Linebacker Tips (agility/speed)

dallasblue05

Reaction score
Kind of off topic I know, but Mods if you could leave this up for a bit so I get a good response I'd appreciate it.

I tried out for a local pro-am football team this weekend, and made it past the first cut. They've invited me back for the mini-camps in the beginning of December, but I really want to work on my speed/agility and put on muscle weight to better fit the linebacker position. I am about 6'1" 210 lbs, however I'm not the smallest linebacker out there. I really want to try and add a good amount of muscle weight before the camps start. Anyone out there got any tips for me. You can let me know via this board or send me a PM of any GOOD links you know of for training techniques and tips. Thanks a lot guys for you help!!

RESPECT

NorTex

Reaction score
No offense, my friend but it sounds like maybe you should play safety. Then you wouldn't have to bulk up, just work on speed/agility. You could even lose some weight, which would be easier than building muscle.

dallasblue05

Reaction score
calcbfan1 said:
No offense, my friend but it sounds like maybe you should play safety. Then you wouldn't have to bulk up, just work on speed/agility. You could even lose some weight, which would be easier than building muscle.

I understand but realize we wont be playing the super huge guys you see in the NFL. I was one of the taller guys, and just slightly smaller than the rest of the backers. I wont be facing NFL sized compettition, but I see where youre going. I actually was going to play safety, but 4 knee surgeries has got my speed way down. I had my last surgery 2 years ago, but I'm still not as fast as I used to be. My shuttle run was 4.7 so I am getting there, I just want to bulk up for the most part.

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
dallasblue05 said:
Kind of off topic I know, but Mods if you could leave this up for a bit so I get a good response I'd appreciate it.

I tried out for a local pro-am football team this weekend, and made it past the first cut. They've invited me back for the mini-camps in the beginning of December, but I really want to work on my speed/agility and put on muscle weight to better fit the linebacker position. I am about 6'1" 210 lbs, however I'm not the smallest linebacker out there. I really want to try and add a good amount of muscle weight before the camps start. Anyone out there got any tips for me. You can let me know via this board or send me a PM of any GOOD links you know of for training techniques and tips. Thanks a lot guys for you help!!

RESPECT

At least one Dr. Pepper a day, and ice cream before bed time...you'll put on weight in no time :lmao:

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
First let me say, I'm not an authority in any way other than playing highschool and junior college football and working in a gym for a few years through college.

Is it a base 4-3 defense? If so, speed would be the more important factor over adding say, 10 pounds. I definately would be careful not to put on so much weight as to slow down or lose any agility.
If I were you I'd run lots of sprints and agility drills, and then eat a lot, but make sure that you're eating good foods.

I'd monitor my weight closely and if I started gaining too much, I'd pull back a bit. Losing footspeed and lateral quickness will get you cut faster than being a bit undersized. Monitor your drill times and if you start consistently losing any speed, drop some of the gained weight.

Just my two cents worth.

AmericasTeam31

Reaction score
I never played football in an organized league, but I did play basketball. One thing is for sure, people will always find something wrong with your build, or you weight. It's your performance that will get you the spot on the team. Dat is a perfect example. Parcells didn't like him at first glance, he thought he was "too small". His performance and effort won him over. If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't worry so much about what my build is, rather I'd make sure I knew where I was supposed to be and what I was supposed to do and I'd guarantee you will make it.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
dallasblue05 said:

RESPECT

What team and in what league are you trying out for?

My advice to you is for this season (since you probably don't have a lot of time before the season starts) is to work mainly on your shoulders (Heavy heavy weight. You have to get use to handling heavy weight asap) and your legs. Doing a lot of leg weights will help carry you through the season. It'll help prevent you from getting dead-leg.

I play for the Red Raiders in the TUFL. We should start tryouts pretty soon (I've been with the team for 2 years now). I've been concentrating on my shoulders since the season ended. I got hurt on the first kickoff of the season last year (shoulder) and it bothered me for about a month. Working on getting my shoulders stronger/bigger so I can take on and deliver hits a little better.

As far as agility, if you don't have much time till the season starts then do a lot of jump rope. You can mix in different types of drills while doing jump rope too.

Reaction score
Sounds like a blast!
I played for years in the NFL "Air it out" flag football & a good seasonal program at a indoor place here in Indy...

