Live from the Alamadome XI?

21Savage

newnationcb
Reaction score
Can someone please post the daily practice report for today? I'm a work and can't get on the DMN blog :mad:

landryscorner

Reaction score
newnationcb;2867252 said:
Can someone please post the daily practice report for today? I'm a work and can't get on the DMN blog :mad:

I'm getting ready to post pics and videos I was there all afternoon, busy at home now just got back from downtown will post asap, can someone tell me how to post videos on here thanks

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Live from the Alamodome XI (08/04/2009)
1:29 Which second-year cornerback do you want to win the starting job?
Mike Jenkins ( 43% )
Orlando Scandrick ( 57% )

1:30 Who will lead the Cowboys in rushing yards?
Marion Barber ( 50% )
Felix Jones ( 44% )
Tashard Choice ( 6% )

1:34 Who will lead the Cowboys in touchdown catches?
Roy Williams ( 30% )
Jason Witten ( 46% )
Martellus Bennett ( 18% )
Patrick Crayton ( 2% )
Miles Austin ( 3% )
Other ( 1% )

1:34 toddarcher: Jerry Jones hasn't changed his mind about chemistry: This Cowboys training camp doesn't have nearly as much dram..

1:34 toddarcher: Premature 53-man roster projection: Here's my educated guess at the roster after final cuts next month, based on..

1:34 toddarcher: Who will return punts?: Four players have been returning punts in this camp: Felix Jones, Patrick Crayton, Teren..

1:44 Tim MacMahon: Well, I reckon I ought to explain the three previous items. I've hooked it up so Todd Archer's tweets will go right up in the chat, so he can provide info from his spot on the sideline right to our readers instead of texting me injury reports, celebrity sightings, etc. Archer is a serious note-taker during live action, so he might leave that part of live practice coverage to me, but he always posts his observations afterward.

His Twitter feed is automatically set up to spit out links to posts from the blog every 30 minutes, so that's what happened there.

As you can see, you can follow him @toddarcher. You can follow me @tmacmahon.

While we're sort of in self-promotional mode, this seems like a good time to mention that I'll pop on ESPN 103.3's Galloway and Co. at 5:40 to discuss Cowboys camp. You can hear that on espn1033.com.

1:47[Comment From Bill In DC]
So in your post below about the 53 you have Williams, Austin, Crayton -- does that mean you see Austin winning the #2 spot.

1:50 Tim MacMahon: Not necessarily. I think that's a possibility, but it wasn't my intention to put those guys in any particular order.

Right now, Patrick Crayton is getting all the reps as the No. 2 guy. However, Miles Austin and Sam Hurd get plenty of reps with Tony Romo in two-WR sets. All the roster-lock WRs other than Roy Williams have clicked with Romo, but Austin brings a speed dimension that the other guys don't. That's why he'd be the No. 2 WR if I was in charge (and, of course, he stayed healthy), but Wade Phillips and Jason Garrett have yet to ask for my opinion on the issue.

1:51 [Comment From Jrock]
I recently read that our 3rd round pick Willams has looks lost at times. Does that mean Carpenter is a lock for the nickel linebacker spot?

1:53
Tim MacMahon: I made the mistake of mentioning that to Keith Brooking the other day. As I posted yesterday, he certainly isn't conceding anything.

But, yes, it's clearly Carpenter's job right now. Williams' head is spinning, so it'll be a while until he's ready to contribute in any role outside of special teams. Stephen Hodge, a safety at TCU, has potential in the nickel/dime LB role but missed a ton of OTA, minicamp and training camp reps due to calf and knee injuries. He practiced for the first time during camp yesterday and acknowledged that he was rusty and lost at times.

1:55
[Comment From David]
How fast is Kevin Ogletree?

1:57
Tim MacMahon: His official time from the combine was 4.46. To put that in perspective, it ranked 11th among WRs at the combine and was .02 faster than Philadelphia first-rounder Jeremy Maclin.

