Linebackers in the 09 Draft...

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
OK, as we're looking at the draft priorities for the Cowboys this year, we've already taken a look at the offensive and defensive linemen likely to be available in the various rounds... if you couldn't tell, I'm looking for a meat and potatoes draft, one oriented to the trenches...

At the same time, I recognize that the Boys need a cover-type ILB to take over Kevin Burnett's role, and greater depth at OLB, so in this thread, I propose to look at the linebackers in the upcoming draft...

SECOND ROUND:

Clint Sintim, OLB, Virginia... 6-3, 255 pounds, 4.75 second 40... a true rush linebacke, he may be off the board at pick 51... some scouts project that he'll eventually move to ILB...

Marcus Freeman, OLB, Ohio State... 6-1, 240 pounds, 4.55 second 40... great agility...

Derry Beckwith, ILB, LSU... 6-1, 235 pounds, 4.65 second 40... cover ability is his strength...

The Boys have looked at a lot of linebackers likely to go early in this draft, including all three of the above... this suggests to this observer that linebacker will be an early priority in the 09 Draft for the Boys...

Lawrence Sidbury, Jr., OLB, Richmond... 6-3, 265 pounds, 4.55 second 40...

ROUND THREE:

Dannell Ellerbe, ILB, Georgia... 6-1, 235 pounds, 4.65 second 40... considered by some scouts to be the best pure cover LB in this draft...

ROUND FOUR:

Jason Williams, OLB/ILB, Western Illinois... 6-1, 240 pounds, 4.5 second 40... a player the Cowboys like, he's shooting up the charts, thanks mostly to his sub-4.5 second 40 times...

Gerald McRath, ILB/OLB, Southern Mississippi... 6-3, 230 pounds, 4.5 second 40... another very fast ILB...

Cody Brown, OLB, Connecticut... 6-2, 245 pounds, 4.75 second 40... the Boys have talked with Cody...

Zack Follett, OLB, California... 6-2, 235 pounds, 4.7 second 40... the Boys have shown interest in him too...

Jason Phillips, ILB, Texas Christian... 6-1, 240 pounds, 4.6 second 40... another cover-type ILB that the Boys are high on... that makes 4 linebackers that the Boys like, who should go in the 4th round range; don't be surprised if they go linebacker with one of their 4ths...

FIFTH ROUND:

Jasper Brinkley, ILB, South Carolina... 6-2, 250 pounds, 4.65 second 40... might be a steal here, injuries ruined his college career...

Phillip Hunt, OLB, Houston... 6-1, 245 pounds, 4.75 second 40... Conference USA's Defensive Player of the Year, he shows pass rush potential...

SIXTH ROUND/SEVENTH ROUND:

DeAndre Levy, OLB, Wisconsin... 6-2, 235 pounds, 4.55 second 40...

Antonio Appleby, ILB, Virginia... 6-4, 245 pounds, 4.7 second 40... well-schooled in an NFL-style 3-4 defense...

Josh Mauga, ILB/OLB, Nevada... 6-2, 245 pounds, 4.65 second 40...

Robert Francois, OLB/ILB, Boston College... 6-2, 245 pounds, 4.6 second 40...

Daniel Holtzclaw, ILB/OLB, Eastern Michigan... 6-1, 245 pounds, 4.7 second 40...

Mike Rivera, OLB/ILB, Kansas... 6-2, 245 pounds, 4.65 second 40...

PRIORITY UNDRAFTED ROOKIE FREE AGENTS:

Dan Skuta, OLB, Grand Valley State... 6-2, 250 pounds, 4.65 second 40... the Boys like him...

Julius Williams, OLB, Connecticut... 6-2, 265 pounds, 4.65 second 40...

Slade Norris, OLB, Oregon State... 6-2, 235 pounds, 4.65 second 40...

Brad Jones, OLB, Colorado... 6-3, 235 pounds, 4.55 second 40...

Dave Philistin, ILB/OLB, Maryland... 6-1, 235 pounds, 4.6 second 40...

Brandon Swain, OLB, West Texas A&M... 6-3, 255 pounds, 4.75 second 40...

Willie Williams, OLB, Union... 6-3, 230 pounds, 4.5 second 40...

Dakota Walker, OLB, Georgia Southern... 6-3, 240 pounds, 4.7 second 40...

Once again, I could make a case for drafting a linebacker in the 4th round range, then another late in the draft... either Jason Williams or Jason Phillips in the 4th, then Phillip Hunt or Antonio Appleby later in the draft... then go out and sign Skuta and Swain for training camp depth...

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
Getting Jason Williams to round 4 makes me nervous, because his skills really stand out and matchup perfectly with Dallas' needs at that position. That is who I want. I think he's the best guy for that ILB job. He can use his speed to run with TEs when the Cowboys run Phillips' 46. His size/speed ratio is very impressive. They have him at 4.44, I think. He has the skill set to be an every down linebacker. He had production on the field, too. In a group of slow linebackers, he sticks out like a sore thumb. I love his speed. He could have played in the SEC running like that.

