction score
I’m not that concerned at all.....birds are good but I simply wasn’t that impressed. They will lose games.
This team can compete with and beat Philly. I truly believe that
Enjoy it Philly, you got the breaks this time....

75boyz

Reaction score
Put away the anointing oil to any NFC favorites playing so well right now.

11 NFL games to play is an eternity and combined with injuries could easily change the current NFC landscape picture to something entirely different by year's end.

Cowboys!

cnuball21

Reaction score
Let me just say the obvious that will be a hard pill for some fans here to swallow- the better team won last night. But that doesn’t mean by December Filly will still be a better team. It takes longer than six games to crown a champ!

• We are very fortunate to be 4-2. After the Tampa game, did any one of us think after six games we would be 4-2?
  • We are STILL very much in the NFC East race and certainly in the mix for making the playoffs.
    • We had 10 penalties- 2 of which were stupid mental mistakes where two of our best defensive players lost their cool.
    • We lost because Filly exploited a real defensive weakness we certainly have and need to improve on- stopping the run especially to the outside.
    • Hate to say it, but it’s true- Filly made more key plays at critical moments than we did. That TD drive they had in the 4th qtr when we had all the momentum was what sealed it. They executed better than we did. Plain and simple.
    • We went 4-1 with our backup QB. I avoid the silly “Dak vs Rush” hyperbole because in the end, whatever any of our fans think, Dak is the starter. Rush deserves a lot of credit for sure. But he’s not an NFL starter. And I just want the ‘Boys to win whoever starts at QB.
  • On the bright side:
    • We have only played 35% of the season. There is a ton of football left to be played. A lot can and will happen that we don’t foresee.
    • This defense actually played pretty well last night in the second half. It’s still a top 5 D in the league.
    • The running game is showing signs of gaining some traction. The OL has improved.
Final word on this- don’t look at the schedule and assume anything. Every single game on the schedule will be challenging. It will for the e-girls too! The NFL is the most unpredictable league in sports. We have a ton of football left to play.

I'm still very optimistic about the season. I thought we were done as soon as Dak got injured but the defense picked us up AND the rest of the NFC kinda sucks this year.

Getting #4 back puts us right back in the hunt to win the division and / or get in via Wild Card.

catiii

Reaction score
A concern I have over a pattern we have seen for too long now- penalties. We had ten penalties last night and at least three of them were of the stupid variety either costing us 15 yards and/or giving our opponent a first down at a critical moment.

I think Big Mac deserves both some credit for keeping this team afloat after 6 games. And he also deserves some blame for this on-going penalty problem and a general lack of command in key moments of games. Not throwing a challenge flag last night when Lamb clearly made that first down was a key mistake in a critical moment of the game.

These penalties and lack of attention to detail are the kind of thing that literally costs you a playoff game or key regular season game. This must improve if we have serious intentions for post season success.
He was daydreaming about his next 3 Big Macs and fries meal.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score

• On the bright side:
Once again, I reject your premise while I agree with most of what you said. The "e-girls" will be coming to us later in the season. While that game may not even matter when it comes to playoff ramifications, it will matter to our personal pride. With our starting QB, the Cowboys are the better team. I give credit to the "e-girls" for being who they are with their starting QB. However, I give credit to the Cowboys with one hand tied behind their back with a backup QB. Under those circumstances, yes the better team won.

75boyz

Reaction score

Since arriving here there have been several in game decisions at critical junctures that have become his signature. The penalties are bad enough just by themselves but the clutch moment coaching gaffes/bad decisions are unforgivable considering his so called SB winning coach resume.

I'm not a fan.

Especially against playoff level competition.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Give me a cup of your optimism, Bob. I would really like a cup. I fail to understand the ability to remain optimistic in a time like this.
How about this, we lost the game because we played a backup QB with no arm and still only lost by 9 points.