Ogletree certainly doesn't have Maclin's rep as a playmaker, though. Maclin has done most of his damage in camp on short and intermediate reps, but he did burn Mike Mickens for a long TD on a post route in 7-on-7 the other day.

[Comment From Shon]
Will Garrett figure out how to use Jones, Bennett & Witten at the same time? I would think at least one would be single covered by a Linebacker.

2:00
Tim MacMahon: That will certainly be interesting to see how it develops. You would think that Witten would get most of the attention from safeties, since he is by far the most proven play of the three. But Jones and Bennett have more big-play potential. That trio gives Cowboys fans good reason to be optimistic about the offense this season.

I will say, though, that Jones hasn't done anything noteworthy as a receiver during camp in a non-RB role. In other words, he looks good catching passes in the flat or dump-offs over the middle and making guys miss, but he hasn't caught many (or any that I recall off the top of my head) passes after running WR routes out of the slot or split wide.

[Comment From Keal in Green]
Right this very second, who starts, Orlando or Jenkins?

2:01
Tim MacMahon: Right this very second, it's too close to call. That's good news, since both guys are performing well. This isn't a case where a guy will be given a job because his competition isn't good enough.

2:02
[Comment From NF]
Will you PLEASE stop saying coachable WR now? Its really a ridiculous thing to hound #11 with and for no reason.

2:03
Tim MacMahon: I promised to drop the coachable wide receiver reference if he didn't use it to describe himself for the first week of camp. Today is the last day.

Can anybody think of a good question to bait him into using it?

(Just kidding. Don't get your blue-starred boxers in a bunch.)

[Comment From Bill Layne]
If the Cowboys intend to run the ball more, then the line will have to perform better this year. Last year they were up and down in the running game. Great block one play, tackle in the backfield the next. How has the O-line looked as a unit so far?

2:04
Tim MacMahon: The starting offensive lines looks solid, especially in the run game. But there could be some serious problems if there are any injuries.

2:05
[Comment From MARIO sTRICKLAND]
Nobody is discussing the 4th and 5th corner position. Please chime in.

2:08
Tim MacMahon: As you can see in the 53-man roster projection posted below on the blog, I've only got four cornerbacks making the team right now, and one of those is Alan Ball, who plays a lot of free safety. That's in part because rookie FS DeAngelo Smith played primarily corner in college and is getting reps there.

Courtney Brown's strong off-season hasn't carried over early in camp. He's been so-so. Mike Mickens has made some plays, including two picks, on short routes but has been the most frequent burn victim on vertical routes. His lack of NFL-caliber CB speed has been exposed. Not sure if his knee, which caused his draft stock to plummet, is still bothering him. He still has a legit shot to make the roster, but he looks like practice squad material after 10 practices.

Ball worked as the second slot guy in the dime package.

[Comment From Dan]
How would you currently rank all receivers on the 80 man roster?

2:11
Tim MacMahon: Roy Williams is the No. 1 WR no matter what happens during camp. Patrick Crayton, Miles Austin and Sam Hurd have all performed well here and are in that order on the depth chart right now.

It gets bunched up after that. The fifth WR competition looks like this in my eyes:

Kevin Ogletree
Mike Jefferson
Willie Reid
Isaiah Stanback, who sat out the last couple of days with a sore hamstring.
Manny Johnson

Jesse Holley and Julian Hawkins round out the group. And I vow that this is the last time I'll mention the Fourth and Long winner's name today unless he does something on the field to merit discussion.

[Comment From justin]
Has garrett split bennett out on some of these two tight end formations? I would think he could create mismatches on linebackers.

2:12
Tim MacMahon: Bennett and Witten both move all over the field in the various two-tight end looks. That's one reason that personnel package is so intriguing. They can basically line up in any formation out of it.

[Comment From justin]
have you seen any improvement by Doug Free at Tackle with more reps

2:13
Tim MacMahon: Doug Free hasn't looked terrible. That's an improvement from last summer.

Once again, though, I'll say that if they had much confidence in Free, Leonard Davis wouldn't be getting LT reps.

[Comment From Will]
I really dont think they will let Mike Mickens hit the practice squad for fearing someone will pick him up. He was a stud before his injury and a lot of teams will see that. Plus he has made some plays (but yes gave up big plays as well). Also Stanback will make the team, Ogletree will prob be picked up by someone else. What u think (other than ur 53 projection)?

2:15
Tim MacMahon: Every team passed on Mickens many times in the draft. The reason for that was a lack of speed and explosiveness, in part because of the knee injury. A lack of speed and explosiveness have been a problem for him so far in camp.

If Mickens plays well in the preseason games, he'll make the team. If he doesn't, I think the Cowboys can slip him through waivers to their practice squad.

[Comment From Jrock]
I get the feeling that Scandrick and Jenkins will stay neck and neck throughout camp, and Jenkins will take the "starting" corner spot, but do you think that will change on a game by game basis. Say for instance, Scandrick may matchup with a particular wideout better than Jenkins, thus giving him a start here or there ?

2:17
Tim MacMahon: No. I think they'll pick one guy and stick with him as the starter unless he struggles. Matter of fact, Dave Campo told me as much, except he didn't mention the possibility of the guy they pick struggling.

Of course, there's a decent shot they'll both start at some point, considering Terence Newman's recent injury history.

2:19
Tim MacMahon: As far as Scandrick in the slot, he'll fill that role in the nickel and dime whether he starts or not. He has a chip on his shoulder (roughly the size of his body weight) to prove that he can play outside, too.

[Comment From scott]
You mentioned a day or two ago that Holley could make the practice squad. If he does, do you think he can devolp enough to make the 53 man roster one day?

2:20
Tim MacMahon: Dang it. You made me break my vow not to mention Holley again!!

It's not out of the realm of possibility for him to develop into an NFL WR. He has good size and doesn't look out of place athletically.

[Comment From lifefan]
Can Roy cut and plant hard yet?

2:21
Tim MacMahon: His foot isn't bothering him any more, if that's what you're asking. But he's still a long strider who isn't especially explosive out of his cuts, especially on double moves. "Sega routes," my buddy/offical GAC scout Bryan Broaddus calls them, because Williams looks stiff, like he's being controlled by a 20th century joystick.

2:22
[Comment From Don]
Hi Tim - thanks again for doing this. My main problem with the Cowboys the last two seasons has been a remarked lack of physical toughness/aggressive play. There's no team in the NFL that fears the Cowboys coming to town, unlike the black-and-blue reputation of teams like the Steelers and the Ravens. Any clue yet this year if this team is going to be different? Whether they will be able to play some smash mouth football with a saltier attitude, as opposed to, let's say, lying down and quitting in the last week and losing 44-6?

Tim MacMahon: I certainly understand your concern, but that's the type of thing that's impossible to tell during training camp, especially with no questions.

We won't get the answer to that question until the regular season ... perhaps as late as December.

2:23
[Comment From Mel Franklin]
Hey guys. Just stepped in and wonder how Romo is looking? I've heard he's struggling with his accuracy. Clear it up, please.

Tim MacMahon: Romo struggled with his accuracy on the first day. He's been sharp since then.

[Comment From Jrock]
How does Spencer look in camp? With Ellis gone, we really need him to step up.

2:24
Tim MacMahon: Anthony Spencer looks like an above-average starting OLB. He's a force against the run and has had his pass-rushing moments. If Spencer stays healthy, I don't think Ellis will be missed.

[Comment From Guest]
If Romo went down with an injury today (hope not), who would Jerry Jones be more likely to call first: vick or Favre?

2:25
Tim MacMahon: Neither. They're comfortable with Jon Kitna.

Now, Favre or Vick might call Jerry ...

[Comment From David]
Just ask him how coachable he is!

Tim MacMahon: That'd be a violation of the spirit of the compromise.

