Let's talk about the linebacking corp

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dallas had a plan - LVE and Overshown. Both got hurt. They thought Cox would recover. They saw he didn't and moved on. They thought Harper would develop. He didn't and they moved on. They thought Clark would ascend, he hasn't. And thru all that, they are still a decent Run D at times. It turns out they didn't have the depth they thought when they ran their off-season.

So looking ahead. LVE is unlikely to come back. Overshown will be a full year away from his ACL by the time the season starts. Will he be completely healthy and how much can he really be counted on? Clark? He can be counted on as a backup but I'm not sure any of us want him starting. Bell needs moved back to safety.

By my count that leaves us with no starters and one backup and one big ? in Overshown. Needless to say multiple additions are needed. At least 3. I'm ok with one draft pick but not sure I want to count on two. That means we need to add a couple of vets. I liked the idea I read yesterday about Devin White as a possible FA addition. That is a good start but still need help.

Who knows what will happen at DC. If Quinn leaves, the new DC will have his own ideas about how what kind of defense he wants to run. If Quinn stays, will he (and Jerry) realize the cost in his lack of valuing the LB position this year? Especially before the end of the trading season? So may questions that need answered before FA and the draft. I'm not sure what it will look like in May. But right now, the LB corp is a total cluster. And teams will be gearing up to run against us again next year.

rambo2

Reaction score
Dallas had a plan - LVE and Overshown. Both got hurt. They thought Cox would recover. They saw he didn't and moved on. They thought Harper would develop. He didn't and they moved on. They thought Clark would ascend, he hasn't. And thru all that, they are still a decent Run D at times. It turns out they didn't have the depth they thought when they ran their off-season.

So looking ahead. LVE is unlikely to come back. Overshown will be a full year away from his ACL by the time the season starts. Will he be completely healthy and how much can he really be counted on? Clark? He can be counted on as a backup but I'm not sure any of us want him starting. Bell needs moved back to safety.

By my count that leaves us with no starters and one backup and one big ? in Overshown. Needless to say multiple additions are needed. At least 3. I'm ok with one draft pick but not sure I want to count on two. That means we need to add a couple of vets. I liked the idea I read yesterday about Devin White as a possible FA addition. That is a good start but still need help.

Who knows what will happen at DC. If Quinn leaves, the new DC will have his own ideas about how what kind of defense he wants to run. If Quinn stays, will he (and Jerry) realize the cost in his lack of valuing the LB position this year? Especially before the end of the trading season? So may questions that need answered before FA and the draft. I'm not sure what it will look like in May. But right now, the LB corp is a total cluster. And teams will be gearing up to run against us again next year.
They need to sign a veteran like Queen and draft Cooper from A&M and come up with another one from free agency or the draft.

fivetwos

Reaction score
It can be seen a mile away that they are going to count on Overshown as if he is a proven vet.

After last years poop show of a draft, if they don’t hit free agency for real this time then I don’t know what to say.

They have dead money/cap issues on the horizon regardless. If you’re gonna run it back with Dak and this staff, at least give them the help they need….or TRY to anyway.

cowboys5xsbs

Reaction score
Overshown and bell run it back. Maybe we draft a guy in the later rounds for depth.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score

It was safety, now it's LB that's in dire need. You surely can't bet the season on overshown,it seems like players that have this kind of injury on this team need almost 2 years to actually recover and have the confidence in that area.

Will the new coach if they come out in the media with jerry offer praise to the guys we already have and think there's no issue, or will we see that there's a problem there and be aggressive with it? Only time will tell, FA will be the start. We can't just keep on going with practice squad players and signing them to death, time to get some guys in here that can play

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
IMO we need real LBs. The problem goes further back than this but in 2016 the Rams blew us up with 250+ rushing yards in the playoffs and we still haven't adequately addressed it. Stop being cute with the hybrids. Football 101 is run and stop the run.
love this!!!!!

HanD

Reaction score
move micah back to lb and only rush him from de 3rd and passing downs.

take one of the clemson lbs in the 2nd after OL in the first. edit....barrett carter isn't coming out. trotter jr i would love in the 2nd.

phildadon86

Reaction score

Move Micah to LB. Draft a DT high again. Draft another LB in the 3rd or 2nd. Run defense fixed.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
They don't have to be all pro players, but you need to acquire at least two fringe starting caliber LBs or better this offseason who can compete for starting roles with Clark/Overshown and possibly LVE if he attempts to play another year. One of those needs to be a true middle backer.

Lets assume best case scenario here and both LVE and Overshown are 100% healthy going into next season....

Overshown is a converted safety, he's 6'3" 229lbs. He's not the stout run defender people are wanting when they talk about improving the linebacker position. Overshown is more of the same that the Cowboys ran out there the back half of this season...not knocking the guy, I'm a fan, but he doesn't fix the core issues the Cowboys had. LVE is a guy that can help in the run game, but I think LVE is a much better coverage backer than anything. I have to believe even if he is cleared to play for 2024 you would want to limit his snaps and not make him a guy you want to count on for 40+ plays in 17 games. Ideal situation in my mind would be to find a true run defender to put in the middle on 1st/2nd down and let LVE play mostly coverage on passing downs.

The X factor to all of this is would they actually move Parsons back to the second level, he could be a great rotational player with LVE.

rambo2

Reaction score
They trusted Quinn's judgement on the position and it has not worked out. They need to overhaul the entire position. Must get bigger LB's in
It was working OK when they had LVE. Trent Williams hit him with a cheap shot and put an end to that.

mardwin

Reaction score
LVE should have been gone a year after Jaylon was gone but Stephen's cheap arse wanted him back on the cheap. LVE best season was his rookie year, he's been average ever since. This front office has no serious plan to get the team better, they patch holes whenever they can instead of building a solid foundation. Micah playing defensive lineman when he should be a 3-down LB makes little sense. In the off-season linebacker and interior lineman should be priority 1 and 2.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
They trusted Quinn's judgement on the position and it has not worked out. They need to overhaul the entire position. Must get bigger LB's in
but but but but he can go to Notre Dame or some small school and workout a guy that he's interested in and get the fan base back on his side again!????? :rolleyes:

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
They don't have to be all pro players, but you need to acquire at least two fringe starting caliber LBs or better this offseason who can compete for starting roles with Clark/Overshown and possibly LVE if he attempts to play another year. One of those needs to be a true middle backer.

Lets assume best case scenario here and both LVE and Overshown are 100% healthy going into next season....

Overshown is a converted safety, he's 6'3" 229lbs. He's not the stout run defender people are wanting when they talk about improving the linebacker position. Overshown is more of the same that the Cowboys ran out there the back half of this season...not knocking the guy, I'm a fan, but he doesn't fix the core issues the Cowboys had. LVE is a guy that can help in the run game, but I think LVE is a much better coverage backer than anything. I have to believe even if he is cleared to play for 2024 you would want to limit his snaps and not make him a guy you want to count on for 40+ plays in 17 games. Ideal situation in my mind would be to find a true run defender to put in the middle on 1st/2nd down and let LVE play mostly coverage on passing downs.

The X factor to all of this is would they actually move Parsons back to the second level, he could be a great rotational player with LVE.
He's a guy to me that maybe we hoped cox could have been, with his size he'd be better in passing situations. Maybe to cover backs or TE's if he has those skills. I think he's a better blitzer if anything, if that's him MOVE HIM around and not have him come from one place all the time (Overshown)

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
LVE should have been gone a year after Jaylon was gone but Stephen's cheap arse wanted him back on the cheap. LVE best season was his rookie year, he's been average ever since. This front office has no serious plan to get the team better, they patch holes whenever they can instead of building a solid foundation. Micah playing defensive lineman when he should be a 3-down LB makes little sense. In the off-season linebacker and interior lineman should be priority 1 and 2.
THat was only because he was your 1st round pick