Let's put this OL debate to REST!

DBoys

Reaction score
I think it is pretty easy to see that Flo, Kosier, Gurode, Rivera are locks with the only maybe being Gurode.

From what I saw Fabini played good at RT. Petitti played good at LT.

So the BIG question is who will be our starting RT?

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
DBoys said:
I think it is pretty easy to see that Flo, Kosier, Gurode, Rivera are locks with the only maybe being Gurode.

The good thing is that both Columbo and Fabini are playing better at RT then Pettiti did thus far, so we are improved there already. I think BP wants Columbo to win out so Fabini can swing...even though Pettiti has been playing swing so far.

However, Fabini played very well last night. At this point we have a battle at RT going on still...and it appears to be an upgrade the way they are playing. I'm bummed a bit because I wanted Pettiti to win out, but does not appear to be the case.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Petitti seems to be a little depressed by having to work at LT - this may be a test by BP to see how he handles that.

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
DBoys said:
The Center competition is over. Gurode is a lock unless AL Johnson can miraculously transform the 10lbs of muscle into more talent.

DBoys said:

Marc Colombo is your man. He'll start in the 3rd preseason game Dress rehearsal.

DBoys

Reaction score
burmafrd said:
Petitti seems to be a little depressed by having to work at LT - this may be a test by BP to see how he handles that.

The comment Petitti made about Fabini being on the bubble seemed to be more wishful thinking than anything else.

silver

Reaction score
BP likes to go with vets even if they're not 100%(see Rivera last year). So my best bet would be Fabini if everything remains status quo.

DBoys

Reaction score
Portland Fanatic said:
I think BP wants Columbo to win out so Fabini can swing...even though Pettiti has been playing swing so far.

I think your right

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Charles said:
The Center competition is over. Gurode is a lock unless AL Johnson can miraculously transform the 10lbs of muscle into more talent.

Again I point to Kosier's comment about the run blocking being poor b/c the OL was confused by the movement of the Saint's DL.

Isn't it the center's job to call our new assignments? Ya think Payton knows how to mess with Gurode?

DBoys

Reaction score
Charles said:

I loathed Al Johnson last year I am so excited to see Gurode play so well.

Charles said:
Marc Colombo is your man. He'll start in the 3rd preseason game Dress rehearsal.

I love short weeks and cannot wait to see who the starters are Saturday.

DBoys

Reaction score
abersonc said:
Again I point to Kosier's comment about the run blocking being poor b/c the OL was confused by the movement of the Saint's DL.

Isn't it the center's job to call our new assignments? Ya think Payton knows how to mess with Gurode?

Good point. Even if Gurode made some mistakes Al Johnson looked average against lesser talent.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
DBoys said:
Good point. Even if Gurode made some mistakes Al Johnson looked average against lesser talent.

But when did we run better?

DBoys

Reaction score
abersonc said:
But when did we run better?

True but which circumstances determined that? Saints DL, Our C, Our RB's etc

Saints starters were playing 8 men in the box.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I guess it's just me, but no mention of McQuistran, who was the first guy in when Adams went down? I was very impressed with the rookie...he's already a better pass protector than Pettitti, whom I think is on the bubble despite his popularity in this forum.

DBoys

Reaction score
wayne_motley said:
I guess it's just me, but no mention of McQuistran, who was the first guy in when Adams went down? I was very impressed with the rookie...he's already a better pass protector than Pettitti, whom I think is on the bubble despite his popularity in this forum.

He was the cause of 1 sack and I think 2 run stuffs in the backfield.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
wayne_motley said:

Petitti is the only guy playing both sides right now. Hard to cut him in that case.

fortdick

Reaction score
burmafrd said:

Do you talk to him or something? Did he appear depressed last night when he was kicking butt at LT? Since LT is where he played in college, he should have been very comfortable. I am pleased with the way he played last night, especially with Flo getting hurt. I know it wasn't serious, but I feel good about Rob being able to back him up.

fortdick

Reaction score
DBoys said:
He was the cause of 1 sack and I think 2 run stuffs in the backfield.

BEat me to it. McQ got his butt handed to him a few times. His has promise, but he isn't ready. Pettiti is ready and will either start right tackle or be the swing guy. It is between Fabini and McQ if we only ekkp 4 OT's.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
DBoys said:

The O-line needs to start run blocking better for our tandem of backs, Julius and Marion. Thankfully we have two more preseason games to get the ball rolling.

By game 1 of the regular season, we should see some improvement. All is not lost for those of you who are freaking out over the O-line up to this point. :cool:

DBoys

Reaction score
DLCassidy said:
By the thread title I thought you had an announcement.:laugh2:

I wish I knew but Sat should be the dress game right? We should find out then.