Let's step into the Way Back machine...

poke

the older I get the better I was
Reaction score
bart starrs sneak in the ice bowl....Cowboys win that game and the history of
our franchise would be even more famous than it is.

MrKennedyKennedy

Reaction score
Instead of a game-ending INT, Romo's last-ditch fourth down pass is tipped and caught for a winning TD.

(I was thinking about the bobbled snap, but even if Dallas had won this game, I truly don't think they could have beaten the Bears in Chicago)

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
MrKennedyKennedy;2272960 said:
Instead of a game-ending INT, Romo's last-ditch fourth down pass is tipped and caught for a winning TD.

(I was thinking about the bobbled snap, but even if Dallas had won this game, I truly don't think they could have beaten the Bears in Chicago)

Man, I'm not sure the fumbled field goal snap would have mattered against Seattle. I have a pretty good feeling they were going to drive the field again on our defense and win it anyways.

Hell, we STILL had a chance to get the ball back and they just ran it down our throats for a first down to ice it.

Anyways, onto my choice, I'd say the 94 NFC Championship PI. I was going to say the Crayton overthrow in the endzone last year, but I don't think we were playing well enough at that point in the year that we would have actually won the Super Bowl.

Aikbach

Reaction score
There are about six games in the 2005 season and 2006 season where Dallas was one corrected bad decision away from being 12-4 or 13-3 both seasons, you know stuff like a TO drop here and a Bledsoe start there.

MONT17

Reaction score
I was @ the game when -rvin went out so I have to go with that one and close second is Aikmans hit v the skins!

jman

Reaction score
Super Bowl XIII...

From Superbowl.com...

The Steelers broke open the contest with two touchdowns in a span of 19 seconds midway through the final period.

Franco Harris rambled 22 yards up the middle to give the Steelers a 28-17 lead with 7:10 left. Pittsburgh got the ball right back when Randy White fumbled the kickoff and Dennis Winston recovered for the Steelers. On first down, Bradshaw fired his fourth touchdown pass, an 18-yard pass to Lynn Swann to boost the Steelers' lead to 35-17 with 6:51 to play.

That play.

Everson24

Reaction score
Eric Wright's horse collar tackle on Drew Pearson with about 40 some seconds left in that game. That play would have been shown on NFL films millions of times instead of "The Catch" and we go on to win a Super Bowl with Danny White.

Second would be Crayton's hesitation on the route on the next to last play of the game against the Giants. A TD there would have made Romo a legend.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cajuncowboy;2272743 said:
sherman-peabody.jpg

A friend and I were talking today and we talked about this so I thought I would bring it up here....

What is the ONE play in Cowboys history you would change if you could?

For me it would be Jackie Smith's non catch.

That just irritated me for years. Still does a bit.
This rant isn't directed at Cajuncowboy.

It happened during a Super Bowl.

A dropped pass in the endzone is still a dropped pass in the endzone and it happened during a Super Bowl.

With all due respect to what if's that could have happened during NFC Championship games or NFC Divisional games or Campo becoming head coach (which was hilarious, by the way! :D ), etc, etc., there are two ultimate goals of a team each season:
  1. Reach the Super Bowl
  2. Win the Super Bowl
It doesn't matter whether you saw it or you read about it. The Dallas Cowboys reached Super Bowl XIII. They were there.

They weren't wishing they were there because Eric Wright made a touchdown saving tackle and prevented Drew Pearson from becoming an icon for that game instead of Dwight Clark.

:signmast: TRUE reason why we lost to the 49ers.

They weren't dreaming they were there because we atypically got ourselves into a DEEP hole against a Super Bowl caliber team by a) throwing an interception, b) fumbling back-to-back and c) watching those three straight turnovers turn into 21 points before two thirds of the 1st quarter had run its course.

:signmast: TRUE reason why we lost to the 49ers again.

The only game that remotely compares is the Ice Bowl regarded by many, Cowboys and non-Cowboys fans alike, as one of the greatest games in NFL history. Not footnotes. Let me repeat myself: h-i-s-t-o-r-y.

Does anyone believe that if that game had been played anywhere other than on a frozen (literally) piece of crap field and in sub 25 degree weather (without the wind chill), that game would have come down to a goaline stand? Heck, Jethro Pugh wouldn't have been blocked out of the hold for Bart Starr's sneak if that crappy field WASN'T frozen over.

:signmast: TRUE reason (or DallasEast's excuse, take your pick) why we lost to the Packers.

No, we were there. One of the two goals had been achieved. The team that scores the most points win. We didn't score enough and one of the primary reasons why was because Jackie Smith dropped a sure touchdown IN THE ENDZONE. With respect to Roger "Captain Comeback" Staubach, who is too classy to lay blame, the replay shows Smith sliding, BUT Staubach pass was aimed at Smith's numbers.

It wasn't a perfect pass, but hell, it was more than good enough.

All speculation boils down to woulda, coulda, shoulda, but in this case, there is only ONE woulda, coulda shoulda which would have made a difference during a Super Bowl. My goodness.

/rant off

lonestar6

Reaction score
Everyone picks the Deion PI call when referencing the '94 championship game, but I'd choose the long touchdown that Steve Young threw to Jerry Rice right before the half. The half should have been already been over at that point but Aikman had thrown 3 straight incompletions on the previous drive that gave the 49ers just enough time for that play. It completely sucked the life out of the comeback until it was too late as it turned an only 10 point deficit to 17 points (not bad considering the 21-0 lead we spotted them).

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
xpistofer;2272747 said:
I would have to say 'the catch' since it ended an era of dominance for us and began one for the stinkin 9ers...
We would have destroyed the Bengals in the SB!.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Hostile;2273137 said:
This one is mine in a runaway. Illegal Procedure, Jerry Kramer.

That hurts. Jerry freely admits that, laughingly, which is salt for the wound.

poke

Reaction score
ive already put in my two cents for the ice bowl , but in response to
the post about it needing to be during a Super bowl........

in 1967, the NFL Championship was bigger than the Super Bowl, i know its hard to understand if you werent around then but its true.

there was no doubt the NFL would whup the AFL in that first one or the second one or the third....oops I guess Broadway Joe had doubts with that 3rd one.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
poke;2273185 said:
ive already put in my two cents for the ice bowl , but in response to
the post about it needing to be during a Super bowl........

in 1967, the NFL Championship was bigger than the Super Bowl, i know its hard to understand if you werent around then but its true.

there was no doubt the NFL would whup the AFL in that first one or the second one or the third....oops I guess Broadway Joe had doubts with that 3rd one.
I didn't dispute that. I even stated, "The only game that remotely compares is the Ice Bowl regarded by many, Cowboys and non-Cowboys fans alike, as one of the greatest games in NFL history. Not footnotes. Let me repeat myself: h-i-s-t-o-r-y." So, how do I not understand the significance of the game? :confused:

Still, the Super Bowl had to start sometime, right? It was still in its infancy, but it was the beginning of matching two great professional football leagues. Just because the first Super Bowl wasn't as importance as the Ice Bowl doesn't make it any less significant to the legacy of the AFL|AFC/NFL|NFC annual title game.

poke

Reaction score
DallasEast;2273202 said:
I didn't dispute that. I even stated, "The only game that remotely compares is the Ice Bowl regarded by many, Cowboys and non-Cowboys fans alike, as one of the greatest games in NFL history. Not footnotes. Let me repeat myself: h-i-s-t-o-r-y." So, how do I not understand the significance of the game? :confused:

Still, the Super Bowl had to start sometime, right? It was still in its infancy, but it was the beginning of matching two great professional football leagues. Just because the first Super Bowl wasn't as importance as the Ice Bowl doesn't make it any less significant to the legacy of the AFL|AFC/NFL|NFC annual title game.

DallasEast...i didnt mean for that to sound like you didnt understand the importance of the Ice Bowl but after re-reading my post thats exactly what
it sounded like, MY BAD.

i had a huge mad on about Jackie Smiths dropped pass for years, i hated him for it because for years as a Cardinal he never dropped passes like that when they played the Boys. I finally convinced myself that he didnt cost us that game and again had respect for him as a player so thats why i dont
look at that drop as the one play i would change.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
poke;2273229 said:
DallasEast...i didnt mean for that to sound like you didnt understand the importance of the Ice Bowl but after re-reading my post thats exactly what
it sounded like, MY BAD.

i had a huge mad on about Jackie Smiths dropped pass for years, i hated him for it because for years as a Cardinal he never dropped passes like that when they played the Boys. I finally convinced myself that he didnt cost us that game and again had respect for him as a player so thats why i dont
look at that drop as the one play i would change.
No prob and I can respect your opinion of Jackie Smith. He was a pretty good tight end, which is why Schramm and Landry wanted him. I guess that I and Cajuncowboy (if I can be so bold as to speak for him) wanted more of him. His hands were so great for so many years for the Cardinals and when we need those hands the most, he failed to deliver. That non-catch is still stuck in my head too. Maybe I'll eventually get over it, but I kinda doubt it. :)

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
DallasEast;2273261 said:
No prob and I can respect your opinion of Jackie Smith. He was a pretty good tight end, which is why Schramm and Landry wanted him. I guess that I and Cajuncowboy (if I can be so bold as to speak for him) wanted more of him. His hands were so great for so many years for the Cardinals and when we need those hands the most, he failed to deliver. That non-catch is still stuck in my head too. Maybe I'll eventually get over it, but I kinda doubt it. :)

I'll never get over it. I dislike Jackie Smith to this day because of that drop. I didn't pick that play because who knows if we would have won that game or not. But if everything else remained equal that would have given us a victory.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
Daudr;2272856 said:
Is this even a question? It's "the catch," of course!

Ologan said:
There's nothing even close.

Totally agree.

There were some other gut-wrenching plays, like the Jackie Smith drop, but Dallas had to come from way behind in that game and there were several other weird plays in that game (the bogus penalty on Benny Barnes).

If Dwight Clark doesn't catch that ball, Dallas wins.

Then, they bury Cincy in the Super Bowl.

That play cost Dallas a Lombardi Trophy.