Listen To The Cowboys Coach

cowboyed

Reaction score
rcaldw;2366075 said:
Sorry friend, I was ahead of the curve on Wade Phillips, never was for him. I was actually for Norv Turner, and while I expect that will get me some laughs :), I still think he would have been a better choice. I still believe that at least Norv TRIES to run a disciplined team, I don't even know if Phillips attempts such a thing. And in terms of last season, I thought then, just as I do now, that the regular season is only a means to an end. The goal, ESPECIALLY for the Dallas Cowboys, should be the Super Bowl, period. I'm so tired of dumb downed expectations when there was a day that winning was EXPECTED in Dallas. Where did those days go?

Fair enough about you not being enamored with Wade but my point is you can readily substitute any coaching staff and when things are rolling head coach x always gets total credit and when there are problems it must be Jerry undermining.

Regardless of your opinion, I apologize for getting testy in the previous email. I do believe that Jerry Jones gets an unfair and stereotypical bad rap. But you obviously took the high road in your current reply to me and I greatly respect you for it.

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
rcaldw;2365660 said:
If you listen closely to how Jerry talks about how the Cowboys perform, he often times discusses it like a coach would instead of an owner or GM.

An owner or GM puts the pieces together for the coaches, and from that point on is pretty much a spectator. He is not in charge of game strategy. He is not in charge of getting players fired up, or ripping their rear ends when they do poorly. THAT IS THE JOB OF COACHES. If you don't need SOMEONE ELSE to handle game strategy and players then YOU DON'T NEED TO HIRE COACHES.

Well, Jerry, just as he promised, is involved even down to the socks and jocks. He does it all. He gives post game chew outs to the players. He stands on the sidelines at crucial moments and fires up the players.

And, apparently, he takes personal responsibility for underestimating an opponent when they kick our rear ends.

He doesn't say that the coaches and players may have overlooked our last opponent. HE OVERLOOKED THEM, AND HE SHOULDN'T HAVE. HE THOUGHT WE COULD GRIND IT OUT AGAINST THEM.

I just see (and maybe I'm reading too much into things, but I really don't think so) that Jerry Jones undermines his coaches and really makes it impossible to respect them for what they have to do, because he wants himself constantly seen as the ultimate reason for their success or failure.

I manage people myself, and I have people under me who manage people. If I constantly have the people who are managed by my managers feel that they can bypass my managers and come to me, or if I constantly bypass my managers to deal with their people, pretty soon the whole thing bogs down because my managers don't have any real and meaningful role. I'M THE GUY.

That might make me feel good, but it sure doesn't make the organization better.

Is this some sort of revelation to you now?

This is Jerry, this has always been Jerry and this will always be Jerry.

He talked like that when Jimmy was here, when Parcells was here and when Garrett is installed as the next head coach.

rcaldw

Reaction score
dcfanatic;2366619 said:

He talked like that when Jimmy was here, when Parcells was here and when Garrett is installed as the next head coach.

Of course it isn't revelatory, but IT IS BACK in a greater degree again. As I said in an earlier post, if you think that Jerry ran over Jimmy and Parcells the way that he has the PUPPETS he has hired then you aren't paying attention.

Is it going to take more monumental losing before Jerry figures out he needs to KEEP a real head coach in place? You don't replace a Jimmy Johnson with Bozo the Clown. You don't replace a Bill Parcells with Aw-Shucks. When will the man ever learn?

rcaldw

Reaction score
cowboyed;2366607 said:
Fair enough about you not being enamored with Wade but my point is you can readily substitute any coaching staff and when things are rolling head coach x always gets total credit and when there are problems it must be Jerry undermining.

Regardless of your opinion, I apologize for getting testy in the previous email. I do believe that Jerry Jones gets an unfair and stereotypical bad rap. But you obviously took the high road in your current reply to me and I greatly respect you for it.

No problem on getting testy, and I appreciate the kind words.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
The one thing that will save this from being an "Al Davis" situation, is that Jerry has to put butts in the new stadium.

If the Cowboys are suck come next year, Jerry will be forced to move out of the way to get a guy who can take control just as he did with Parcells.

The way to get Jerry to change his ways is for his team to lose, and not only lose, but for him to lose money.

Jerry Jones understands money if he understands nothing else.

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
tyke1doe;2366934 said:
The one thing that will save this from being an "Al Davis" situation, is that Jerry has to put butts in the new stadium.

If the Cowboys are suck come next year, Jerry will be forced to move out of the way to get a guy who can take control just as he did with Parcells.

The way to get Jerry to change his ways is for his team to lose, and not only lose, but for him to lose money.

That is what happened when he finally relented about brought in Parcells. The only problem is that once he does step back, it's only for so long. When the team starts winning again he suddenly thinks he's "learned" and he takes over again.

Jerry didn't really interject himself initially until he got jealous of Jimmy's success. Then after years of him running it his way and losing and hiting rock bottom he relented and brought BP in here. BP wasn't a total success, but he did get us turned around and back in the playoffs. But when he left, Jerry once again become large and in charge again.

I'm sure if it gets bad enough again he'll relent once more and try to bring a big time coach in here to turn it around. But I also guarantee that in time, Jerry will once again get his ego bruised and want to take over and be the face of the team again.

He just can't help himself. With him it's more about Jerry than it is about the team and it's sickening.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
dcfanatic;2366619 said:

Actually he didn't talk like this when Parcells was here. He wasn't allowed to. Hence the back of the room stuff asking questions with hands raised.

There is a point here. Jerry needs to be told to be quiet. Now whether that has any bearing on the play on the field is a totally different matter.

rcaldw

Reaction score
tyke1doe;2366934 said:

I agree Tyke.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Watch the Rams make a run...:lmao2:

Seriously didn't they bench Bulger earlier and now he's starting again?:confused::confused::confused: