Lions OC Ben Johnson turning down HC jobs to stay with Lions

Jayinem

Reaction score
DETROIT -- A couple of days after the Detroit Lions lost in the NFC Championship Game, a key member of the team's coaching staff has decided to stay put.

Ben Johnson is opting to remain with the Lions as their offensive coordinator rather than pursue the head-coaching vacancies with the Washington Commanders and the Seattle Seahawks, sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Sources told Schefter that some teams balked at Johnson's asking price to be a head coach.

Commanders officials were en route to Detroit for a meeting with Johnson and Lions defensive coordinator Aaron Glenn when they got word that Johnson was staying with the Lions, sources told Schefter. While the abrupt pivot by Johnson was considered "surprising" by several league sources, he was not considered a lock for the Washington job, despite his strong reputation as a coordinator and a loyal coach, the sources said. The Commanders' leadership team remains eager to meet with the respected Glenn, who is one of several candidates the team is expected to consider for its head-coach vacancy, the sources said.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39422427/sources-ben-johnson-nixes-head-coach-jobs-stay-lions

I wonder how many times in history someone has turned down a Head Coaching job to stay with the Detroit Lions?

DZSierra

Reaction score
I wonder how many times in history someone has turned down a Head Coaching job to stay with the Detroit Lions?
Well, with as many here who felt that the head coach of the lions should be fired for last weeks second half collapse, perhaps he figures he can move up by staying put? ;)

Although I don't know what I'm talking about, perhaps he feels like what they are building is enough reason to see what happens next year by staying put.