Let's have a chat without hand wringing

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Are we a better team today, June 14 2018 than we were a year ago today, June 14,201t.

Consider that our expectations were sky high at this point in 2017

Let's talk:

QB: including back ups

LB

WR

DL

TE

S

I left out CB because I think that's obvious given a year of experience.

It's pretty clear, at least to me, that the competition is set and we'll do some bottom churning and feeding but for the most part we won't be adding major names (c'mon baby you know what I like... Jerry Lee style).

So, hand wringing aside and no worrying like warts, is this a better team today than it was one year ago today?

Overall, yes we are a better team based on a more positive focus and hungry new talent.

QB Yes. Another year older and a new wrinkle in the passing system shows potential for success. Dak should be less harried and more productive behind a healthier line.
RB Yes. Zeke appears to be more focused and much less distracted by personal issues. Potential for good backups with young legs.
WR Yes. Out with the old and in with the new. Our passing game was weak last year for several reasons.
TE No. It is unknown at present time for obvious reasons, but hopefully we will not have to have a prime time TE save our bacon. Just hold the position down for the time being.
OT/OG/C Yes. Zach is signed. Tyron is healthy (for now.) Fred Beard is relentless. New talent is unknown but shows promise. Not as dependent on Chaz. FA vets are experienced.
DE Yes. For once, we have had DLaw with us and without any apparent personal drama. Plenty of DEs for rotations (and possible trades?)
DT No. We need a stud 1-technique DT. Everyone else is something other than a 1-tech DT.
LB Not sure. Lee needs to stay healthy or we are doomed. LVE is hopefully not fragile with the ankles. Jaylon is doing better they say - time will tell.
CB Yes. Healthy and talented young guys are returning to start the preseason. Richards is better than the previous coach and Jones looks to be focused.
S Yes. Let Woods go sic 'em.

GMO415

Reaction score
QB: Hell Yes

LB "wobbler" leaning towards Yes

WR Yes

DL Yes

TE Yes (the Career killer retired)

S Yes

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
It all revolves around Tyron Smith’s health primarily followed by WR chemistry with Dak, and then will LVE succeed early with minimal growing pains, and lastly will our safety be at least average or better.

High hopes, lots of potential, we just need reps and live action but all in all I believe we are moving forward. 10-6 is doable....

10-6 for sure. Like always, its all about health for the Cowboys. Our depth is typically poor and our coaches bad at adapting and adjusting.

Point-of-the-Star

Reaction score
Are we a better team today, June 14 2018 than we were a year ago today, June 14,201t.

Ever notice how expectations are based on last years results, which if you're the Cowboys is all over the board. (We're not the NE Patsies).
We're definitely a different team .

So, prognosticating "being better" is unreliable for this team. I fallen for that trap before (2015 I was sooooo hyped at the start of the year). Now I'm like one of them Missouri folks ... the Cows have to "show me". I have no idea how each position will play. I think the bigger question is will our coaching staff perform better preparing each player/position into advantageous game situations.

It's pretty clear, at least to me, that the competition is set and we'll do some bottom churning and feeding but for the most part we won't be adding major names (c'mon baby you know what I like... Jerry Lee style).

JP Richardson (The Big Bopper)

Chantilly Lace

Hello baby, Yeah, this is the Big Bopper speakin'
Ha ha ha ha ha, oh you sweet thing
Do I what?
Will I what?
Oh baby you know what I like

JBond

Reaction score

Let's talk:

QB: including back ups

LB

WR

DL

TE

S

I left out CB because I think that's obvious given a year of experience.

So, hand wringing aside and no worrying like warts, is this a better team today than it was one year ago today?
WR and TE are a mess. Hoping for similar production from the D-line. Most excited about LB. I think we got a good one. He has a lucky opportunity to learn learn from one of the best.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Too many unknowns at this point. Sounds like a boring answer but is the truth.

So many young guys on here. Have to see if some in the secondary continue to grow after showing flashes.

Don't know about LB group. Will rookie make a difference. Will JS take a step up and start making a difference. Will Lee stay healthy. How is Depth.

D line. Will tank stay healthy and continue from last years great play. Will DI keep his head on straight and continue to make plays. Will Ealy and Ward make notable contributions.

We got a WR and TE group that I read on Twitter was the lowest paid group (cap wise) in the NFL. Don't know if that is correct but I do think it is fair to say they will have to step up and prove they can do the job or will we have to go back to finding a true number one WR and hope to find our next great TE.

We got a young QB that is still working on things. Will he quiet some critics by doing well this season or only embolden them.

I think Zeke is the only thing we should not have to worry about and even then you never know what injury will pop up or if he will stay out of trouble and get the league office after him again.