I don't think Darry Beckwith is the answer to Dallas' ILB problem. I think he is a smoke screen. If you look at his 20 yard shuttle, it's really bad. That doesn't bode well for coverage. Plus, he has an off the field incident, and he had some durability issues. He's a solid player, but I think he's overrated. I think he's going to need to play zone coverage due to his lack of long speed and he's stiff. He's going to have problems matching up with TEs and RBs, imo.

I just read a list of small school players and where they were projected to go. Lawrence Sidbury was projected to go in rounds 1-2. That isn't what I wanted to hear.

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
Bear, what round is McKillop projected to. 3rd. - 4th ? supposed to be smart. Not on your list ?

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
Ellerbe is my favorite ILB prospect for the boys..

and the best thing about him is that he can be had with our third rounder..which allows us to go another direction with our 2nd.

silverbear

Reaction score
kiheikiwi;2711747 said:
Bear, what round is McKillop projected to. 3rd. - 4th ? supposed to be smart. Not on your list ?

I see him as a 4th rounder, and I see him as more of a 4-3 MLB... I don't think he's a particularly good fit in the Cowboys' scheme...

Woods

Reaction score
I wonder if the Cowboys would take Sidbury at 51?

I know we're interesed in him. I thought he was more of an early 3rd rounder, but he appears to be moving up.

silverbear

Reaction score
Woods;2711803 said:
I wonder if the Cowboys would take Sidbury at 51?

I know we're interesed in him. I thought he was more of an early 3rd rounder, but he appears to be moving up.

I think it's possible, but I wouldn't go OLB that early, to be honest with you...

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
41gy#;2711742 said:
Getting Jason Williams to round 4 makes me nervous, because his skills really stand out and matchup perfectly with Dallas' needs at that position. That is who I want. I think he's the best guy for that ILB job. He can use his speed to run with TEs when the Cowboys run Phillips' 46. His size/speed ratio is very impressive. They have him at 4.44, I think. He has the skill set to be an every down linebacker. He had production on the field, too. In a group of slow linebackers, he sticks out like a sore thumb. I love his speed. He could have played in the SEC running like that.

I don't think Darry Beckwith is the answer to Dallas' ILB problem. I think he is a smoke screen. If you look at his 20 yard shuttle, it's really bad. That doesn't bode well for coverage. Plus, he has an off the field incident, and he had some durability issues. He's a solid player, but I think he's overrated. I think he's going to need to play zone coverage due to his lack of long speed and he's stiff. He's going to have problems matching up with TEs and RBs, imo.

I just read a list of small school players and where they were projected to go. Lawrence Sidbury was projected to go in rounds 1-2. That isn't what I wanted to hear.

Thank God people have started coming to their senses about Beckwith. That is the one LB that I never wanted Dallas to take, for the very reasons you outlined. And you are spot on about JW, he is rising_fast, maybe out of Dallas range right now. I just hope he is still there in the 4th.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
BAT;2713900 said:
Thank God people have started coming to their senses about Beckwith. That is the one LB that I never wanted Dallas to take, for the very reasons you outlined. And you are spot on about JW, he is rising_fast, maybe out of Dallas range right now. I just hope he is still there in the 4th.

I've never seen Beckwith play, honestly (or didn't pay attention to him when I saw an LSU game), but I get a bad vibe from him. I suspect he's one of those players rated higher by the internet scouts ranking players from their mom's basement than by the pro teams themselves.

I definitely could see us going for Jason Williams pretty early. I think we'll also take a guy like Phillips (because of the knee) or Holtzclaw later.

I also agree that we go for that 3rd passrushing OLB a bit later. I think the staff likes Spencer a lot, so why use a high pick there? Wade will find a guy like he did with Shaun Phillips a little later. Heck, before he went loony, Steve Foley was a good rusher for Wade at SD, and he was just a journeyman who had done nothing. Maybe a guy like Nick Reed, who is probably too small to play full time but knows how to rush?

Woods

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2713946 said:
I've never seen Beckwith play, honestly (or didn't pay attention to him when I saw an LSU game), but I get a bad vibe from him. I suspect he's one of those players rated higher by the internet scouts ranking players from their mom's basement than by the pro teams themselves.

I definitely could see us going for Jason Williams pretty early. I think we'll also take a guy like Phillips (because of the knee) or Holtzclaw later.

I also agree that we go for that 3rd passrushing OLB a bit later. I think the staff likes Spencer a lot, so why use a high pick there? Wade will find a guy like he did with Shaun Phillips a little later. Heck, before he went loony, Steve Foley was a good rusher for Wade at SD, and he was just a journeyman who had done nothing. Maybe a guy like Nick Reed, who is probably too small to play full time but knows how to rush?

You make some very good points.

I have to say, at this point I getting more and more confused which direction we go in Round 2.

I'd like to take D Robinson, but if he's gone, and no "top" player falls (i.e., Delmas, etc.), I really wonder what the staff have in mind.

BigBoy63

Reaction score
I would be happy with Sidbury in the 3rd. and Appleby in the 6th/7th. Also if we did not get Sidbury then i would want sintim in the 2nd.

