Linebackers

marchetta

Reaction score
DeMeco Ryans LB Alabama
Strengths
DeMeco is an excellent LB. He could play any one of the LB positions. He has excellent speed and burst along with very good change of direction abilities. He is an every down LB with leadership qualities, intelligence as well as the ability to make the players around him better. DeMeco is a head up, wrap up, squeeze and drive tackler.

Needs to Improve
Nobody is perfect and I guess if you want to pick, you could say that DeMeco needs a little more muscle and bulk. But believe me, that's being picky.

Bottom Line
The only difference I see between A.J. Hawk and DeMeco is size. A.J. can play any one of the LB positions in any defense. If you put DeMeco in the middle and expect him to impact, you'll need some fat boys in front of him to take on the O-lineman so that he can flow to the ball and make plays. Don’t get me wrong -- he does a good job in meeting a block, shedding it and making the tackle. However, we are talking about a 16 to 18 game schedule and I think he would wear down after that many games. DeMeco is very much the same kind of LB as Jonathan Vilma. You want to put players like this in a defense where they cannot be controlled by some big old guards every time they go to make a play. Most of the time, you think of a kid this size as a weakside LB. DeMeco's played that position and has been an impact player for his college team. DeMeco plays with excellent strength and leverage, which makes it easy for me to see him at any one of the LB positions at the next level. This is another player that you don’t worry about where you're going to play him. This is a kid you just draft because no matter what position he plays, he's going to make your team better. Don’t be a putz! Just draft the kid. You'll never be sorry.

- Drew Boylhart (thehuddlereport.com)

marchetta

Reaction score
D’Qwell Jackson LB Maryland
Strengths
D’Qwell is a complete LB who is a head up, wrap up, squeeze and drive tackler. He is all over the field and is another LB coming out that can play all three LB positions. He has a great burst to the ball to go along with excellent change of direction skills. He can meet a block, shed a block and wrap the runner up as well as rush the passer. If you need him to cover a TE, don’t hesitate to ask. D’Qwell has 1st round talent and is one of the best LB’s in this draft.

Needs to Improve
Some people whine about his lack of height and weight, but personally for me, those are excuses used by losers.

Bottom Line
D’Qwell is the reason why I say "Do not fall in love with one player in a draft." He might not be the leader that A J Hawk is or as big, but he is as good and to be honest, he is more ferocious in his play. If you decided to pass on A J Hawk, trade down and draft D’Qwell, I would have to say that you didn't make a mistake -- you just made a good business decision. Right now, because of D’Qwell’s size, he is under the radar; however, I would personally list him as a sleeper in this draft because with his talent and production, he should be one of the first LB’s off the board. He is as talented as Jonathan Vilma who was drafted by the New Jersey Jets in the first round in 2004, but there is a difference and that difference could be what is affecting D’Qwell's ratings. That draft had very little quality LB’s and this draft is full of quality LB’s, but that means nothing to me. D’Qwell has 1st round talent and should be picked in the 1st round. But as you well know by now, that's not necessarily where he will be drafted. So if your team drafts D’Qwell remember, you just got one of the best LB’s in this draft. Just sit back and let D’Qwell take you for the ride of your life. He is something special to watch when he plays.

- Drew Boylhart (thehuddlereport.com)

MiStar

Reaction score
dallasfan said:
Are you basing this on our specific need for an OLB opposite of Ware or just a 3-4 OLB in general? If you're basing it on a 3-4 OLB in general, then you must also believe that there is a big gap between Carpenter and D.Ware as a prospect last year. Because Ware had zero experience as a LB and Lawson actually played LB for 2 years at NC state. Not to mention Lawson's workout #s are slightly better than Ware's and Lawson last 2 years are just as productive on the field as Ware's, not to mention Lawson played in the ACC.

If you are basing this on the type of LB we need opposite of Ware, then I also disagree. Carpenter is a better run defender now, but with Lawson's size (6'5 1/2) he could easily end up around 255, while I believe Carpenter is about as big as he'll get. Lawson also is a much better pass rusher. Carpenter had a good year last year getting like 8 sacks, but he only had 2 the year before. When he gets to the NFL I think he'll be a 4-6 sack guy, while Lawson will be a 9+ guy. The only place Carpenter has an advantage is pass coverege, and this isn't as important for a 3-4 olb, than a 4-3 olb. In passing situations, Lawson and Ware will both be DEs, and James/Ayodele/Burnett would be the LBers.

