Let's talk S. Gilmore

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
LOL,.. and fans complain about Jerry and Stephen "we like our own" mantra. Gilmore will turn 34 when the season starts and he already is looking worn. Lost several steps obviously. Doesn't clamp down like he used to 3 or 4 years ago. He ain't gonna play for a discount neither so forget that, . go with Bland and Diggs at CB..and maybe even pickup a solid vet CB in the off season. But you gotta start cutting some fat off if you gonna stock some younger talent especially at LB where we got none...just safeties out of position. The DQ defense can go with him back to Seattle. This team HAS to be able to stop the freaking run.. when will that be taken care of?

visionary

Reaction score
That "cushion" is a designed cushion by our beloved DC. Bland is a legit steal we got in Dallas. He has room to grow as a player, but honestly I think he's better than Diggs. Bland isn't afraid to tackle.
Not really
The cushion is there because Bland is slow with ok technique

bigE79

Reaction score
Do we sign him to a 1 year deal or let him walk. I would like to bring him back for 1 year, but then we probably lose Jlew, who really came on the second half of the season. I'm also not sold on Bland all the way yet. The play when he gave the TE for GB that cushion,which led to a 3rd down conversion, makes me think that he may be having some confidence issues. Also, with Diggs he may not be his old self until the 2025 season after coming back from his Acl.
I would definitely try to sign him back,the guy had a torn labrum and still played the best he could.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Do we sign him to a 1 year deal or let him walk. I would like to bring him back for 1 year, but then we probably lose Jlew, who really came on the second half of the season. I'm also not sold on Bland all the way yet. The play when he gave the TE for GB that cushion,which led to a 3rd down conversion, makes me think that he may be having some confidence issues. Also, with Diggs he may not be his old self until the 2025 season after coming back from his Acl.
They were playing zone. DQ was trying to compensate for Gilmore shoulder injury. Bizarre decision.

quickccc

Reaction score
Was that Bland's choice to back off the line with a cushion ? .. or was that a defensive call from the coaches ?

- Bland was not the only one giving up cushions and zone vs GB, ..i could understand Gilmore giving up
cushion coverage becuz he cannot jam-press at the line with that arm harness (shoulder injury)

- BTW, our safeties had their very worse game of the year, at the very critical point of the year. Horrible !

- Because Gilmore graded out so well during the regular season, and depending upon another one year deal
for amount of money he'd asked for ( and keep in mind per Cap Boy Stephen) it's not likely Gilmore will return.

- Having Gilly here brings a tremendous luxury. remember when DC switched Giilmore on the best WR
on several game stretch including Bland struggled vs Metcalf- Seattle ? but we'll have to see per new DC,
and what the club decides on his return ?

quickccc

Reaction score
No. I like him but his veteran presence isn't the type that matters. We need a young dawg. Gilly is in his twilight and he showed more fight than any db we've had since the 90s. He deserves better
it did matter when Bland was getting murdered vs Seattle' DJ Metcalf , and Quinn switched vet Gilmore to defend Metcalf instead, and he performed well. .that moved saved a close win game. (at home at that)

and that's when Gilly's vet experience matters. At his twilight age, we just cannot have him for several years.
With Bland who can play inside slot or outside, we'll have great flexibility plan.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Bland maybe a better slot corner. Diggs and Gilmore are better down the field defending the deep ball.
Gilmore got slaughtered Sunday. Do not want him back under any circumstances. Bland is not an outside corner. Gives up waaaaaay too many yards. We need to draft S, CB and DT in the first 3 rounds.

blueblood70

Reaction score
well i think you need to bring him back simply because we don't know it's going to take for Trayvon diggs to get back from his ACL we've seen all these other players with injuries take a little longer to get back into form... Also who else is ready on our team I didn't see Dan Quinn be comfortable with bringing any of these other young corners that were on our team to the game or put them in a game and let them cover someone... I know we can probably draft another corner but really we've got a lot of other needs that it would probably be smart to bring this dude back for one more year if he wants to play that includes Brandon cooks...

quickccc

Reaction score
Bland maybe a better slot corner. Diggs and Gilmore are better down the field defending the deep ball.
Odd thing is neither Diggs nor aging/post ACL Gilmore are speed merchants but usually Gilmore is savvy at keeping positioning with the WRs downfield

While Diggs had actually improved his vertical coverage and not giving up as many deep bombs last year in '22, but now with Diggs' ACL recover, who knows how much that will affect his coverage ability now.

Bland is supposedly 4.4 guy (per pre-draft numbers) , but he tends to play much better going forward and driving on the ball, than he does turning and running in reverse up field...I would like to think that is an area, he will improve and get better as he gains more outside starting experience.

But I'll l also have to await to see who the new DC and asst. coaches are - New DC may want to bring in his own asst. DB coaches .

Stak78

Reaction score
Gilmore got slaughtered Sunday. Do not want him back under any circumstances. Bland is not an outside corner. Gives up waaaaaay too many yards. We need to draft S, CB and DT in the first 3 rounds.
Gilmore is fine and is not the problem. Bland is an excellent slot corner and an average outside corner. Find a defensive coordinator that knows how to call the correct coverages. We took a DT in the first round last year. We need a freakin linebacker in the draft more than the other three.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
For the right price. Diggs, Bland and Gilmore is fine by me. I think acl injury on Diggs isn’t gonna be a walk in the park.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I'm not afraid to give him a 1 or 2 year deal. My hope is that next year he'd be the #3 CB and the year after #4. He's a good veteran depth piece who can step in and not be completely lost.

shabazz

Reaction score
I was thinking to put Diggs in the slot until he's 100% back from his injury. It may take several games for him to get back to football game speed and shape

Stak78

Reaction score
I was thinking to put Diggs in the slot until he's 100% back from his injury. It may take several games for him to get back to football game speed and shape
I think the slot involves more cutting and quick change of direction than outside CB. That’s why they are usually shorter DBs that play slot corner. If Diggs isn’t up to speed it will be hard to hide him anywhere.

kskboys

Reaction score
Not relevant. Fix 3 tech and the LBing corps, or nothing we do will matter.

Cebrin

Reaction score
Not really
The cushion is there because Bland is slow with ok technique
We played the 3rd highest rate of man coverage all year, and we're ranked 13th in doing it whilst 20th when playing zone. Dan called a bad game. Also, a 4.48 40 is not slow. Sauce runs a 4.1. That's a marginal difference in game time. One of those two guys is a ball hawk.