BUT

defences that RELY on turnovers are one hit wonders

a great defense relies on

stopping the run
Collapse the pocket up the middle
Take away the middle of the field
Discipline and sound tackling

let’s see if we have these over the season
I don’t disagree at all. They need to do those things to be truly a good defense.

I do think they’ll do those things, but like you said somewhere yesterday, we need to see those things consistently over the first 5 games or so in order to say they’re good.

Now, if they can do those things plus get a lot of turnovers… Dallas will win a lot of games.

They focused so much on turnovers in camp (which they’ve done before) and they’ve filled the secondary with guys who have ball skills (which they haven’t done before), that frankly, I expect to be in the top 10 in turnovers.

IMO, if you get guys who have always found the ball, they will continue to find the ball.

It’s going to be interesting to watch the defense in this first month or so.

Tussinman

Reaction score
Interested to see what happens, especially in the 2nd half of the season. If the 2nd half of the season they can get some juice from Gallimore, Hooker, and Gregory then this should be a fairly solid defense.

I know I'm in the minority but I'm somewhat optimistic by this defense.
Yeah the free agent signings + draft picks look solid and I'm not suprised that guys like Lewis and Parson are responding well to Quinn. If they can get a small boost at 2 positions in the 2nd half of the season (combination of Hooker, Gallimore, and Gregory) then this should be a fairly average defense which is incredible considering how awful they where last season

Big_D

Reaction score
The just faced the Super Bowl champs. If not the best offense in the league....one of them.

New Defensive Coach.

Micah Parson is a rookie. He's incredibly important to this defenses success. Let's remember what Diggs looked like in week 1 last year and let's remember what he looked like by week 17. You will see the same jump in Micah. You won't find too many QB's int his league that can manipulate a player like Parson's...I expect him to be a beast week 2 with a younger guy under center in Herbert.

They continued the trend of forcing turnovers that they started with towards the end of last season.

Gallimore is coming.

Diggs shut down Mike Evans. One of the better receivers in the league...I won't scream elite yet.....but he picked up right where he left off.

Jourdan Lewis once again finds himself around the football. I can't speak on how great of a game he had.

Anthony Brown should be better with more limited reps...he won't face guys the caliber of Antonio Brown every week......but he's going to get tested and for his sake they need to limit his reps or we're going to find ourselves in shootouts more times than not.

It sucks because I think the Buccs was a great test for our offense......but our defense wasn't ready. I would've rather faced them a little later in the season......The defense we saw week 1 won't be the same defense we see by years end. They will get better. I mean, even Mike Nolan's crappy defense got better. The question is how better? I don't know but Chargers like to air it out and this will be a nice test for a young defense that's looking to get better.

i don’t see why anyone would think this D won’t improve. They played well against a top notch offense, have a lot of young guys. The arrow is definitely pointing up!

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Pretty ironic. . . Quinn likes to utilize players as a cohesive whole . . . And He sees the value in Jourdan . . I am a Michigan Fan and I always like his heart as well as His physical attributes . . . You gotta get Playmakers on the field and that's what Quinn is doing
I agree and I think Quinn is going to fix it…it won’t come easy or fast but these first couple of weeks he’s trying to get a feel for what he’s working with. Offense is going to have to win some of these games for them to start the season.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The defense forced 4 turnovers and held one of the top offenses in the NFL to 10 points in the 2nd half. The score was 21-16 going into the 2nd half so while giving up 400+ yards isn't ideal, the defense wasn't as horrible as everyone claims.

Dallas had more yards offensively than TB (451 to 431), had less penalties/penalty yards than TB (8 for 55 vs. 11 for 106), had a +3 in turnover margin, had more offensive plays (77 to 64), and won the time of possession battle (34:27 to 25:33).

However, an area that Dallas failed to best TB in: Red Zone efficiency. Dallas was 1 of 4 in the Red Zone versus TB's 3 of 5 in the Red Zone.

Also keep in mind that TB was leading 21-19 after a a Dallas FG and a Dallas defensive stop......and on 1st and 10 from their own 25 yard line Dak threw an INT which led to a quick TB TD. While Dallas scored a TD immediately after leading to a 28-26 TB lead, the Dallas defense forced TB into a punt on their next possession . Dallas' next possession led to a 3 play 2 yard punting situation. The Dallas defense then forced a TB fumble giving Dallas another chance.

The point is the Dallas defense was stepping up later in the game giving Dallas a chance but ultimately Dallas lost so on to week 2.
The Cowboys can’t just get turnovers. They have to get off the field and give the offense good field position as well.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Also, the DTs are JAGs. I'm looking forward to the PFF scores. I don't remember them doing anything in the game.
Yeah the plan or hope is Gallimore is the real deal. I’m not seeing it with none of these guys….I’ll give Osi the benefit of the doubt because he’s a rookie but the rest just look like jags sadly.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I'm optimistic too. Teams change from what they are in week 1. I'm just hoping our pass rush is a little better. We basically played a statue at QB and they put up 31 points. Closer to 40 if Godwin doesn't fumble at the 2.
That’s a good point. They have to do something about pass rush. It’s just not there. I get Brady gets the ball out quick but when he didn’t…..he had all day.

Verdict

Reaction score
The just faced the Super Bowl champs. If not the best offense in the league....one of them.

New Defensive Coach.

Micah Parson is a rookie. He's incredibly important to this defenses success. Let's remember what Diggs looked like in week 1 last year and let's remember what he looked like by week 17. You will see the same jump in Micah. You won't find too many QB's int his league that can manipulate a player like Parson's...I expect him to be a beast week 2 with a younger guy under center in Herbert.

They continued the trend of forcing turnovers that they started with towards the end of last season.

Gallimore is coming.

Diggs shut down Mike Evans. One of the better receivers in the league...I won't scream elite yet.....but he picked up right where he left off.

Jourdan Lewis once again finds himself around the football. I can't speak on how great of a game he had.

Anthony Brown should be better with more limited reps...he won't face guys the caliber of Antonio Brown every week......but he's going to get tested and for his sake they need to limit his reps or we're going to find ourselves in shootouts more times than not.

It sucks because I think the Buccs was a great test for our offense......but our defense wasn't ready. I would've rather faced them a little later in the season......The defense we saw week 1 won't be the same defense we see by years end. They will get better. I mean, even Mike Nolan's crappy defense got better. The question is how better? I don't know but Chargers like to air it out and this will be a nice test for a young defense that's looking to get better.

I think the defense was “ready and prepared. They did some good things. But I agree with you, that they should progress by leaps and bounds by season’s end.

This team reminds me of the 1992 Cowboys. Everyone sees them as a work in progress, and they are, but it will come together faster than anyone expects if we can stay somewhat healthy.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
If this defense can hold up against the run and continue to create turnovers, the Cowboys will win a ton of games. People tend to forget what the TB defense did in their playoff run, all QB's looked clueless, including the likes of Rodgers, Brees & Mahomes, all 3 will be first ballot hall of famers. On the other side of the football, probably the most talented offense in the entire league and we created 4 turnovers against them.
You’re 100% right. The above reason why are why we should be optimistic….there’s promise here.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
That’s a good point. They have to do something about pass rush. It’s just not there. I get Brady gets the ball out quick but when he didn’t…..he had all day.

Honestly i saw push...I think what it comes down to is with that team your not going to get easy sacks, the QB is too good and to sack him you have got to put him in situations he doesn't like. He was honestly ahead of the chains all night. The blitz was not going to happen once he showed Quinn his trump card (#30 all day long) and here come the boat race.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Honestly i saw push...I think what it comes down to is with that team your not going to get easy sacks, the QB is too good and to sack him you have got to put him in situations he doesn't like. He was honestly ahead of the chains all night. The blitz was not going to happen once he showed Quinn his trump card (#30 all day long) and here come the boat race.
I'm tuning into both the Commanders and Eagles games so maybe I'm missing some things but Chargers seem to not have any issues with Commanders pass rush right now. Maybe we crowned that defensive line too early?

jblaze2004

Reaction score
question is Trysten Hill injured or did he play? Or is he a 2nd round bust?

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
What I saw was the defense giving up the middle, not putting pressure on the QB, and still giving up the swing passes. Until we get those things under control, we are just a little better than last year.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The reality is that the defense played a high level of modern day defense.

The sooner a lot of you let go of the defenses you used to know and accept what successful defense is in today’s game the better.

They created 3 turnovers and held a top NFL offense around 30. Great results for our defense.

Mike Evans is overrated at this point in his career btw. He’s a 1 dimensional player.

Before Brady....Mike Evans was considered an "elite receiver".

Now that there's a QB who knows how to distribute the ball and FIND his best target....mike isn't so elite.;

If only we judged Dak in the same way we judge Tom. "elite"? I watched the game...and watched it again. And again. Brady made a LOT of elite throws. Dak made a few.

They both made some bad throws. It's up to us to have some objective discernment.

I think...like we judge our wonderful Zeke....the situation has changed. We blame the player rather than the scheme. And other stuff...like a TERIBLE oline? Bad scheme?

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

New Defensive Coach.

Gallimore is coming.

Right there with you!
After last years horrible defense, I see great improvement with the opportunity to grow and get better

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What I saw was the defense giving up the middle, not putting pressure on the QB, and still giving up the swing passes. Until we get those things under control, we are just a little better than last year.

We put pressure on them ! Hard!..... Brady made several; throws under pressure and connected. We made...well a few.

Brady is the greatest of all time. Why peopel ignore it is beyond me...

He made more plays than us.......he won. End of story. Lets change it and win.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Before Brady....Mike Evans was considered an "elite receiver".

Now that there's a QB who knows how to distribute the ball and FIND his best target....mike isn't so elite.;

If only we judged Dak in the same way we judge Tom. "elite"? I watched the game...and watched it again. And again. Brady made a LOT of elite throws. Dak made a few.

They both made some bad throws. It's up to us to have some objective discernment.

I think...like we judge our wonderful Zeke....the situation has changed. We blame the player rather than the scheme. And other stuff...like a TERIBLE oline? Bad scheme?

Evans was going down hill when Jameis was there. They even tried to trade him.

The big body guys just aren’t having as much success these days.

Teams want 3 guys built about like Chris Godwin instead of Mike Evans.