Let's talk about the linebacking corp

BBGTYCOON

Reaction score
For the record they should've gave Harper a chance. Depending on LVE in any way was poor management. Anyway, move forward:
Draft the 247lb MLB from Michigan, and sign a low cost vet like Blake Cashman. That gives you 2 Day 1 starters and everybody can prove themselves on STs.
:hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Great post from the Dog! LB is probably the biggest of many holes this team must address this off-season. There are some excellent young backers in this draft.

On a side note, regarding Quinn back here or not: I was thinking today if Quinn ends up in Sea, getting a top notch DC may be a little dicey for 2024 with Big Mac clearly on the hot seat and no contract beyond next year. Who wants to jump at a situation like that? Will be interesting.
They could promote from within is the only way out of that situation I think. Joe Whitt and Al Harris have the cred to take that position.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
We can’t rely on LVE or Overshown but the front office probably will. LVE is coming back imo, no word that he’s considering retirement.

Dalmations202

Reaction score
Overshown and Bell take the modified Sam position which Kearse has been manning (I don't remember if Kearse here next year or not.). They keep a modified S/SLB there for coverage because it is more of a passing league now.
IMO, Micah shouldn't be given a position, but should play any one of DE's or Mike or Will --- depending on the "other" team. Design your D without him, and let him play any of those positions and drive OC's nuts trying to figure out where he is coming from.
LVE is not a MLB -- at least not the one Dallas needed against teams that run the ball, and he was the best one Dallas had this year. Dallas needs to get several LB's, but they definitely need one --- I like Cooper, but my first LB pick would be Chris Braswell.
  • In coverage, Braswell shows excellent awareness and anticipation when dropping back into zone, and he has the fluidity and speed to run with most tight ends over the middle.
  • 6-3" 255lb 4.50 40..................
Overshown/Bell as Sam -- fast enough to run with TE and RBs, but will step up to tackle on running plays at them. Non starter will play backup to Clark as needed.
Clark as Will --- sideline to sideline runner
Braswell as Mike --- size the stuff the run, and ability to drop in zone, quickness to run with TE over the middle.

Parsons could be in either LB position or either DE position. He could have an undefined position and be a nightmare on OC's.

Could still use another LB or two for depth, but one big run stuffing LB with zone coverage skills would have made a huge difference in the D late in the year. IMO.
Use FA to bring in another run stuffing 1T to play with Hankins, and move Mazi to backup Osa.

Dallas isn't really but a couple players away from being pretty good on D. Offense is another story though. OL highly talented but weak. I just didn't see the heart nor them blowing guys off the line. None of them blew the Larry Allen horn this year that I saw.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Dallas had a plan - LVE and Overshown. Both got hurt. They thought Cox would recover. They saw he didn't and moved on. They thought Harper would develop. He didn't and they moved on. They thought Clark would ascend, he hasn't. And thru all that, they are still a decent Run D at times. It turns out they didn't have the depth they thought when they ran their off-season.

So looking ahead. LVE is unlikely to come back. Overshown will be a full year away from his ACL by the time the season starts. Will he be completely healthy and how much can he really be counted on? Clark? He can be counted on as a backup but I'm not sure any of us want him starting. Bell needs moved back to safety.

By my count that leaves us with no starters and one backup and one big ? in Overshown. Needless to say multiple additions are needed. At least 3. I'm ok with one draft pick but not sure I want to count on two. That means we need to add a couple of vets. I liked the idea I read yesterday about Devin White as a possible FA addition. That is a good start but still need help.

Who knows what will happen at DC. If Quinn leaves, the new DC will have his own ideas about how what kind of defense he wants to run. If Quinn stays, will he (and Jerry) realize the cost in his lack of valuing the LB position this year? Especially before the end of the trading season? So may questions that need answered before FA and the draft. I'm not sure what it will look like in May. But right now, the LB corp is a total cluster. And teams will be gearing up to run against us again next year.
I play LB in 1979 for Joel Barlow HS! I'll take the vet mim.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
Free agency is a used car lot. You rarely get what you pay for.

There are thumper LBs coming out in this upcoming draft. So show us, vaunted scouting staff… find one in ANY of rounds 1, 2, 3, or 7 (two picks). Show us.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Free agency is a used car lot. You rarely get what you pay for.

There are thumper LBs coming out in this upcoming draft. So show us, vaunted scouting staff… find one in ANY of rounds 1, 2, 3, or 7 (two picks). Show us.
Well at least you NFL tape, which is better than forecasting how a college player will transition to the NFL.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
Well at least you NFL tape, which is better than forecasting how a college player will transition to the NFL.
But at what cost? You usually end up paying for past performance.

Roll the dice. Trust your scouting and DON’T pay for another teams miles and dents. Draft FIRST - then use FA to fill in the gaps… provide the ‘bondo’, if you will.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Dallas had a plan - LVE and Overshown. Both got hurt. They thought Cox would recover. They saw he didn't and moved on. They thought Harper would develop. He didn't and they moved on. They thought Clark would ascend, he hasn't. And thru all that, they are still a decent Run D at times. It turns out they didn't have the depth they thought when they ran their off-season.

So looking ahead. LVE is unlikely to come back. Overshown will be a full year away from his ACL by the time the season starts. Will he be completely healthy and how much can he really be counted on? Clark? He can be counted on as a backup but I'm not sure any of us want him starting. Bell needs moved back to safety.

By my count that leaves us with no starters and one backup and one big ? in Overshown. Needless to say multiple additions are needed. At least 3. I'm ok with one draft pick but not sure I want to count on two. That means we need to add a couple of vets. I liked the idea I read yesterday about Devin White as a possible FA addition. That is a good start but still need help.

Who knows what will happen at DC. If Quinn leaves, the new DC will have his own ideas about how what kind of defense he wants to run. If Quinn stays, will he (and Jerry) realize the cost in his lack of valuing the LB position this year? Especially before the end of the trading season? So may questions that need answered before FA and the draft. I'm not sure what it will look like in May. But right now, the LB corp is a total cluster. And teams will be gearing up to run against us again next year.
Q had what he had to work with 2023 and had to play guys like Bell out of natural position.

With a healthy Overshown returning will reveal clearly how dynamic Qs scheme can/could be, and Marquise Bell was never going to fill Overshowns role.

That is what happens when you think you can fill starting roles with rooks, doesn't always work out so well.

Overshown returning means that he immediately upgrades the position, and now we get a player in Bell that can be elevated elsewhere.

Chuck 54

Reaction score

The only time I see them as a decent run team is when the other team chooses after one series to stop running.

Kingofholland

Reaction score

Appreciate the perspective as always, it'll be interesting what happens with LVE. I think many of us think he will retire, but that may not be the case but have to make plans without him. I probably am not as down on Cark, I thought he had a solid year, but didn't jump off the charts with playmaking which you hope to see with your main LB. Regardless we definitely need to prioritize LB on day 1 or 2.

Chasing6

Reaction score
But at what cost? You usually end up paying for past performance.

Roll the dice. Trust your scouting and DON’T pay for another teams miles and dents. Draft FIRST - then use FA to fill in the gaps… provide the ‘bondo’, if you will.
I think that is the cost you pay for having big holes on your roster.

CWR

Reaction score
IMO we need real LBs. The problem goes further back than this but in 2016 the Rams blew us up with 250+ rushing yards in the playoffs and we still haven't adequately addressed it. Stop being cute with the hybrids. Football 101 is run and stop the run.
I think that was 2018, but yeah I've been saying the same thing. We still haven't corrected the problem all these years later. We may field reasonable run D numbers but when push comes to shove the big boys always hit us in the mouth.