Bizwah

Reaction score
I like Brinkley. I would love to see us get a good cover LB like Ellerbe...but I would really like to see us get a thumper too. It seems we've been weak up the gut for years. He has the size I like.

Of course his injury situation makes me a bit nervous about him.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
silverbear;2711672 said:
OK, as we're looking at the draft priorities for the Cowboys this year, we've already taken a look at the offensive and defensive linemen likely to be available in the various rounds... if you couldn't tell, I'm looking for a meat and potatoes draft, one oriented to the trenches...

At the same time, I recognize that the Boys need a cover-type ILB to take over Kevin Burnett's role, and greater depth at OLB, so in this thread, I propose to look at the linebackers in the upcoming draft...

SECOND ROUND:

Clint Sintim, OLB, Virginia... 6-3, 255 pounds, 4.75 second 40... a true rush linebacke, he may be off the board at pick 51... some scouts project that he'll eventually move to ILB...

Marcus Freeman, OLB, Ohio State... 6-1, 240 pounds, 4.55 second 40... great agility...

Derry Beckwith, ILB, LSU... 6-1, 235 pounds, 4.65 second 40... cover ability is his strength...

The Boys have looked at a lot of linebackers likely to go early in this draft, including all three of the above... this suggests to this observer that linebacker will be an early priority in the 09 Draft for the Boys...

Lawrence Sidbury, Jr., OLB, Richmond... 6-3, 265 pounds, 4.55 second 40...

ROUND THREE:

Dannell Ellerbe, ILB, Georgia... 6-1, 235 pounds, 4.65 second 40... considered by some scouts to be the best pure cover LB in this draft...

ROUND FOUR:

Jason Williams, OLB/ILB, Western Illinois... 6-1, 240 pounds, 4.5 second 40... a player the Cowboys like, he's shooting up the charts, thanks mostly to his sub-4.5 second 40 times...

Gerald McRath, ILB/OLB, Southern Mississippi... 6-3, 230 pounds, 4.5 second 40... another very fast ILB...

Cody Brown, OLB, Connecticut... 6-2, 245 pounds, 4.75 second 40... the Boys have talked with Cody...

Zack Follett, OLB, California... 6-2, 235 pounds, 4.7 second 40... the Boys have shown interest in him too...

Jason Phillips, ILB, Texas Christian... 6-1, 240 pounds, 4.6 second 40... another cover-type ILB that the Boys are high on... that makes 4 linebackers that the Boys like, who should go in the 4th round range; don't be surprised if they go linebacker with one of their 4ths...

FIFTH ROUND:

Jasper Brinkley, ILB, South Carolina... 6-2, 250 pounds, 4.65 second 40... might be a steal here, injuries ruined his college career...

Phillip Hunt, OLB, Houston... 6-1, 245 pounds, 4.75 second 40... Conference USA's Defensive Player of the Year, he shows pass rush potential...

SIXTH ROUND/SEVENTH ROUND:

DeAndre Levy, OLB, Wisconsin... 6-2, 235 pounds, 4.55 second 40...

Antonio Appleby, ILB, Virginia... 6-4, 245 pounds, 4.7 second 40... well-schooled in an NFL-style 3-4 defense...

Josh Mauga, ILB/OLB, Nevada... 6-2, 245 pounds, 4.65 second 40...

Robert Francois, OLB/ILB, Boston College... 6-2, 245 pounds, 4.6 second 40...

Daniel Holtzclaw, ILB/OLB, Eastern Michigan... 6-1, 245 pounds, 4.7 second 40...

Mike Rivera, OLB/ILB, Kansas... 6-2, 245 pounds, 4.65 second 40...

PRIORITY UNDRAFTED ROOKIE FREE AGENTS:

Dan Skuta, OLB, Grand Valley State... 6-2, 250 pounds, 4.65 second 40... the Boys like him...

Julius Williams, OLB, Connecticut... 6-2, 265 pounds, 4.65 second 40...

Slade Norris, OLB, Oregon State... 6-2, 235 pounds, 4.65 second 40...

Brad Jones, OLB, Colorado... 6-3, 235 pounds, 4.55 second 40...

Dave Philistin, ILB/OLB, Maryland... 6-1, 235 pounds, 4.6 second 40...

Brandon Swain, OLB, West Texas A&M... 6-3, 255 pounds, 4.75 second 40...

Willie Williams, OLB, Union... 6-3, 230 pounds, 4.5 second 40...

Dakota Walker, OLB, Georgia Southern... 6-3, 240 pounds, 4.7 second 40...

Once again, I could make a case for drafting a linebacker in the 4th round range, then another late in the draft... either Jason Williams or Jason Phillips in the 4th, then Phillip Hunt or Antonio Appleby later in the draft... then go out and sign Skuta and Swain for training camp depth...

ILB Spencer Adkins - the U

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2713946 said:

I'm just glad a lot of the fans have quietly dropped him from their mocks. That is telling in itself, considering he was all the rage for a while there.

Follett or Hunt would fit that criteria too.