Let's discuss Super Bowl 27

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
as close to perfect as a game that I have ever seen in 49 years of watching the sport.....you know except for Leon Lett in the 4th quarter. Jesus imagine if we had 60 point in a Super Bowl.

RS12

Reaction score
The goal line stand early in the game had me in knots. Ken Norton slammed that door closed. The rest of the game was simply marvelous.
Ken Norton stuffing Kenneth Davis at the goal line was the key play of that game and one of the biggest in Cowboys history IMO.

cowboyec

Reaction score
never thought going into that game it was gonna be a historic blow-out.
every phase just made play after play.
Troy was robotic.
Irvin was unstoppable.
Emmitt was Emmitt.
and the defense just swarmed EVERYTHING.
The sweetest of the 3.

plasticman

Reaction score
It was my birthday.

I bought myself a case of Heineken, a full family order of barbecue, and I invited my best friend, who I kicked out after he passed out midway through the 1st quarter.

For me, the game started four hours before kickoff, I watched the pre-game show, the pre-pre-game show, the.....well, you get it.

I knew they were clearly the better team. Really, anybody that had paid close attention to them over the years knew they were going to be special but most "analysts" had to contend with 12-15 :contenders throughout the season so many didn't realize just how aggresive this team was. I mean, Jiommy Johnson's teams took no prisoners, there was never any letup even if they led by four TD's.

One thing about this team, they let you know just how good or bad the other teams were.

However, there was one single issue. They were young, I think they were the youngest team at the time. I don't think they understood how good they really were. I think that's why Jimmy made that guarantee for the NFC championship game, to give them confidence. My only worry was that they might beat themselves.

And my fears were realized in the first quarter, three and out, blocked punt, Bills score first. If it wasn't for a heroic defense, the Cowboys could have been behind 14-0. Still, I knew it was just a matter of time.

When James Washington made that INT, I knew it was the opening the Cowboys needed. After the first TD, the Cowboys scored ten seconds later with the fumble on the two yard line.

Another thing about these Cowboys, if you made a mistake against them, you were going to pay for it....quick.

Throughout the game, they scored in clusters. Jim Kelly got beat up, plain and simple. For the second straight time in a Cowboy Super Bowl, the starting quarterback was out by halftime.

When Harper scored, I knew it was game over. From there, like I said, the Cowboys never let up. They went wild.

In all, there should have been three defensive TD's. When Lett fumbled the ball, it was funny at the time because of the outcome of the game but if it had been close.....besides, that could have been an NFL record for scoring in the Super Bowl.

Of course, I recorded the game on my VCR. by the end of the week, the tape was worn out.

......."sigh"........those were the good ole days.........

I got pretty drunk, I remember that. Hey, it was my birthday. I lost my voice just after halftime.

Last edited:

plasticman

Reaction score
And don't forget James Washington. He made key plays in both Super Bowls against the Bills.

Red Dragon

Reaction score
imagine if we had 60 point in a Super Bowl.

Well, even if Lett had held on to the ball a millisecond longer, it could have only been 59-17. Dallas would have still needed to get at least one more score from somewhere else in order to exceed sixty.

Thomas82

Reaction score
I was 13 when this game was played, and the fact that it was a historic blowout made it all seem so surreal to me.

Red Dragon

Reaction score
Heres some perspective...from the 1977 season until that of 1992 was 15 years. We at least made the NFC title game in three of those years, and five playoff appearances otherwise.

If that was a drought, what exactly are we in now??

I mean, its somewhat rhetorical, since the answer is we are watching Jerry play with his toy. Pretty sad looking at it that way.

Another depressing way to look at it: From the moment of their existence in 1960, up through 1995, the Cowboys had never gone longer than nine consecutive years without appearing in the NFC Championship Game. Their longest such drought was from 1983-1991.

.......It has now been 25 consecutive years since Dallas last appeared in the NFC championship game.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
My fraternity decided to have a mixer(invited a sorority) that night for a large gathering. Needless to say, I didn’t pick up a gal that night due to quite a few of us disappearing to the pledge quarters to watch the game :muttley:

mrmojo

Reaction score
I remember Bob Costas being so annoyed that the Cowboys won in his post game.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Heres some perspective...from the 1977 season until that of 1992 was 15 years. We at least made the NFC title game in three of those years, and five playoff appearances otherwise.

If that was a drought, what exactly are we in now??

I mean, its somewhat rhetorical, since the answer is we are watching Jerry play with his toy. Pretty sad looking at it that way.
And it’s likely to be much longer. I don’t expect us to win another one with Jerry.

Hardline

Reaction score
To add insult to injury.
The Dallas Stars defeated the Buffalo Sabres for the Stanley Cup in 1999.