I still love to compete but I tore a tenden in my foot about 4 years back & haven't had the outstanding quickness I once was known for...

Are you working out at all now?
Have you before?

To me, it sounds like with your history of knee injury's and the level of play, I would work on becoming a better football player vs gaining weight & putting more stress on the weak area's of your body...

It doesn't sound like 210 is too bad of a weight to me?

But you can of course still become stronger while losing fat & gaining muscle & quickness without any weight change at all...

I would focus on becoming quicker & working out on things football specific...

Nutrition & stamina are also vital to becoming as good as you can...

Do you get to scout the teams you play?

Know your position and your strong points...
Good luck/skill & let us know how your doing!

From a former high school star :laugh2:

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
AmericasTeam31 said:
If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't worry so much about what my build is, rather I'd make sure I knew where I was supposed to be and what I was supposed to do and I'd guarantee you will make it.

Good advice. So was Rack's and HH's.

I almost mentioned Rack since I know he plays in a league... listen to him and he'll give some sound advice.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
AsthmaField said:
Good advice. So was Rack's and HH's.

I almost mentioned Rack since I know he plays in a league... listen to him and he'll give some sound advice.

Unless I'm playing against him. :devil:

NorTex

Reaction score
I coach young teens, so I don't know how well this translates to adults.

Here's a drill I encourage the kids to run on their own.

Get your hands on the largest heavy bag (Boxing) that you can get.

Set up a at least 3 or 4 obstacles (cones, chairs, etc...) in your yard, or more. Set the bag upright about 2 yards maybe 3 away from one of the obstacles. Run/shuttle forwards, sideways and backwards thru the cones until your legs are burning and then explode into the heavy bag. Do that at least a dozen times a day. You'll see improvement in your explosiveness.

Change the configuration of the cones after 3 or 4 times thru.

Hope this helps. Have fun!

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Forget gaining weight this close to camp....semi-pro isn't even as competitive as arena football...there will be fat lardbutt guys out there and 5'10" 190 lb linebackers....you are plenty big enough to play LB in semi-pro if you're any good.

Work on conditioning, ankle and knee strength...you'll either be good enough and instinctive enough or you won't be...weight and speed won't really matter at that level.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
wayne_motley said:
Forget gaining weight this close to camp....semi-pro isn't even as competitive as arena football...there will be fat lardbutt guys out there and 5'10" 190 lb linebackers....you are plenty big enough to play LB in semi-pro if you're any good.

Work on conditioning, ankle and knee strength...you'll either be good enough and instinctive enough or you won't be...weight and speed won't really matter at that level.

I agree with most of this.

Like I said, just build up your shoulders and legs. And that's just to help you last the whole season and handle taking on blocks and tackling.

Other then that, if you can play, you can play.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Rack said:
Unless I'm playing against him. :devil:

What position do you play Rack?

I always wished I had tried to do something like play semi-pro.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
AsthmaField said:
What position do you play Rack?

I always wished I had tried to do something like play semi-pro.

FB. But I'm gonna play some DL next season too, but only in passing situations. No playing the run for me. :D

dallasblue05

Reaction score
Wow, thank you to all who gave some good advice. To answer some of the questions......

The team is the Wichita Aztecas, Wichita Kansas the Central Football League. I do work out, and have for years now. I ran my shuttle in 4.7 so I need to work on that a little and get it to around 4.4 if I can. My main focus is to, like most of you said, get stronger. It isnt realy the weight, just turning the fat to muscle. Althnough I wouldnt mind putting on about 10 muscle lbs, but who wouldnt right, lol. The knee injuries of the past shouldnt be a problem mainly cause it was a couple years ago. I've been playing intramural flag football here on base, so I know I can still move, and I know I should be able to pick up the playbook if I study it well enough. The big thing I'm worried about is being able to shed blocks from O-line guys. Those guys can be pretty strong, and I want to make sure I dont get owned by them, so I really like the shoulder idea. Keep the ideas coming if anyone else has some.

Eddie

Reaction score
Testosterone, Human Growth Hormone, and the original whizzinator. :)

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
dallasblue05 said:

RESPECT

What is your 40 time?

Good luck.....