Lionel Messi hands in Barcelona transfer request: Where could he go next?

joseephuss

Reaction score
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/53913907

By Andy West

Author of 'Lionel Messi and the Art of Living'

Who wants to sign Lionel Messi?

Any club in the world, surely, would jump at the opportunity to recruit the Argentine superstar.

But his situation is complicated, and realistically only a small number of candidates have a chance of securing his signature.

Let's examine Messi's options.

Messi has been a keen follower of English football for many years, and has a strong knowledge of the Premier League if only because two of his closest friends - Sergio Aguero and Cesc Fabregas - have spent so long in England.

There's certainly a huge amount of logic to the idea that he will join Manchester City. Firstly for Pep Guardiola, of course, but also for the key backroom staff of Ferran Soriano and Txiki Begiristain, who were also previously alongside him at Barcelona.

The fact City are one of the few teams capable of meeting his wage expectations also helps, and on a football level Messi knows Guardiola would develop a team framework which allows him to excel - something he has been missing at Barcelona for the past few years.

According to reports in Spain, though, City might face serious competition from nearby, with national television network Cuatro claiming on Tuesday afternoon that Manchester United are making a serious attempt to lure the Argentine.

Some supporters may scoff at that notion considering United's recent reputation for blundering in the transfer market, but consider this: in March, American football team Tampa Bay Buccaneers made major headlines by signing veteran quarterback Tom Brady, one of the greatest players in the sport's history.

Tampa's owners? The Glazer family. When they go big, they go really big.

Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal may also fancy the idea of launching an audacious bid, and cultural concerns that Messi's family would struggle to adapt to life in England are lessened by the fact his children already attend a British school on the outskirts of Barcelona.

John813

Reaction score
Never thought I see this day to be honest.

Barca President is offering to leave if Messi would stay but I feel like it's an empty gesture as he knows LM wants out at all cost.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Never thought I see this day to be honest.

Barca President is offering to leave if Messi would stay but I feel like it's an empty gesture as he knows LM wants out at all cost.
This was pretty much determined when the Spanish gov't was fighting him over taxes.
I knew he'd want to retire elsewhere.

Bigdog

Reaction score
Come to the US and become a citizen. Then find some loop hole ( I think you can transfer countries one time) and play for the US to help them win a WC. One can dream you know

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Feels now like it is headed to court which sucks.
Barca should take the best deal they can get and move on.

Messi is only under contract for 1 year and they can get very solid offers.
Forcing a disgruntled season or lay out doesn't help them at all.

Londonboy

Reaction score
Did Ronaldo even play in half the games last season? I'm guessing he did, but it felt like there was always news stories saying he's not playing next game etc.
He's at an age where He picks His spots a bit more, but He can still play.

csirl

Reaction score
He's getting old. Someone going to over pay for declining talent.

Pompey-Cowboy

Reaction score
I'd be very surprised if he wasn't still a Barca player next season. Storm in a tea cup stuff.

StylisticS

Reaction score
I'd be very surprised if he wasn't still a Barca player next season. Storm in a tea cup stuff.
Same here. The only places I can see him going outside of Barca is City and PSG. But I don't see him out of Barca.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
But he's going to be totally free next season.
That means he can realistically go to anywhere he likes.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/53913907

By Andy West

Author of 'Lionel Messi and the Art of Living'

Who wants to sign Lionel Messi?

Any club in the world, surely, would jump at the opportunity to recruit the Argentine superstar.

But his situation is complicated, and realistically only a small number of candidates have a chance of securing his signature.

Let's examine Messi's options.

Messi has been a keen follower of English football for many years, and has a strong knowledge of the Premier League if only because two of his closest friends - Sergio Aguero and Cesc Fabregas - have spent so long in England.

There's certainly a huge amount of logic to the idea that he will join Manchester City. Firstly for Pep Guardiola, of course, but also for the key backroom staff of Ferran Soriano and Txiki Begiristain, who were also previously alongside him at Barcelona.

The fact City are one of the few teams capable of meeting his wage expectations also helps, and on a football level Messi knows Guardiola would develop a team framework which allows him to excel - something he has been missing at Barcelona for the past few years.

According to reports in Spain, though, City might face serious competition from nearby, with national television network Cuatro claiming on Tuesday afternoon that Manchester United are making a serious attempt to lure the Argentine.

Some supporters may scoff at that notion considering United's recent reputation for blundering in the transfer market, but consider this: in March, American football team Tampa Bay Buccaneers made major headlines by signing veteran quarterback Tom Brady, one of the greatest players in the sport's history.

Tampa's owners? The Glazer family. When they go big, they go really big.

Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal may also fancy the idea of launching an audacious bid, and cultural concerns that Messi's family would struggle to adapt to life in England are lessened by the fact his children already attend a British school on the outskirts of Barcelona.
Austin FC :laugh:

Flamma

Reaction score
Come to the US and become a citizen. Then find some loop hole ( I think you can transfer countries one time) and play for the US to help them win a WC. One can dream you know

Unfortunately it's going to take more than one has been to propel the US. team to a World Cup. His days of having an impact in a World Cup are over as he'll be 35 the next time one rolls around. But if he comes to the MLS he'll be a star!