[Comment From Nick from Germany]
Please keep using the coachable wide receiver moniker!!!! It is the truth!

2:26
Tim MacMahon: The term doesn't seem to be quite as popular with my Texas readers as it is with the fine folks in Europe.

[Comment From J]
I love Ogletree, I think the only player in his way is Stanback. When is Stanback supposed to resume practice?

2:27
Tim MacMahon: He's an official maybe today, but I don't see him out there. They're working on kick return, and he'd be back there with the returners, you'd think.

[Comment From Matt G]
How has Anthony Spencer looked? If he gets injured who will back him up at this point?

2:28
toddarcher: Live from the Alamodome XI: After a refreshing morning off, the Cowboys hit the Alamodome turf at 2:15 p.m. Fir.. http://************/ltgh4m

Tim MacMahon: See above for the quickie Spencer report. It's to be determined which fourth-rounder will be the third guy in the OLB rotation, but the coaches are pleased with the progress of Victor Butler and Brandon Williams.

Tim, I forgot, are practices free? I'll be there next Wednesday. Will they be practicing then? What hotel do the Cowboys stay in? If you're staying at the "Menger" hotel, I'd love to buy you a brewsky.

2:29
Tim MacMahon: You picked a bad day to come to San Antonio. The Cowboys will have a walkthrough that morning, then head to the Bay Area. I'll be in the Bay Area for the preseason games vs. Raiders.

Gotta go downstairs for PR announcement.

2:38
toddarcher: Bum Phillips is at practice. Camera crew riding with him.

2:43
Tim MacMahon: OK, I'm back. That announcement was what I expected.

The Cowboys asked us to refrain to from reporting specifics about trick plays and unique formations.

In possibly related news, Wade Phillips said the other day that the Cowboys would work on their Razorback formation soon.

We'll respect the Cowboys' wishes and not report specifics, so I might have to be vague during certain points in practice.

2:44
[Comment From Jayson W]
With Hamlin and Sensabaugh at the saftey positions, do you expect to see the defense blitz more and try and cause more turnovers?

2:45
Tim MacMahon: It has more to do with the addition of Sensabaugh than Hamlin. They now have a strong safety that they're not scared to death to put in man coverage against tight ends.

But, yes, that along with improved man coverage at the corners thanks to Mike Jenkins and Orlando Scandrick frees up Wade Phillips to call more blitzes. But he won't get blitz-happy just for the sake of doing so. If DeMarcus Ware and Co. are getting to the QB without extra help, why send extra guys?

[Comment From Phillip in Memphis]
Who was or will be a better value from last's year draft? Bennett in the 3rd round or Scandrick in the 5th?

2:47
Tim MacMahon: Well, Bennett was a second-rounder. Tashard Choice in the fourth could end up being part of that conversation a few years down the road, but it's a great debate.

I'd go with Scandrick. You expect second-rounders to be starters/significant contributors. That isn't the case with fifth-rounders.

2:50
[Comment From eattrn]
Has the Stanback experiment not finally run its course?

2:51
Tim MacMahon: I'd list that as probable. And that's likely to be the listing on the injury report for him over the next week or so.

[Comment From Tom]
Will Jerry Jones trade Pat Watkins or another player before the final cuts while they have value. Maybe for an OL or late round pick.

2:52
Tim MacMahon: If the Cowboys could get something of value for Watkins, I don't think they'd hesitate to do so. But that's a big if.

[Comment From Gator]
Do you agree that Carpenter will solify the linebackin core?

2:53
Tim MacMahon: Hmmmm ... I think Carpenter will solid in the nickel and dime role. As far as solidifying the LB corps, I'd still be very concerned if he had to start, although he's been much more physical and played well against the run this camp.

[Comment From Tom]
Who takes over if Columbo is out in a game? Kosier could move to RT in a jiffy.

2:54
Tim MacMahon: Great question. And I'm not sure the Cowboys know the answer. From what I've seen, Pat McQuistan ain't it.

