Let's go

CCBoy

Reaction score
If you are a die hard insulter of the person of Jerry Jones or just want to get into it with ME, let's go...but you'll have to PROVE your stance here. Cry all you want, but Jerry Jones has a dignified place in the NFL that is NOT limited to cash counting. He has broad knowledge and skills for running his team at the level of a GM.

Or, if you just carry a grudge and want to throw crap at me...well, what are you waiting for?

But don't for once, take a stance of he hasn't won crap for over 20 years. That first off, is not true. He's got a top ten winning percentage for the time over the past ten seasons. And don't try to say he hasn't won a NFC Championship or Lombardi...

This boils down to, guess what, if you stick to negative aspects, then list the positives as well...and not only to give a small resemblance of objective. List them ALL...

Now, do SOME of the work of discussion, and not just crying or throwing crap at someone who won't accept the lame stance of just a little bit of disappointment and a big mouth for shouting out someone else.

Leave your own personality at home, but let's go...BUDDIES.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
THIS THREAD WONT LAST LONG IF THE INSULTS START FLYING. KEEP THE DISCUSSION CIVIL OR IT WILL BE LOCKED.

CCBoy

Reaction score
But don't for once, take a stance of he hasn't won crap for over 20 years...

This boils down to, guess what, if you stick to negative aspects, then list the positives as well...and not only to give a small resemblance of objective. List them ALL...

(from OP posting)

Get a clue here...I don't buy the one pony excuse and routine interruption to do little more than insult a real attempt to discuss more than a blatant level of disgust.

If all one wishes to do, is crap on a positive intended thread...either start a crap fest for your own thread, or stay out of an honest attempt to prove a point, beyond a single tune played again and again.

See if any can start from a premise, and develop it through using real, sourced points, and that follows a real goal of success:

Excellence can be attained if you...
Care more than others think is wise...
Risk more than others think is safe...
Dream more than others think practical...
Expect more than others think is possible.

Now follow that with sources and follow Jerry in his world of providing Dallas Cowboys football...beyond a continual throwing up of not enough playoff victories and a stomach bump of a good buddy...and still not sighting a single source or real stat that just isn't exagurated on the spot.

CCBoy

Reaction score

That comment was dumb...in that the comment was directed at a topical area, having earned the election into the Hall of Fame by the voters. But they included his successes as a GM and actual football person. To some, who like to ridicule the man and those that do try to discuss the reasons for his acceptance....yea, that could in insult, be termed dumb. Or embraced and a lot positive perspectives being added as well. You chose the insult direction...and that is a description of path taken. I don't care if Sarge or another Monitor doesn't care to see an actual development on a positive vain, as more in the NFL have seen and worked with Jerry on football matters. The simple truth is that other teams know better than to take the Cowboys for granted, WITH Jerry as the GM. How is that? He's now in the Hall of Fame for those included abilities...

CCBoy

Reaction score
I guess the goal was more complicated than just a troll effort...and a new art form has been created: the liquor store guys, who, instead of Ripple, get their Don Padron at discount prices...

But never intended to be more than humor, I'll add discussion now, as that was what was offered...by ME:

Excellence can be attained if you...
Risk more than others think is safe...
Dream more than others think practical...
Expect more than others think is possible.

Hey, there is an actual formula for success, so I'll follow it and just check it out.

Let's throw Jerry Jones up onto the screen, and just see - Before purchasing the Dallas Cowboys, Jerry studied for ten years, learning the ins and outs of the NFL as it was there. He spent extensive time talking with the San Francisco franchise about the running of a NFL franchise. Jerry really studied the Dallas Cowboys, and the franchise under a 'rich kids' dream. He understood the pride of the organization, and both loved and respected the tradition that the team had established. No, Jerry can not be blamed for not caring...as he sought advice from the most knowledgeable person in the NFL, at the time, Al Davis. During the formative years of his ownership, he learned from the successful source of an owner lead GM. They both won Lombardis using that leadership example...and on a high level of success.At each level of organizational change, Jerry sought imput from a wide variety of NFL level and respected people in the business.
He sought outside advice...and was not on his own ego trip.

Risk more than others think is wise...

When Jerry took on the Cowboys, the roster was thin.They weren't winning, and he was losing a $1 million dollars a week...Gamble? Not only did he have to transition the franchise as to solidarity in cash flow, but he had to deeply involve himself in player improvements and roster development. Anyone who says that was all Jimmy, really doesn't know the degree of sacrifice that Jerry was investing right at that point in the Cowboys. Jerry would spend endless hours in his office, working on these problems. He developed a heart condition that he still carries today, due to lack of sleep, stress, and physical fatigue.

When Jimmy went through his 'Benedict Arnold' routine, Jerry took a calculated risk, and brought in Barry Switzer. Attempt to explain the contribution of this man, as one may try, the fact remains that as a coach at both collegiate and college levels, the man holds the highest winning percentage on the books.

After sticking with one of his loyal coaches, Campo, Jerry took another turn at circling the wagons and sought out Bill Parcells...my wife and I were seated in the Alamodome when he walked onto the field for his first Cowboys Training Camp. Bill had some success, but left behind a roster of failing old veterans and cap debt that the organization just come out from under, this very season. Yea, Jerry takes the gambles, as with personnel, but they are all researched and valid 'gambles.' Not all played out, but that is the nature of the NFL beast...not just for 'ol Jerry.

Dream more than others think practicall...

From the start, he manipulated a team and initial coach, that put in place a legitimate Dynasty. Yea, with three Lombardis...too bad the rest of the NFL wasn't what is described by some, as pushovers. San Francisco won a NFC Championship game. Last minute style. Sorry folks, that is football...not a deficient Jerry or Barry.

Jerry's dream became real.

There is more to that although, than a percentage of play off victories...DUH.

During an intense and National Financial crisis, Jerry financed and got built the very top of the line stadium. Second to none. Dreaming...surely, but he accomplished that too.

After Bill Parcells departed, Jerry still dreamed of success. He hired Wade Phillips, and when he lost team cohesion...Jerry dreamed of stability and a very solid head coach. Well, like with Tom Landry, he gave a vote of confidence in Jason Garrett. That is starting to pay off as well. If one studies both the players and design of scheme, more is going on beyond just surface ripples.

Expect more than others think possible...

Starting out, Jerry achieved a trio of Lombardis. One can not explain away his ownership of just that as a contributor.

Under Wade Phillips, the Cowboys had the most wins in the NFC. Well, under Jason Garrett, it has the most victories in two of the last three seasons. Without a valid quarterback, that dropped off in the interim...but was that fixed as well? You bet, Dak Prescott is now at the leadership of the Cowboys...and yea, that involved direction established and directed by Jerry, the GM. He has improved listening skills, but also has a better staff that has been collected....and not all up front. But that is exactly what happened in the 90's.

As to the cause of the drop off season, myself, I think that among rookies since 1970, he was first in completion percentage, pass interception percentage, QB rating and regular season wins, on top of finishing second in adjusted net yards per attempt, dominates any view...even playoff wins in the past 20 seasons.

Blame the smoke on the fire...or the fire on the smoke, but if one is still blaming Jerry...you're wrong.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I love having Jerry as our owner. I met him a couple of times many years ago and he was very genuine. Maybe that's why I'm partial to him. Jimmy did a great job for us, but I was raised to respect your elders and your bosses. No doubt Jimmy did great things, but he did it with Jerry's support and money. Not all owners were willing to spend the money Jerry did. Fast forward 20 plus year, I'm still a huge fan. He keeps us relevant, interesting and very much Americas Team. He deserves to be in the HOF. Do criticize him and poke fun from time to time, of course, still wouldn't trade him. Jerry, Jerry, Jerry!!! Salud!

