Let's say that pass to Glenn falls incomplete, would you have gone for it on 4th & 1?

jlust22

Reaction score
There was an interesting quote below from Jerry in JJT's game story in the Morning News about the Cowboys last possession at the end of the game.

"I was really getting frustrated for our players. To get that close and not get to overtime didn't seem right," Jerry Jones said. "After the penalty, there was no doubt we were in four-down territory. There was no question."

I wonder if Parcells felt the same way as Jerry. I am glad it didn't come to that, but it would have been interesting to see what they would have done. If the pass to Glenn fell incomplete, it would have been 4th & 1 at the 2 yard line and :24 seconds left. The Cowboys still had 2 TO's left. Parcells is conservative by nature, but I wonder if he would have gone for the win instead of play for the tie and OT (assuming of course Cundiff can make what amounts to an XP).

Also, I haven't seen much talk of it, but I guess the Cowboys were actually going to have Barber throw the halfback pass (looked that way on TV) on 2nd down from the 9. That's a gutsy call in that situation. If it works, it's genius, but can you imagine the hell Parcells would have caught if that blew up in their face. Either way, smart move by Barber to tuck it and run since KJ was covered. I thought that was an underrated and key play on his part to get 7 yds. on 2nd and 9.

Novacek84

Reaction score
Even though OT is sudden death, you really have to kick the FG on 4th down and hope your defense can stop them in OT if the Panthers get it first. I myself would be tempted to go for it because in my view of that situation, if you cant get in after 4 tries from the two you don't deserve to win anyway. But I believe Parcells would kick the FG. I'd go for it.

kingwhicker

BCRSA
Reaction score
No way would I have kicked again- period. I would've probably gone for two after the td just because you can't trust that jabroni.

ddh33

Reaction score
I think the "four down" talk comes from a complete lack of trust in the kicker.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No choice but to trot Cundiff in for a sure chipper FG. Oh wait, that doesn't exist. :mad:

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
I'd kick it. The odss he would mis a third FG would be astronomical.

On second thought I might go for it.

wileedog

Reaction score
cajuncowboy said:
I'd kick it. The odss he would mis a third FG would be astronomical.

On second thought I might go for it.

:laugh2:

The Billy Cundiff Era can't end soon enough.

EndGame

Reaction score
I don't trust Cundiff to kick a rock across the street. I would have gone for it -- Bledsoe keeper.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
I think go for it. The odds are just about as good going for it as they are of getting the ball in OT, making FG range, and making a FG, without the other team doing it first.