I never saw Ware play in College, I never really had a strong opinion on him as a prospect. Merriman, however was the prospect that I really liked last year. If we can draw a parallel to Lawson being this year's version of DeMarcus Ware, than the same parallel can be drawn between Carpenter and Merriman, with Merriman being the stronger of the two and Carpenter being a better cover guy. Incidently, Merriman won Defensive Rookie of the Year honors and helped lead SD to the top rush defense in the NFL.

Now I know some people here are slightly blinded by the silver and blue and think that Ware is the best thing since LT, but Ware still has a long way to go before he can be considered one of the top OLBs in the game. Although Ware got better throughout the year, Ware still had lots of trouble playing the OLB. He didn't do a good job of seeing plays develop, struggled getting containment against the run, was very poor when it came to jamming recievers at the line of scrimmage, and didn't show much aptitude for playing in space. So far, his claim to fame is abusing the Panthers' LT. Other than that, he's been rather pedestrian, imo.

Now let's take a look at the league's most prolific 3-4 defenses for the past couple of years: the Steelers and Patriots. These defenses are marked by the versatility of their linebackers. Take a look at guys like Porter, Haggans, McGinnest, and Vrabel. These are guys that excel in all phases of the game, and none have ever been considered pure edge rushers like DeMarcus Ware or Manny Lawson. The best and most successful 3-4 teams have OLBs that can do everything well, like Bobby Carpenter.

I don't mean to spark another Merriman vs. Ware or even a Carpenter vs. Lawson debate, but I will say that One dimensional edge rushers are overrated by the general public, due to the wow factor that comes from watching a Ware or Freeney blow by an offensive lineman with sheer athleticism, on occasion. However, Porter, Haggans, Vrable, and McGinnest may not be nearly as sexy, but these are the guys with superbowl rings.

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
So based on the information that M posted, Demeco Ryans sounds like a fairly good option at LB also. What is his latest weight? I keep reading that he's smallish and needs to bulk up, but isn't he only about 8 lbs lighter than the other guys?

Why are few people talking about Ryans? He sounds like an Al Wilson type to me, in being a football player as opposed to someone who is going to post eye-popping measurables. Wilson's not doing so bad.

dallasfan

Reaction score
MiStar said:
I never saw Ware play in College, I never really had a strong opinion on him as a prospect. Merriman, however was the prospect that I really liked last year. If we can draw a parallel to Lawson being this year's version of DeMarcus Ware, than the same parallel can be drawn between Carpenter and Merriman, with Merriman being the stronger of the two and Carpenter being a better cover guy. Incidently, Merriman won Defensive Rookie of the Year honors and helped lead SD to the top rush defense in the NFL.

Merriman and Carpenter's game is way different. Actually if I would compare Lawson to anybody it would be Merriman. Both played in a major college confrence (not to say Carpenter didn't), both are extremely good pass rushers, and both have some experience at OLB. I have no problem addmitting right now, Lawson is too light and needs to gain about 10lbs, but that really shouldn't be too big of a problem.

MiStar said:
Now I know some people here are slightly blinded by the silver and blue and think that Ware is the best thing since LT, but Ware still has a long way to go before he can be considered one of the top OLBs in the game. Although Ware got better throughout the year, Ware still had lots of trouble playing the OLB. He didn't do a good job of seeing plays develop, struggled getting containment against the run, was very poor when it came to jamming recievers at the line of scrimmage, and didn't show much aptitude for playing in space. So far, his claim to fame is abusing the Panthers' LT. Other than that, he's been rather pedestrian, imo.

I agree 100%, he was way too inconsistent, and disappeared in several consecutive games. But I also believe that Ware was given a bigger role in Dallas than Merriman was given in San Diego. Merriman seemed to just be a DE, kinda the same way Baltimore used Terrell Suggs his rookie year.