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
I love having Jerry as our owner. I met him a couple of times many years ago and he was very genuine. Maybe that's why I'm partial to him. Jimmy did a great job for us, but I was raised to respect your elders and your bosses. No doubt Jimmy did great things, but he did it with Jerry's support and money. Not all owners were willing to spend the money Jerry did. Fast forward 20 plus year, I'm still a huge fan. He keeps us relevant, interesting and very much Americas Team. He deserves to be in the HOF. Do criticize him and poke fun from time to time, of course, still wouldn't trade him. Jerry, Jerry, Jerry!!! Salud!
Good post, Coach! I respect Jerry the owner as well, and you make a good point about him keeping us relevant, I just wish that it was winning that was why we were relevant.

But we are starting to win now, and I'd like for Jerry to be around when we win our next SB, despite him not running the football side of things for the org. any longer. There's no doubt he adores his franchise.

With that said, I still can't get behind him as a GM due to countless moves he has made to try to "win now" that set us back, and stymied the careers of some really good players. Bless him for trying, but it crippled us.

In any event, I appreciate your perspective, my friend :)

CCBoy

Reaction score
Good post, Coach! I respect Jerry the owner as well, and you make a good point about him keeping us relevant, I just wish that it was winning that was why we were relevant.

But we are starting to win now, and I'd like for Jerry to be around when we win our next SB, despite him not running the football side of things for the org. any longer. There's no doubt he adores his franchise.

With that said, I still can't get behind him as a GM due to countless moves he has made to try to "win now" that set us back, and stymied the careers of some really good players. Bless him for trying, but it crippled us.

Please do reference the exact moves and sources of their respective successes or failures, (players)...but a good posting other wise.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Please do reference the exact moves and sources of their respective successes or failures...but a good posting other wise.
Trading for Galloway, Roy Williams, up in the draft for Mo with zero due-diligence, not addressing defense in Romo's prime, Keyshawn Johnson, not being able to assemble a team capable of going further than one round in the postseason despite having a true franchise QB. And Romo was a franchise QB, CC.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Trading for Galloway, Roy Williams, up in the draft for Mo with zero due-diligence, not addressing defense in Romo's prime, Keyshawn Johnson to name a few.

Alright now, there is a discussion...now provide their performances, injury histories, and what the team did other wise...to show individual relevance to the team. That marks as valid, a good, moderate, or poor decision.

Just off the top of this fan's head, I recall Deion Sanders, Charles Haley, and Jay Novachek...and under Jerry as the GM.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I hear you, but like you said, he tries. Not many other owners try as hard as Jerry. And, he's a scotch guy, can't be that bad. Lol

CCBoy

Reaction score
I hear you, but like you said, he tries. Not many other owners try as hard as Jerry. And, he's a scotch guy, can't be that bad. Lol

Did you catch my off comment about the liquor store guys and their discounted Don Padron?

I guess Miley is off singing an old tune: Where oh where can my baby be? The lord has took him away from me...

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Alright now, there is a discussion...not provide their performances, injury histories, and what the team did other wise...to show individual relevance to the team. That marks as valid, a good, moderate, or poor decision.

Just off the top of this fan's head, I recall Deion Sanders, Charles Haley, and Jay Novachek...and under Jerry as the GM.
Yes, I'm not complaining of Jerry the GM of two decades ago when those great moves were made. He also, along with Jimmy, assembled a hell of an offensive line, mostly made of former ragtag players. He was fantastic for 6-7 years. But then he lost his touch, coinciding with the departure of Jimmy (Barry won with Jimmy's team, Troy and Michael have both said this).

It's the intermediate twenty years where I'm trying to make my point, and the cited examples in my above post cover that time frame, CC.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
I hear that. It would be horrible to be stuck with a Bengals-type org that is simply happy being in the playoffs.

Jerry wants to win. No doubt about it, Coach. He just doesn't know how to anymore. But this part of my argument is moot as far as he goes, now, because he's clearly stepped down.