Let us talk about Diggs

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
Say he gets 5-7 INT this year. Do we extend next year, franchise tag, let him play it out and try and sign in offseason?

If we do extend, what is going to be his price?

Jaire Alexander is making 21M a year
Jalen Ramsey is making 20M a year
Marshon Lattimore is making 19.5M a year
Byron Jones is making 16M a year
Marcus Peters is making 14M a year

Where does Diggs fit in. Do we have to offer him 20-22M a year to lock him in for 4-6 years, or can we get him signed to a long term deal at 17 or so million a year for long term? Should we even try or see how next season plays out and franchise tag him for around 18.5M and definitely be on the hook for the 20M range after that tag.

We're gonna have serious issues soon. Not worried about Diggs, as he'll be a top 5 paid CB, though prob not here.

Why?

2023 will be the year of the Micah Parsons problem. Parsons will want...no, DEMAND....to not just be the highest paid defensive player in history, but will demand a contract that will blur the lines between franchise QB money, and non-franchise qb money. It will be a cap killer. Mega contracts often ruin teams even for elite QBs (look at the talent GB has had to let go because of AR, and he's a HOFer! Yet, how many SB have they won since he broke their bank? 0

And I'm not even blaming Parsons. His agent should get fired if he demands any less. But, it will turn the Boys into a a defense of 1 or 2 stars plus a bunch of cheap scrubs if they agree to it.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Let him play out his final year. If he is still a boss at CB then offer him a monster deal and hope and pray that he still cares about football after he signs it. If you extend him early all you do is throw away his most valuable year he will ever have. You can also franchise tag him. Perfectly acceptable.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Let him play out his final year. If he is still a boss at CB then offer him a monster deal and hope and pray that he still cares about football after he signs it. If you extend him early all you do is throw away his most valuable year he will ever have. You can also franchise tag him. Perfectly acceptable.
What good teams let elite corners go into their contract year without a contract?

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Say he gets 5-7 INT this year. Do we extend next year, franchise tag, let him play it out and try and sign in offseason?

If we do extend, what is going to be his price?

Jaire Alexander is making 21M a year
Jalen Ramsey is making 20M a year
Marshon Lattimore is making 19.5M a year
Byron Jones is making 16M a year
Marcus Peters is making 14M a year

Where does Diggs fit in. Do we have to offer him 20-22M a year to lock him in for 4-6 years, or can we get him signed to a long term deal at 17 or so million a year for long term? Should we even try or see how next season plays out and franchise tag him for around 18.5M and definitely be on the hook for the 20M range after that tag.
I dig me some Diggs.

HungryLion

Reaction score
It was a "maybe" because the other two are technically in line to get paid first. Parsons has the 5th year option like Ceedee and I'm almost 100 percent certain the Jones boys will prolong and fumble that negotiation.

I can hear Stephen talking about “pie” and referring to Parsons as a “off ball linebacker” already.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
What good teams let elite corners go into their contract year without a contract?
It is only my opinion. I do not know the history of early CB contract extensions across the NFL. Feel free to do the research and prove me wrong. What I can say for sure though is that early contract extensions have been an overall bad thing for the Cowboys from recent memory. I can also say that the franchise tag generally proven to be effective for us. I can also say that if 2 years from now we offer Diggs 25 million a year for 5 years and he says no and goes some where else we will have 25 million a year more to spend elsewhere. Again I love Diggs. Fantastic player. In full support of having him on the team long term on a huge deal. Not in support of missing out on his most valuable years as a player. Getting all pro level play from guys like Diggs and Parsons basically for free is hard carrying this team.

NeathBlue

Reaction score
Could easily see a contract in the 6 year $150 million range…
Trying to think if we’ve drafted a better CB than Diggs since Everson Walls… only one close I can think would be Kevin Smith, who was special but never the same after his Achilles injury.

Diggs will be paid and he deserves it.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
Diggs will be the highest paid DB whenever he gets his contract extension.
I hope it's not on the Cowboys. Can't afford to be throwing out outrageous contracts if they want to be relevant in the NFL.