The oline seems to be ok with starters and some depth. However we will still probably have some struggles early on with the rook just as we did a lite with LC early on.

Too many unknowns. So many young guys. If anything it should be interesting to see who pans out, who does not, what areas need improvement. Should be a young hungry group giving it their all but with youth sometimes comes growing pains.

RoboQB

Reaction score
The biggest offseason moves were losing their #1 WR and TE. That generally doesn't improve a team , or more teams would do it.

So it all comes down to the draft picks.

Generally teams #1 WR and TE aren't shells of their former selves.
We're better now.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
QB: I think so. Yeah there's question marks, but with Dak's added experience along with a repaired OL, I'm optimistic.

LB Yes. Again, some experience will help, but that'll come.

WR Yes. I count Dez and Dooley leaving as a Plus. Sanjay Lal, Plus. Gallup and Wilson Plus.
DL Yes.

TE No.

S I'm going to venture a "yes" mostly because of Coach Richard.

So are we a better team? YES!

Last edited:

kento40

Reaction score
QB: More years in a system doesn't automatically equate to an increase in talent, so I would saying judging by his performance last year, Yes only because he can't possibly get any worse at his job.

RB: Automatic yes, because he doesn't have a suspension looming and with the addition of Tavon, even if he isn't used often, he will make the defense hesitate while he's on the field.

WR: Absolutely Not, you replace Dez? Fine. Don't bring on a bunch of cast-offs and a third rounder and act like because of "route running" we are automatically going to be good.

TE: Nope, Wit was slow, yes, but the man could read defenses almost as good as Romo can and was sure handed. You don't just replace that kind of talent and not expect a drop off.

LB: Yes, Jaylon is healthier, I like our draft pick and Lee, if healthy is the epitome of elite.

DL: No, Still no run stuffer, why can't we get a damn run stuffer? Snacks was out there for the taking and we just sat around doing nothing.

S: Ha = Heck no. Why people think Heath is a starting quality safety is beyond me. Add him to another unproven player and let's be real.

OL: Yes, Tyron is back, don't know if he's completely healthy, but ******, he's back. I love the O-line, I hate that they are so expensive, but I love the guys.

DB's: I say Yes only because they seemed to play with a ballsy smash-mouth attitude last season that we haven't had around these parts in a while, add that to a damn good DB's coach and while, I'm not super happy with the talent level, I'm OK with the direction of the unit.

kskboys

Reaction score
I keep seeing people insist that Dez would be the best WR on the roster. Don't see how one can legitimately state that. That is quite simply to be determined.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
We are better defensively I think.

Our pass game just looks like it's going to be awful.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
S: Ha = Heck no. Why people think Heath is a starting quality safety is beyond me. Add him to another unproven player and let's be real.

OL: Yes, Tyron is back, don't know if he's completely healthy, but ******, he's back. I love the O-line, I hate that they are so expensive, but I love the guys.

DB's: I say Yes only because they seemed to play with a ballsy smash-mouth attitude last season that we haven't had around these parts in a while, add that to a damn good DB's coach and while, I'm not super happy with the talent level, I'm OK with the direction of the unit.

Heath is a starting quality safety but the team should be looking to find someone better every offseason.

There will always be guys like this on the roster. A serviceable guy that you'd replace in a second if you got a chance.

Luckily with our serviceable guy he is also a playmaker.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Does it? I think it looks like it will be the best we've seen in a while.

Our pass game?

We have no one as good as Dez on the roster.

Our TE group is the worst in the league on paper.

If they scheme properly then they have a chance but there is no one that can destroy a 1 on 1 matchup.

As good as the Pats are at scheming Gronk still keeps defenses honest because of his ability to win 1 on 1's.

Explosive plays through the air are going to be at a minimum this year imo. It's all on Zeke.

kskboys

Reaction score
Our pass game?

We have no one as good as Dez on the roster.

Our TE group is the worst in the league on paper.

If they scheme properly then they have a chance but there is no one that can destroy a 1 on 1 matchup.

As good as the Pats are at scheming Gronk still keeps defenses honest because of his ability to win 1 on 1's.

Explosive plays through the air are going to be at a minimum this year imo. It's all on Zeke.
You simply cannot say that at this point. The WR's we have could be better, we just don't know.

And Dez was not destroying 1 on 1 matchups.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
You simply cannot say that at this point. The WR's we have could be better, we just don't know.

And Dez was not destroying 1 on 1 matchups.

I know they are not better.

They've played in this league.

Are they bad? No. We have a group of solid guys.

If someone blows up it will be a young guy that has virtually no experience.

Hurns, Tavon, and Beasley are just good above average players and nothing more.

Dez didn't get bad at destroying 1 v 1's. He just doesn't have the QB to feed him.