My hunch is that Leonard Davis would bump over a spot with Montrae Holland filling in at right guard.

[Comment From JM]
Why do you list Ball as your 4th corner when he's currently playing safety? Do you really think the team would take only 3 true corners into the season?

2:55
Tim MacMahon: Because Ball is still getting CB reps and was the fourth corner with the first-team dime package.

[Comment From Matt Mcbriar]
I'm booting 70+ yard punts and you don't think I can hit a giant big screen? Please! Oh and will I be the best punter in the leauge this year?

2:57
Tim MacMahon: Mat, your first name is spelled with only one t. And the B is capitalized in your last name.

Did I ever say that there was no way a punt would hit the JerryTron? No. I just said that the Cowboys have tested the height of McBriar's punts and don't expect it to happen.

And, yes, you could be the best punter in the league. Shane Lechler has that title now, and thanks to Al Davis, gets paid four times as much as you.

[Comment From Tom]
Are Romo and Witten aware of Brandon Jacobs and Chris Cooley's offseason banter. Any responses?

2:58
Tim MacMahon: Haven't asked Romo about Jacobs, but I doubt he's anything more than mildly miffed and/or amused.

Go the the categories on the side of the blog and click on Jason Witten, scroll down a bit and read between the lines to figure out that he's pretty annoyed by Cooley's mocking videos.

2:59
[Comment From Shon]
Can you list a premature practice squad?

Tim MacMahon: I'll do that on next week's edition of the premature 53-man roster projection.

[Comment From Landrys Hat]
How is Procter still on this squad? Surely his ability to suck at multiple OL positions is vastly overrated (As evidenced by his play last year). There has to be a Free-Agent OL out there somewhere who could do a passable job as a backup.

3:02
Tim MacMahon: He's still on the squad because, as of right now, he's the second-best center. Ryan Gibbons is working to change the coaches' opinions on that.

Hate to break it to you, but there are a lot of backup offensive linemen in the league that you'd think sucked if they had to start an entire season.

[Comment From ROFL]
Im planning on attending Cowboys practice on Saturday. Any thoughts on a good place to sit?

3:04
Tim MacMahon: If you want autographs and can't get a VIP pass to stand behind the fences on the sideline, the best places to sit are overlooking the tunnel the players come through (tie your items to a string/rope and lower them to the players) and in the first row behind the end zone.

The nice thing about the Alamodome from a fan's perspective is that all the seats have good sightlines.

[Comment From Wade Phillips]
If last year was camp cupcake, what is this years camp called?

3:07
Tim MacMahon: I've never used that clever alliterative nickname, because I don't think it's accurate. The no-tackling policy is pretty common around the NFL -- the Eagles tackle, and it cost them a starting linebacker -- and the schedule is more demanding than it was under Parcells.

As far as Jerry Jones is concerned, this is the Built Ford Tough Dallas Cowboys Training Camp. Gotta get the sponsor name in there.

That reminds me ... there's a hilarious AP photo from the kickoff press conference that I'll post later.

3:08
[Comment From Shon]
Forgetting about positions and formations, who are the best 11 defensive players? Would it be possible to put them on the field at the same time?

3:12
Tim MacMahon: I've never really looked at it that way, but that's an interesting question. Thinking out loud ...

DeMarcus Ware
Jay Ratliff
Terence Newman
Anthony Spencer
Orlando Scandrick
Mike Jenkins
Bradie James
Ken Hamlin
Gerald Sensabaugh
Marcus Spears
Keith Brooking

Don't think you'd ever see that package together, because Brooking and Spears come off the field in the nickel/dime stuff.

[Comment From Big D in VA]
UVa runs a pro-like scheme on offense and alot of two TE sets. ANy of that attributable to Ogletree's "success" or is he just proving he may be a playmaker.

3:13
Tim MacMahon: It's possible that his experience in a pro-style scheme is helping him. He certainly doesn't look confused out there. But he's just done a nice job getting open and hasn't dropped any balls that I've seen.

