Lets play this game again....You are only as good as your backups

STSINAZ

Reaction score
I did this last year...let's do it again...

Glenn - 3rd corner..we needed him last year and we will this year too

Crayton - was injured last year and that hurt us...IMO get another receiver to back him up

Kosier - i think that LA will renegotiate now with TO here....so kosier is the backup at guard and maybe could do that same at tackle for a short time...or we would have pettiti there too...he is going to get stronger and be light years ahead of last year..., gurode too would be ok as a backup

Barber - he filled in well last year....and will be even better this year...

Burnett - going to be pretty good this year...i think he will be a backup at LOLB...or inside...can play both...we are going to get someone to start at LOLB....

All in all....looks like we are rounding into shape...need a backup DT though...should get one or Thomas Johnson should do the trick...

slick325

Reaction score
I am not quite as sold on Crayton as everyone else seems to be. I don't foresee him being a number 1 wideout when our starters begin to decline due to age. I really hope Jerry drafts a WR with #18, Jackson or Holmes and then allow the 4th WR (Crayton) to be a special teams demon. A position that I think fits Crayton very very well.

NT is a position that can be filled with late round picks. We can get depth on day 2 of the draft, remember Fergy was drafted late by Parcells and now he is a career starter doing dirty work.

All in all, I agree with your theme. We are only going to be as good as our backups.

STSINAZ

Reaction score
if you go back each year that's exactly what transpires....last year...no back up LT and look what happen...we were doomed!

lspain1

Reaction score
STSINAZ said:
if you go back each year that's exactly what transpires....last year...no back up LT and look what happen...we were doomed!

I think Fabini starts at RT and becomes the backup LT. We use one of the others at RT if Flo gets hurt.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
This is a nice game to play....because if a team is only as good as their backups...the Redstinks are screwed! :D

bobbie brewskie

Reaction score
1 VERY IMPORTANT ELEMENT, BACKUP QB - we needa sign 1 such as brooks or trade for volek or somn . . .

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
bobbie brewskie said:
1 VERY IMPORTANT ELEMENT, BACKUP QB - we needa sign 1 such as brooks or trade for volek or somn . . .

Yeah...I'm kind of bothered about the backup QB also! I'm not so sure about the baseball player, and I have not seen enough of the golfer! :eek:

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
slick325 said:
I am not quite as sold on Crayton as everyone else seems to be. I don't foresee him being a number 1 wideout when our starters begin to decline due to age. I really hope Jerry drafts a WR with #18, Jackson or Holmes and then allow the 4th WR (Crayton) to be a special teams demon. A position that I think fits Crayton very very well.

NT is a position that can be filled with late round picks. We can get depth on day 2 of the draft, remember Fergy was drafted late by Parcells and now he is a career starter doing dirty work.

All in all, I agree with your theme. We are only going to be as good as our backups.

Im going to have to disagree with you. Crayton proved last year that he is a very solid option at #3. He's got really good hands, and runs clean routes.

By signing TO we have filled the WR need. Though he's getting up there, I expect at least 3 good years out of him still. OLB is a much bigger need, as is FS, so I would not like to see us drafting Holmes. This WR class seems really weak at the top, so I don't like spending a #1 on one of these guys.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
bobbie brewskie said:
The backup quarterback decision will be an interesting one to watch this year. I'll bet we go with Bledsoe, Romo and Henson into camp. Coming out...who knows.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
STSINAZ said:

Crayton - was injured last year and that hurt us...IMO get another receiver to back him up

Kosier - i think that LA will renegotiate now with TO here....so kosier is the backup at guard and maybe could do that same at tackle for a short time...or we would have pettiti there too...he is going to get stronger and be light years ahead of last year..., gurode too would be ok as a backup

Burnett - going to be pretty good this year...i think he will be a backup at LOLB...or inside...can play both...we are going to get someone to start at LOLB....

All in all....looks like we are rounding into shape...need a backup DT though...should get one or Thomas Johnson should do the trick...

Mark it down youngin..good post STS ..agreed on all counts.:)

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
STSINAZ said:

I don't think Glenn is a back-up. These days your 3rd CB better be able to start on a regular basis. Glenn did last season.

Jacque Reeves and Nathan Jones are coming up on year 3 in Parcells system. I think it would be fair to say they've been nondescript (sp). At this point not a point of need but I'd keep an eye on CBs in the draft this year. Huff is a clear cut above the rest, we could get the 2nd best CB in the draft at the 18th pick. Reeves and Jones were late RD picks. If they saw any extended playing time like Petitti...........

Aaron Glenn isn't getting any younger.......and those Food chains he's openned are going to need his year around attention:D
STSINAZ said:
I agree. We just got a ..as Michael Irvin elloquently stated "a pure No.1 WR" (I bet Keyshawn thinks those are fighting words).

Santonio Holmes is also a clear cut above the rest. Chad Jackson aka combine warrior would be a risky pick at 18, but somehow I've come to trust our scouting department.

If we get another season like 2005 Terry Glenn in 2006, he'll be another successful free agent signing. But I'd also think WR at the 18th pick. I think it would be sound drafting. Like you stated Crayton went down and chances are atleast 1 WR will miss significant time.

Terence Copper is also going into his 3rd year. He was undrafted rookie CB in 2004. Got cut, made the practice squad, came up late in 2004 and contributed in 2005.

He might make it easier to put CB as a higher priority, but he also went undrafted so a WR with a 1st or 2nd RD value could help.

STSINAZ said:
I also think LA will play good soldier. How can't he. Will Shields and soem other elite G restructured their contracts. I also hope he gets caught up in the TO extravaganza.

Even Kosier signing, while it might patch the age at Guard.........that Guard from USC would be nice too.
I definately thought Larry Allen was coming back even after the Kosier signing, but the Fabini signing made me raise my white flag. The Cowboys just bolstered their leverage.

I guess it just comes down to whether LA wants to play good soldier like Troy Brown did for the Pats. Jerry already made him a rich man.

STSINAZ said:
But what if LeDale White is sitting right there at the 18th pick:eek:

STSINAZ said:
We sat tight in free agency albeit the fact that Terrell Owens and the Cowboys knew TO would be a Cowboy since November, when Irvin insinuated TO would fit great in Dallas. Jerry still talks to his players especially Irvin.

Jerry Jones pretty much gave TO $10 million this season. He knows something we don't know and I am assuming Irvin told him.
STSINAZ said:
If Thomas Johnson lives up to the Pepper nickname from Bill, our scouting department will have nailed the past 2 drafts.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
bobbie brewskie said:

I would be happy to sign Harrington and let Henson stay in Europe.

Slammin Bran 23

Reaction score
slick325 said:

I agree on drafting Jackson, or Moss.

bobbie brewskie said:

I totally agree.