Let's discuss what everyone seems to be mentioning in passing

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
I've been tossing it around in my head since late last night and I notice more armchair QBs mentioning the same thing. Could this be a hindsight 20/20 shut up armchair QB thing or a bad coaching decision by Parcells?

On 3rd & 7 from the 8 yard line with about a minute and 20 seconds left in the game Parcells chose to try and get the first down. The ball was aired out to Witten and one yard stood between victory and agony.

Why didn't Parcells just line up and kick the FG on 3rd down? The botched snap would have been covered giving us a second chance at the kick. Many many teams have started lining up for crucial kicks on 3rd down just because of the comfort with being able to cover a botched snap and live to fight another down. Was Bill even thinking along these lines? Was he afraid to put the last minute of the game into the hands of his special teams and defense?

Did Bill make a critical error?

cowboyfan4life_mark

5 outta 8 ain't bad
Reaction score
Parcells wanted as much time off of the clock as possbile before attempting the FG. Plus he wanted a TD to make the Seahawks job a little harder. Rest assured that had we scored a TD, we would have gone for the two point conversion to go up by seven.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
cowboyfan4life_mark;1297544 said:
Parcells wanted as much time off of the clock as possbile before attempting the FG. Plus he wanted a TD to make the Seahawks job a little harder. Rest assured that had we scored a TD, we would have gone for the two point conversion to go up by seven.

Don't you go for what looks to be sure points on 3rd down from the 8 yard line? I cannot say that Parcells even entertained the thought. His old school style of thought is jam it down their throats. Sometimes discretion truly is the better part of valor.

jesusphreak

Reaction score
I think you have to go for the win there anyway. You are thinking TD, not a field goal with a 1:20 for Seattle to march right back down the field to win the game.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
jesusphreak;1297561 said:
I think you have to go for the win there anyway. You are thinking TD, not a field goal with a 1:20 for Seattle to march right back down the field to win the game.

If that's the case then the throw (or first read) should have been beyond the first down marker AKA in the end zone.

jimmy40

Reaction score
Bleu Star;1297534 said:
I've been tossing it around in my head since late last night and I notice more armchair QBs mentioning the same thing. Could this be a hindsight 20/20 shut up armchair QB thing or a bad coaching decision by Parcells?

On 3rd & 7 from the 8 yard line with about a minute and 20 seconds left in the game Parcells chose to try and get the first down. The ball was aired out to Witten and one yard stood between victory and agony.

Why didn't Parcells just line up and kick the FG on 3rd down? The botched snap would have been covered giving us a second chance at the kick. Many many teams have started lining up for crucial kicks on 3rd down just because of the comfort with being able to cover a botched snap and live to fight another down. Was Bill even thinking along these lines? Was he afraid to put the last minute of the game into the hands of his special teams and defense?

If we tried the field goal on third down and shanked it would you be saying we should have tried to score a TD first? I would say it's the hindsight shut up thing you said.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
jimmy40;1297577 said:
If we tried the field goal on third down and shanked it would you be saying we should have tried to score a TD first? I would say it's the hindsight shut up thing you said.

Probably is...

cowboyed

Reaction score
Bleu Star;1297556 said:
Don't you go for what looks to be sure points on 3rd down from the 8 yard line? I cannot say that Parcells even entertained the thought. His old school style of thought is jam it down their throats. Sometimes discretion truly is the better part of valor.

That is cool and creepy looking T.O. and who?

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Oh come on... All these second guessing the decision to go for the 1st or the TD on 3rd and 7 from the 8??

Ridiculous.

This wasn't overtime/sudden death. THAT is when you kick on 3rd downs.

You don't kick on 3rd downs in regulation with 1:20 on the clock. you're telling the other team 3 points is enough, and begging them to kick a game winner later on.

You get the 1st, you milk the clock down to 3 seconds, kick the FG win the game (with a good hold), and the game is over.

Period end of story.

cowboyfan4life_mark

5 outta 8 ain't bad
Reaction score
peplaw06;1297695 said:
Oh come on... All these second guessing the decision to go for the 1st or the TD on 3rd and 7 from the 8??

Ridiculous.

You don't kick on 3rd downs in regulation with 1:20 on the clock. you're telling the other team 3 points is enough, and begging them to kick a game winner later on.

You get the 1st, you milk the clock down to 3 seconds, kick the FG win the game (with a good hold), and the game is over.

Period end of story.

:hammer:

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Bleu Star;1297534 said:

if there were 10 or 15 seconds left you do that, but there was well over a minute left in the game...why give up a potential TD with that much time left?

we dont have the 85 Bears defense here...hell we've had a paper mache defense for over a month

how hard is that to understand for people?

David

STSINAZ

Reaction score
clock management thats why,,,,he wanted to deplete the clock

Undisputed

Reaction score
peplaw06;1297695 said:

Ridiculous.

Period end of story.

Exactly. Why are so many acting as if this were an overtime situation? Passing up the chance to get a TD and at the very least, take more time off the clock would be absolutely foolish. If Bill does that and Josh Brown owns us (AGAIN), this board would have erupted, as would the media.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Undisputed;1297722 said:
Exactly. Why are so many acting as if this were an overtime situation? Passing up the chance to get a TD and at the very least, take more time off the clock would be absolutely foolish. If Bill does that and Josh Brown owns us (AGAIN), this board would have erupted, as would the media.

You're all right. I surrender.

tshootosx1.jpg

Spectre

Reaction score
funny thing is...
the original poster never once thought Field Goal on 3rd and 8. He was thinking TD or 1st down, too.

A kick of that distance is done 100 times a year flawlessly. There's no reason not to assume one more would be a safe bet on 4th down.

Romo choked... period.
You guys need to stop trying to place the blame on BP somehow.