Let's revisit our expectations before the season - We overachieved

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Not really. It just made the cooper trade tolerable. Giving up a 20 something pick instead of a top 15. Completely unsuccessful season.

Well that's all we can ask for being a cowboys fan. This team hasnt been a contender for a long time.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Defense is mediocre. The only bright spot was the win against the taints. There’s nobody on this defense I know will show up every game. It’s more just hoping someone does

There is no statistical evidence that points to the defense being mediocre.

It was a top 5 defense this year that kept us in almost every game.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Things change and I don’t applaud them for the expectations before the season.

The Chiefs didn’t expect to be the best team in the AFC. They will not be patting themselves on the back if they lose to New England at Arrowhead next week.

We wasted an opportunity.
And you are loving life.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
We are a young team, but with better coaching we could be a Super Bowl team. Why do I say this?
2016 - 13-3 (best record in the league, 1st seed in the NFC)
2017 - 9-7 (Zeke missed six games so we could have made the playoffs if he weren't suspended.)
2018 - 10-6 (division winner)
We've had a winning record each year yet stalled each year.
Meanwhile, the Falcons, the Jaguars, the Eagles, the Rams (all teams with you head coaches with tenures shorter than Garrett's) have been to the Super Bowl or the Championship game (or are going there).
Even with Dak's limitations, we should at the very least have been in a conference Championship game.
There is absolutely no coaching creativity, no taking advantage of our opponent's weaknesses on a consistent bases, no progress.
The Eagles had a second year coach who got his team to a Super Bowl for Pete's sake. Garrett hasn't sniff even a Conference Championship game.
What I wonder if Linehan doesn't have confidence in Dak or he's just that inept.
Whatever it is, coaching makes a difference and there won't be any difference between or longstanding playoff futilites and our future success if we don't get different coaches.
But I doubt it will happen. Jerry sees our 10-6 record and one playoff win as enough for Garrett to keep his job.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Before the season began, I was waffling between 8-8 and 9-7 with no real thoughts about a deep playoff run. I actually was parroting my mantra of "anything short of a deep playoff run and Garrett should be gonzo" because I truly felt it wouldn't happen and entered this season thinking him getting fired was a real possibility.

Welp.. we are now stuck in the middle. He took us deep into the playoffs. Is this considered deep? I guess that's debatable. Does Jerry extend him? Lord.. The thought makes me cringe.

Anyways.. I digress... As a team, we did overachieve to a huge extent this year. Our team is very young too. One of the youngest teams in the NFL...

One thing I never felt down the stretch this year was that the team would snatch my heart from my chest. You guys know that old feeling we have all endured over the past 10 to 12 seasons. Those young guys battle to the very end and up until the very end of that game last night I felt we still had a chance.

But lackluster strategy, situational preparation, and play calling will take you down. That's reality. We have to get better in several areas including the OC.
Pretty fun going back to August and taking a peek atthose threads.
“Week 1 is MUST win” for example...lol
So many threads on Rico dominating...maybe 10 threads on the topic
Bo Scarborough is a monster threads

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Pretty fun going back to August and taking a peek atthose threads.
“Week 1 is MUST win” for example...lol
So many threads on Rico dominating...maybe 10 threads on the topic
Bo Scarborough is a monster threads
OMG.. We were ALL on that Bo train.

3rd_n_inches

Reaction score
At least everyone is on the same page when it comes to Linehan being fired now. I know I have beat that horse since last season.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
We beat the Seahawks and were 7.5 underdogs to a team that beat us by 8. Is that falling flat?

Fred going down basically sealed the fact of this team not going far in the playoffs. I said before the playoffs started that we would win one or two games in the playoffs, the big picture is that this is still a very young team.

Injuries are part of the game. The Eagles are playing with DBs that had to wear name tags when they brought them in.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Injuries are part of the game. The Eagles are playing with DBs that had to wear name tags when they brought them in.

Sure, but it depends on what players you are talking about. Fred and Martin had never missed a game between them prior to this season and Fred was out all year and Martin played half the season with an injury that would have kept most players out.

Injuries are part of the game but if the Rams injuries were Gurley and Robert Woods the outcome would have been different.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
Sure, but it depends on what players you are talking about. Fred and Martin had never missed a game between them prior to this season and Fred was out all year and Martin played half the season with an injury that would have kept most players out.

Injuries are part of the game but if the Rams injuries were Gurley and Robert Woods the outcome would have been different.

They were without Cooper Kupp who is a better player than Robert Woods. And they did more damage with their backup RB than they did with Gurley.

Kaiser

Reaction score
They were without Cooper Kupp who is a better player than Robert Woods. And they did more damage with their backup RB than they did with Gurley.

Kupp is our Beasley, who missed most of the game. Woods is the best receiver they have. And if you think Anderson would have held up for 39 carries, I just gonna have to disagree there.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Yes and no. The Rams were the better team and we were playing in their house. We really didn't have much of a chance.

They had almost no home field advantage and they ran on us which is something our defense hasn’t allowed all season.

If they were better they shouldn’t have beat us the way they did. No excuse for 7 yards a carry.

rags747

Reaction score
Before the season began, I was waffling between 8-8 and 9-7 with no real thoughts about a deep playoff run. I actually was parroting my mantra of "anything short of a deep playoff run and Garrett should be gonzo" because I truly felt it wouldn't happen and entered this season thinking him getting fired was a real possibility.

Welp.. we are now stuck in the middle. He took us deep into the playoffs. Is this considered deep? I guess that's debatable. Does Jerry extend him? Lord.. The thought makes me cringe.

Anyways.. I digress... As a team, we did overachieve to a huge extent this year. Our team is very young too. One of the youngest teams in the NFL...

One thing I never felt down the stretch this year was that the team would snatch my heart from my chest. You guys know that old feeling we have all endured over the past 10 to 12 seasons. Those young guys battle to the very end and up until the very end of that game last night I felt we still had a chance.

But lackluster strategy, situational preparation, and play calling will take you down. That's reality. We have to get better in several areas including the OC.
Lipstick on a Pig is always appreciated, ty!

kevm3

Reaction score
what happened was Garrett does what he always does which is punch in a 'just enough' performance for Jerry to never fire him

Eddie

Reaction score
Overachieving doesn't remove the bad taste in my mouth after that horrendous performance last night. We were out-played in all phases of the game and it was painful to watch.

Nothing will change whiles Jerry Jones is in charge.