Linebacker Jason Williams posted the day’s best results in both the 40 and the vertic

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Leathernecks hold pro testing day for 14 NFL teams
Courtesy: Jason Kaufman
Release: 03/03/2009

Photo Album

Courtesy: Western Illinois University
http://www.wiuathletics.com/
Twelve former Leathernecks worked out for 14 NFL scouts Tuesday in Western Hall.

MACOMB, Ill. - Fourteen NFL teams were represented at Western Illinois’ pro scout day Tuesday as 12 former Leathernecks worked out in Western Hall.

After being measured and weighed, then tested in the 225-pound bench press, players moved to the gym floor for the 40-yard dash, broad jump, vertical jump, three-cone drill and the 20-yard shuttle.

In the bench press, during which scouts are measuring endurance in addition to strength, running back Herb Donaldson posted 28 repetitions - the highest number of the day.

Linebacker Jason Williams posted the day’s best results in both the 40 and the vertical jump. His time of 4.49 seconds was .07 seconds faster than the quickest linebacker invited to last month’s NFL combine, and would have placed second among all cornerbacks and third among the safeties. His vertical jump of 39 inches was two inches better than any of the combine’s linebackers. Williams put up 26 repetitions in the bench press.

Donaldson and Williams are the Leathernecks receiving the most attention from scouts leading up to the April 25-26 NFL Draft. Both of them received short individual workouts on Hanson Field at the conclusion indoor drills.

“From a coaches’ standpoint, I was very proud of how our draft-eligible players represented their team,” said Western Illinois head coach Don Patterson. “They have prepared long and hard for this and I am really proud of how they performed as a group. Herb really helped himself today. He showed that he could catch the ball really well outside. And Jason proved to the scouts why he was the best all-around athlete on our team.”

The Leathernecks have a storied tradition of sending players to the NFL, as six former Leathernecks are currently in the professional ranks and six of the last eight Super Bowl champions have included Western Illinois alumni.

NFL teams in attendance today were the Buccaneers, Browns, Chiefs, Colts, Dolphins, Eagles, Falcons, 49ers, Packers, Panthers, Patriots, Rams, Titans and Vikings.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
thats what i was thinking,thats why i posted it, maybe a sleeper linebacker

RamziD

Reaction score
Great find CowboyJoe! Looks like a legitimate sleeper prospect.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
I've been raving about this guy for awhile now

dude is a player, forced an NCAA all-division tying record 14 fumbles

he was a rated a 5th rounder by NFLDraftScout a few weeks ago, so he probably goes into that 3rd round range now, since LBs are kind of weak this year

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
iRoot4Losers;2666185 said:
I've been raving about this guy for awhile now

dude is a player, forced an NCAA all-division tying record 14 fumbles

he was a rated a 5th rounder by NFLDraftScout a few weeks ago, so he probably goes into that 3rd round range now, since LBs are kind of weak this year

I'd swoop him with the Lions 4th rounder. His 240 frame screams ILB..but is he better at OLB?

BigWillie

Reaction score
Never pay attention to any of the timed events from a players pro day. It's almost worthless as compared to the combine times. They are always faster unless a player just completely blows his own pro day.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;2666187 said:
I'd swoop him with the Lions 4th rounder. His 240 frame screams ILB..but is he better at OLB?

he's an ILB in the 3-4, he's not much of a pass-rusher, but is great near the line and chasing TEs in coverage, big hitter to boot

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
BigWillie;2666190 said:
Never pay attention to any of the timed events from a players pro day. It's almost worthless as compared to the combine times. They are always faster unless a player just completely blows his own pro day.

IDK i think he would of ran a high 4.5 or a low 4.6 at the combine.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
BigWillie;2666190 said:

not always

remember Mike Williams? :)

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
agreed - he's a 458 - 4.6 guy then if he runs the combine
i'd say 5th rounder - and i;d take a flyer on him. Bt IMO we also need a Jasper BRinkley in round 4

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
There were great reports about this kid during the East-West Shrine Game practices. He was always around the ball, played faster than all the LBs (on either side), was very tough at the POA and most importantly, smoothly covered TEs and RBs.

He's definitely a WILB in Wade's scheme.

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
ukinto8;2666226 said:
agreed - he's a 458 - 4.6 guy then if he runs the combine
i'd say 5th rounder - and i;d take a flyer on him. Bt IMO we also need a Jasper BRinkley in round 4

I would take Brinkley too.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
iRoot4Losers;2666191 said:
he's an ILB in the 3-4, he's not much of a pass-rusher, but is great near the line and chasing TEs in coverage, big hitter to boot

Williams is actually a very effective pass rusher. He was among the team leaders in sacks the last 2 seasons.

That said, he is suited to play inside in Wade's scheme.

DFWJC

Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;2666111 said:
Thanks. wow. 240 and runs a 4.5?? 8 sacks and 16.5 TFL is impressive. What's this guys draft stock now? Was he a UFA before and now a 5th rounder?

That is impressive. But remember that official electronic times are usually a good bit slower...the campus 40 times are never right.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
DFWJC;2667655 said:
That is impressive. But remember that official electronic times are usually a good bit slower...the campus 40 times are never right.

Yes, but the scouting reports out of the East-West Shrine Game practices were raving about his game speed, he was clearly the quickest/fastest LB.

A lot of big school LBs were at that game/practices, even notable "speedsters" like Danell Ellerbe, Jason Phillips, Victor Butler, even Jasper Brinkley.

I will take game speed over 40 times any day, but if the 40 times support what you see on the field, even better.