MiStar said:
Now let's take a look at the league's most prolific 3-4 defenses for the past couple of years: the Steelers and Patriots. These defenses are marked by the versatility of their linebackers. Take a look at guys like Porter, Haggans, McGinnest, and Vrabel. These are guys that excel in all phases of the game, and none have ever been considered pure edge rushers like DeMarcus Ware or Manny Lawson. The best and most successful 3-4 teams have OLBs that can do everything well, like Bobby Carpenter.

Porter, Haggans, McGinnest and Vrabel were all college DEs. I don't know if any of them had any experience playing OLB for their teams, but all of them were all conference DE's that were too undersized to play DE in the pros. My Point behind this is, Bobby Carpenter doesn't have the pass rushing potential that Manny Lawson has, and I'll admit Lawson doesn't have that potential as a cover guy Carpenter has, but pass rushing is more of a priority than pass covering for the 3-4 OLB.

MiStar said:
I don't mean to spark another Merriman vs. Ware or even a Carpenter vs. Lawson debate, but I will say that One dimensional edge rushers are overrated by the general public, due to the wow factor that comes from watching a Ware or Freeney blow by an offensive lineman with sheer athleticism, on occasion. However, Porter, Haggans, Vrable, and McGinnest may not be nearly as sexy, but these are the guys with superbowl rings.

I knew coming out of college that Merriman was more NFL ready than Ware, but believed that Ware has more upside, this hasn't changed. And I feel the same way about Lawson and Carpenter, but with these two, I think Lawson could become a great 3-4 OLB, and I think Carpenter could be a great 4-3 OLB, but only a good 3-4 OLB.

MiStar

Reaction score
dallasfan, how often did you actually watch Merriman, Ware, Carpenter, and Lawson in college?

I've watched about every OSU game in the past four years. I watched a few NC state games over the years, but I never noticed Lawson when he played LB. Maryland games aren't often televised where I live, but I got to see two of Merriman's games and I've watched all of his publically available highlight tape. I never got a chance to watch Ware in college, but I did see his yahoo highlight tape after draft day last year.

I will reiterate that Carpenter and Merriman have very similar styles of play. Both are very emotional, play with a reckless abandon at times, and have a variety of passrushing moves. Lawson and Ware were/are overreliant on speed at the college level and run around blockers to make plays, lacking the either the ability or the will to overpower blockers.

I also fail to see how you think Merriman and Lawson are incrdible "passrushers" compared to Bobby Carpenter, when Merriman(Junior) and Carpenter(senior) totaled 8 sacks in their last year of college, and Carpenter was rushing the passer far less often than Merriman, not to mention missing the final two games of the season. In addition to that, Carpenter and Merriman had very similar speeds at very similar weights in their final collegiate seasons.

ddh33

Reaction score
If you want a marquee OLB in Dallas, I think there are three guys that are head and shoulders above the rest: Kamerion Wimbley, Manny Lawson, and to a lesser extent Bobby Carpenter.

dallasfan

Reaction score
MiStar said:
dallasfan, how often did you actually watch Merriman, Ware, Carpenter, and Lawson in college?

I've watched about every OSU game in the past four years. I watched a few NC state games over the years, but I never noticed Lawson when he played LB. Maryland games aren't often televised where I live, but I got to see two of Merriman's games and I've watched all of his publically available highlight tape. I never got a chance to watch Ware in college, but I did see his yahoo highlight tape after draft day last year.

Lawson was a LB his first 2 years at NC state, he didn't see the field much outside of special teams, but all I said was he had experience at LB.

MiStar said:
I will reiterate that Carpenter and Merriman have very similar styles of play. Both are very emotional, play with a reckless abandon at times, and have a variety of passrushing moves. Lawson and Ware were/are overreliant on speed at the college level and run around blockers to make plays, lacking the either the ability or the will to overpower blockers.

I also fail to see how you think Merriman and Lawson are incrdible "passrushers" compared to Bobby Carpenter, when Merriman(Junior) and Carpenter(senior) totaled 8 sacks in their last year of college, and Carpenter was rushing the passer far less often than Merriman, not to mention missing the final two games of the season. In addition to that, Carpenter and Merriman had very similar speeds at very similar weights in their final collegiate seasons.