[Comment From Captain Awesome]
What's your opinion on the '08 draft class? I remember not being especially impressed with them right after the draft, being slightly impressed with them after the season and now, when I think about how they're setting up to contribute this year, I'll admit my eyebrow is raised and I catch myself wondering if this is really one of our more solid classes.

3:15
Tim MacMahon: It has a chance to be a great class. You can make the case that Tashard Choice (fourth) and Orlando Scandrick (fifth) were the best picks in their respective rounds. Felix Jones, Mike Jenkins and Martellus Bennett are all living up to their draft billing in camp. And Scandrick might be a better player than Jenkins -- that was certainly true during their rookie seasons.

[Comment From Dennis]
Isn't anyone concerned about the OLB position if Ware (Heaven Forbid!) or Spencer go down to injury? Don't they only have two rookies as backups?

3:17
Tim MacMahon: Yeah, but every team in the league is concerned about their OLBs if both starters go down.

That was my concern when Greg Ellis got released. I didn't know if the rookies would be ready to contribute right away. Brandon Williams in particular looks prepared to start if need be, because he's been impressive against the run and as a pass rusher.

[Comment From robert from nc]
Has the O-line been working on picking up stunts and delays because it seems that since Sparano left they have really been getting burned by those?

3:18
Tim MacMahon: They did some 2-on-2 pass-rush drills the other day, and they've gotten a lot of work in blitz pickup during team drills. But I'd agree they had some major problems there last season, especially down the stretch.

[Comment From KFFL]
With Demarucs Ware on one side and Anthony Spencer on the other..........do you think we have our own version of the "New York Sack Exchange"?

3:19
Tim MacMahon: Whoa, buddy. Let's wait until Spencer has at least five career sacks before making him part of one of the greatest pass-rushing tandems of all-time.

[Comment From Shon]
Do you sense any bias towards Holley due to how he made it on to the training camp roster?

3:21
Tim MacMahon: There I go again breaking my vow not to discuss Jesse Holley unless he did something noteworthy on the field.

I haven't noticed any animosity from the players toward him. But he sure does seem to be soaking up his newfound celebrity. He played to the crowd in the end zone seats, weaving his way back and forth while jogging over there, trying to get a couple of sections to cheer louder than each other. He's gotta be the most popular 80th man on the roster in NFL history.

[Comment From ryan]
Any idea how to make the webpage (not the chat) stop refreshing so I don't have to keep reopening the chat?

3:22
Tim MacMahon: Click on the headline at the top of the post, so the chat is the only post on your screen.

And I've gotten questions about stopping the automatic scroll. There's a button for that at the bottom of the chat box.

3:23
Tim MacMahon: Looks like the action is about to start on the field. Per editor's orders, I won't hold back from reporting anything that happens out there.

3:26
Tim MacMahon: Starting with inside run and WR/DB red zone one-on-ones. .... Davis got just enough of a shot on Spencer to spring Barber for a big play on a counter. .. Newman PBU on slant to Hurd. ... Kitna completed a zig-zag out to Williams short of the end zone. ... Ware blew up a run to Barber. ... Barber scooted up the middle for a big run on a delay.

3:28
Tim MacMahon: Romo with the running game now. ... Bennett didn't have chance to make play on fade from Kitna out of bounds. Good coverage by Sensabaugh. ... Felix turned corner on counter pitch, beating Octavien to the edge. ... Austin got Smith to bite on outside move to get wide open for easy score on slant. ... Nice over-the-shoulder catch by Ogletree on fade over Mickens. ... J. Hawkins got inside Scandrick to score on slant. ... Newman blanketed Jefferson on fade. .... Saw Felix dashing up field, but looked too late to see type of run.

