CFZ Let Wil McClay lead

quickccc

Reaction score
My one big wish list going into the offseason with players per free agency, trades and NFL Draft is ...let guru Wil McClay lead the way.

- Sure Stephen "Cap Boy" Jones will determine the contract dollar amount this team will commit to certain players whether on the roster, or from outside.
And no doubt has a hand in what draft picks and rounds will be determined in any possible trades

- But McClay's groups scouts, film studies, and evaluate the outsiders, both from around the NFL, and especially in the NFL draft.

- And the NFL draft is most definitely where i want McClay leading and determining the players selected in respective rounds.

- No Defensive Coordinator in his ear urging him to hurry and pick this and that player early on ..
No more Taco Charltons and Nahshon Wrights in early rounds.

It's not always gonna be a golden fleece with McClay, and we'll get the Escobars, Josephs, McGovern but I've become to trust him with hits- mistakes.
He's won more than he has lost. And he won't buckle to what media and fans want.

- Many questioned the LVE pick, but he was lights out his rookie year and Pro bowl, many questioned Lamb pick over defensive picks, he's a Pro Bowler
and easily our lead feature WR.

- Many questioned the Tyler Smith pick in first round last year. But he's a bright spot for this team last year and looks to be our future star at LT.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
McClay still needs to look at the type of players the coaches want. He can find the players and present them to the team. But the coaches still need input.

I think Jerry has not been involved with any of these decisions as much as the fans still claim.

quickccc

Reaction score
McClay still needs to look at the type of players the coaches want. He can find the players and present them to the team. But the coaches still need input.

I think Jerry has not been involved with any of these decisions as much as the fans still claim.

Agree.

Coaches should be involved and input needed.. to a certain extent.

But I say let Wil McClay determined when and what round to get that particular player.

- It’s hard for me to believe McClay had CB Nashon Wright on his draft board as high as the 3rd round, even with Dan Quinn personally working Wright out
that no doubt urged Quinn to influence McClay to draft him much earlier than expected.

- I think same way a Daron Bland was selected in the late rounds, so a Nashon Wright should have been too.

- The Taco Charlton pick has been well told.

- Agree with Jerry perceived decisions. .

Adreme

Reaction score
My one big wish list going into the offseason with players per free agency, trades and NFL Draft is ...let guru Wil McClay lead the way.

- Sure Stephen "Cap Boy" Jones will determine the contract dollar amount this team will commit to certain players whether on the roster, or from outside.
And no doubt has a hand in what draft picks and rounds will be determined in any possible trades

- But McClay's groups scouts, film studies, and evaluate the outsiders, both from around the NFL, and especially in the NFL draft.

- And the NFL draft is most definitely where i want McClay leading and determining the players selected in respective rounds.

- No Defensive Coordinator in his ear urging him to hurry and pick this and that player early on ..

It's not always gonna be a golden fleece with McClay, and we'll get the Escobars, Josephs, McGovern but I've become to trust him with hits- mistakes.
He's won more than he has lost. And he won't buckle to what media and fans want.

- Many questioned the LVE pick, but he was lights out his rookie year and Pro bowl, many questioned Lamb pick over defensive picks, he's a Pro Bowler

- Many questioned the Tyler Smith pick in first round last year. But he's a bright spot for this team last year and looks to be our future star at LT.
He looks like the future starter but its very premature to say he looks like a star.

The big problem with the Cowboys drafting though is that they are great in the first round and good in the second but then it kind of falls apart. You would expect your later round picks to while not be stars or even great starters to at least be decent, but largely they just look like scrubs which leads to the team being very top heavy. They have the stars but they lack the depth to help those stars and that is because the 3rd and beyond is not a round they are great at.

exciter

Reaction score

Winner winner chicken dinner. It should be fairly obvious Jones has been taking a back seat to McClay for a few years now. Just no possible way he could have been that lucky with later picks when compared to that first 15 years w/out Jimmy. Now they just need to take away his 2nd round privileges!!!!

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Most coaches are not great talent evaluators because by the nature of their business effort gets over rewarded.

How many times have you heard coaches praise players without effort involved? They love those guys that push themselves to the limit; however, they might not be as effective as a more naturally talented player who applies only 85-90% effort.

When they turn pro it is 100% about results. That’s the business of scouting which is not coaching.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
He’s done a phenomenal job with the draft.

Free Agency has just been a huge disappointment as well as overpaying our own players.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Drafting has improved. No doubt.

But some of you guys are falling for McClay the same way you did for Garrett, Kris Richard, Brian Stewart, Kellen Moore, etc.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
:huh:
McClay finds them, he doesn't coach them.
And they are far better now than with any of those coaches.

Not the same comparison there.
He's a guy who has done well in the unique circumstances of a Jerry Jones-led football team. He won't be fired for bad picks because the owner and the son sign off on each one. He won't challenge them becuase he is well compensated. The Jones aren't threatened by him and he does most of the hard part of the job (watching countless film, evaluating depth charts, etc) that most GM's that don't also own the team normally have to.

I would be curious to see how McClay would do on another team where he'd be fully accountable and have the ultimate say on personnel.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's a guy who has done well in the unique circumstances of a Jerry Jones-led football team. He won't be fired for bad picks because the owner and the son sign off on each one. He won't challenge them becuase he is well compensated. The Jones aren't threatened by him and he does most of the hard part of the job (watching countless film, evaluating depth charts, etc) that most GM's that don't also own the team normally have to.

I would be curious to see how McClay would do on another team where he'd be fully accountable and have the ultimate say on personnel.
Jerry is GM in name only. So the film is not one of his things. GM's have scouts that watches players and film, and puts it together for them. So that is McClay's job to take it from there.
Jerry's GM title is ego driven. He does not need to watch the film and decide, as he goes by McClay and the coaches.

Fans use that GM title against him more so because they just don't like him, than the reality of it all.

conner01

Reaction score
He looks like the future starter but its very premature to say he looks like a star.

The big problem with the Cowboys drafting though is that they are great in the first round and good in the second but then it kind of falls apart. You would expect your later round picks to while not be stars or even great starters to at least be decent, but largely they just look like scrubs which leads to the team being very top heavy. They have the stars but they lack the depth to help those stars and that is because the 3rd and beyond is not a round they are great at.
Dallas is one of the best drafting teams in the league

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"Guru": Someone who preferred Taco Charlton over T.J. Watt.
No one is perfect. It's NEVER happened in this league. Even the great Jimmy Johnson has some big misses. Overall McClay has far more hits than misses for the Cowboys. To judge him strictly off of not drafting TJ (and his knee history going into that draft) isn't a fair evaluation.

Kwyn

Reaction score

What you’re asking for is what has been reality for years. He’s the expert that Stephen and Jerry trust.