I consider Carpenter and Merriman way different because Carpenter is a LB not a DE. Even when you compare Carpenter and Merriman, Carpenter is a more rounded prospect because he doesn't have any glaring weaknesses. Even Merriman has to become a better cover guy.

But the reason why I consider Merriman and Lawson better passrushers than Carpenter is because of their career #s. Lawson has 20.5 career sacks, Merriman had 22 sacks, and carpenter has 14.5 sacks. Merriman is the only one out of the group to only play 3 years (but Merriman contributed as a freshman while Carpenter and Lawson did not).

As far as workout #s go, remember Merriman weighed in at like 270+ when he did his workout, so it's not reaching to think his #s would've been closer to Lawson's had he not gained 20lbs.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Everyone of you need to take the time out and read this post I put together.
http://dallascowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52075

It explains how the ones that criticize Ware should take a look at the starting 3-4 linebackers in the league compared to Ware. He is right up there with a few of them, and ahead of most of them, and he's a rookie.

I also did an analysis on the true outside linebackers VS. tweeners. You will be shocked to know that there are a few natural defensive ends in the draft, that have better OLB tools, than the natural OLB. They have the hip movement, the agility. accelleration and power to be a prototype OLB in a 3-4.

Now I do agree they just need to learn the position a bit, but that should only take a year. But they can run with the TE and disengage from offensive tackles probably than your traditional OLBrs, (that is the ones that passed the agility tests)

http://dallascowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52075

dallasfan

Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
Everyone of you need to take the time out and read this post I put together.
[Now I do agree they just need to learn the position a bit, but that should only take a year. But they can run with the TE and disengage from offensive tackles probably than your traditional OLBrs, (that is the ones that passed the agility tests)

exactly. Lawson has all the physical tools, minus 10 lbs, to be just as good a 3-4 OLB as anyone currently in the league. All he needs to do is learn the position. Granted Carpenter is more NFL ready having actually been a LB his whole college career, but I just think Lawson has so much upside.

MiStar

Reaction score
If it's all about upside, then I would put Chris Gocong above Manny Lawson.

He's freakishly quick and is already at 260 lbs. In addition to that he scored a 35 on the Wonderlic, which I believe was tops for all the 3-4 OLB prospects. So if anyone has the aptitude to make the transition right away, it's Gocong.

Steeling the stats from Mark Anderson thread and inserting Manny Lawson's times for comparison. Keep in mind that Gocong weighed in at 263, while Lawson weighed in at 241, that is a difference of over 20 lbs.

40-yard dash
Manny Lawson NC State 4.43
Mark Anderson Alabama 4.61
Charles Bennett Clemson 4.70
Chris Gocong Cal. Poly 4.70
Elvis Dumervil Louisville 4.75
Charlton Keith Kansas 4.78
Parys Haralson Tennessee 4.80

Vertical jump
Mark Anderson Alabama 42
Manny Lawson 40½
Ray Edwards Purdue 39
Chris Gocong Cal. Poly 38½
Jason Hatcher Grambling 35½
Manaia Brown BYU 34½
Julian Jenkins Stanford 34½

Broad jump
Mark Anderson Alabama 10-foot-7
Manny Lawson 10-foot-4
Chris Gocong Cal. Poly 10-foot-3
Copeland Bryan Arizona 9-foot-9
Charles Bennett Clemson 9-foot-7
Parys Haralson Tennessee 9-foot-7
Ray Edwards Purdue 9-foot-6

Three-cone
Manny Lawson 6.90
Mark Anderson Alabama 6.95
Charlton Keith Kansas 7.03
Chris Gocong Cal. Poly 7.05
Copeland Bryan Arizona 7.11
Julian Jenkins Stanford 7.11

Short shuttle
Chris Gocong Cal. Poly 4.08
Manny Lawson 4.13
Mark Anderson Alabama 4.22
Julian Jenkins Stanford 4.23
Parys Haralson Tennessee 4.26
Copeland Bryan Arizona 4.30

Long shuttle
Manny Lawson 11.08
Chris Gocong Cal. Poly 11.35
Mark Anderson Alabama 11.75
Copeland Bryan Arizona 11.83
Charlton Keith Kansas 11.98
Charles Bennett Clemson 12.04

ghst187

Reaction score
dallasfan said:
I think Lawson could become a great 3-4 OLB, and I think Carpenter could be a great 4-3 OLB, but only a good 3-4 OLB.

I tend to agree with this assessment.
Lawson's potential has me more than intrigued. I love Carpenter and think he's a safe pick but I think Carpenter needs to play strong or inside to be most effective.
I think Lawson could run down a gazelle from behind.

dallasfan

Reaction score
MiStar said:

He's freakishly quick and is already at 260 lbs. In addition to that he scored a 35 on the Wonderlic, which I believe was tops for all the 3-4 OLB prospects. So if anyone has the aptitude to make the transition right away, it's Gocong.

Steeling the stats from Mark Anderson thread and inserting Manny Lawson's times for comparison. Keep in mind that Gocong weighed in at 263, while Lawson weighed in at 241, that is a difference of over 20 lbs.

Gocong played at a division I-AA school. DeMarcus Ware may have been in a small school, but atleast it was I-A. I'm pretty sure Gocong will be a decent player, but I wouldn't mention him with Lawson or Carpenter.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
MiStar said:

Steeling the stats from Mark Anderson thread and inserting Manny Lawson's times for comparison. Keep in mind that Gocong weighed in at 263, while Lawson weighed in at 241, that is a difference of over 20 lbs. BTW, I have Gocong at 42' in the verticle leap, from a members draft website.

40-yard dash
Manny Lawson NC State 4.43
Mark Anderson Alabama 4.61
Charles Bennett Clemson 4.70
Chris Gocong Cal. Poly 4.70
Elvis Dumervil Louisville 4.75
Charlton Keith Kansas 4.78
Parys Haralson Tennessee 4.80

Vertical jump
Mark Anderson Alabama 42
Manny Lawson 40½
Ray Edwards Purdue 39
Chris Gocong Cal. Poly 38½
Jason Hatcher Grambling 35½
Manaia Brown BYU 34½
Julian Jenkins Stanford 34½

Broad jump
Mark Anderson Alabama 10-foot-7
Manny Lawson 10-foot-4
Chris Gocong Cal. Poly 10-foot-3
Copeland Bryan Arizona 9-foot-9
Charles Bennett Clemson 9-foot-7
Parys Haralson Tennessee 9-foot-7
Ray Edwards Purdue 9-foot-6

Three-cone
Manny Lawson 6.90
Mark Anderson Alabama 6.95
Charlton Keith Kansas 7.03
Chris Gocong Cal. Poly 7.05
Copeland Bryan Arizona 7.11
Julian Jenkins Stanford 7.11

Short shuttle
Chris Gocong Cal. Poly 4.08
Manny Lawson 4.13
Mark Anderson Alabama 4.22
Julian Jenkins Stanford 4.23
Parys Haralson Tennessee 4.26
Copeland Bryan Arizona 4.30

Long shuttle
Manny Lawson 11.08
Chris Gocong Cal. Poly 11.35
Mark Anderson Alabama 11.75
Copeland Bryan Arizona 11.83
Charlton Keith Kansas 11.98
Charles Bennett Clemson 12.04
My friend you are a genius. Chris Gocong is absolutely the steal of the draft. This cat is STRONG, quick, fast and he's got all of the tools to dominate in this league.

It would not hurt me one bit if the boys decided to go Oline in the 1st, and FS in the second, and then pick up C.Gocong in the Third. That would be an awesome draft. Now we're having fun.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
ghst187 said:
I tend to agree with this assessment.
Lawson's potential has me more than intrigued. I love Carpenter and think he's a safe pick but I think Carpenter needs to play strong or inside to be most effective.
I think Lawson could run down a gazelle from behind.
I kept telling people that we should draft Carp and Law and play Law outside and Carp inside, and I was frowned upon.

MiStar

Reaction score
I don't think that GoCong will last until the third round. The ONLY knock against him is that he didn't play Div I-a, yet he absolutely dominated at his level with close to 40 sacks in a two year period. I would say that he has far and away the most upside of any 3-4 LB prospect in the draft, bar none.

Even without watching any film on him, I would consider taking him in the first round, If I were a GM. There is NO way he makes it to our third round pick.