3:30
Tim MacMahon: Romo has joined WRs now. First rep incomplete fade to Williams with K.. Hamlin in good poisition. ... Romo's throw was off on out to Crayton, who pshed off to get good separation vs. Scandrick. ... Marcus Dixon got off the ball so quickly that he slammed into Choice as he was getting the handoff, putting Choice on his butt and the ball on the ground.

3:32
Tim MacMahon: PBU by Newman on fade to Ogletree. ... Not much room for Choice on sweep right. ... Crayton caught fade-stop on Jenkins, who never turned his head around. ... Brooking stood up Felix at line of scrimmage. ... Scandrick jumped inside Williams on a slant but dropped the pick after getting both hands on Romo's pass. ... Sensabaugh soars to keep J. Hawkins from catching fade. ... Starting D is roughing up Lattimore on a regular baiss. ... Jesse Holley beat Mickens on a slant. ... Sam Hurd made a tippy-toe catch in back of end zone for TD vs. Smith.

3:35
Tim MacMahon: McGee missed high to Willie Reid on out with good coverage by Jenkins. ... Crayton left Smith running the wrong way with an inside move before breaking out in back of end zone. ... Romo back with running game. ... J. Phillips got inside K. Hamlin to catch a TD from McGee over the middle. ... Manny Johnson beat Scandrick on a quick out in front of end zone. ... Ogletree couldn't make catch on fade despite getting hands on the ball vs. Brown. ... Running game has been solid with Jones/Barber .... 4 or 5 yards per pop.

3:37
Tim MacMahon: DeAngelo Smith is having a tough time. He got beat by a few steps on a Mike Jefferson slant. .. Good coverage by Mickens on Reid crossing route in back of end zone. ... Williams went high over Jenkins to catch fade. ... Drills end with Choice lowering his shoulder to knock back M. Hamlin and J. Hawkins beating Brown on a slant.

[Comment From Chris]
Bennett's peak for his career? When is he a free agent? Likely to stay?

3:38
Tim MacMahon: Martellus has the potential to be an elite tight end. Witten is arguably the best in the game, and Bennett is bigger, faster, quicker and can jump higher, plus he's a willing and able blocker, as is Witten.

[Comment From Marty B]
What's my fantasy value? I feel as if I am a top 15 TE with Rice and top 5 without Rice ahead of me on the depth chart.

3:39
Tim MacMahon: Haven't done much studying for my defending champion squad, but I project Marty B to catch about 40 passes and score 6-8 TDs. I'd have to look to see how high that ranks among TEs, but he's definitely a draftable player in my eight-team league.

Tim MacMahon: 7-on-7 and pass rush drills now.

3:40
Tim MacMahon: Romo hook to Hurd in front of Newman. ... Butler burned Jason Witten, working with OL, on a speed rush. Witten did OK vs. Williams bull-rush. ... Williams got step by Colombo, who had to try to push him past the QB from behind. ... Romo out to Williams for about 10 yards in front of Jenkins.

3:43
Tim MacMahon: Spears got nowhere vs. Davis. ... Romo easy dump-off to Crayton for 5 plus run in middle. ... Ratliff had no trouble beating Gurode with a swim move to his left. And he got the best of Gurode the next rep, too. ... Felix had room to run after catching quick out. ... Gurode ended up flat on his back at the QB's feet with Ratliff on top of him after a bull-rush. ... Gurode finally won a rep, standing up Ratliff.... Nice play by Bobby Carpenter, breaking up a seam route to Bennett.

3:45
Tim MacMahon: Kosier stands ground vs. Igor. ... Drop by Bennett on hook route in front of Carpenter. ... Impressive spin by Ware inside, but Flozell did a respectable job recovering, if the QB was quick enough to get out of Ware's way. ... Flo ended up chasing Ware on a speed rush the next rep, trying to push him past the QB and following him all the way across the line of scrimmage when Ware returned to his defensive teammates.

3:46
Tim MacMahon: Familar sight: No. 81 dropping a pass. Mike Jeffferson was wide open on a deep ball but couldn't hang on to Kitna's strike. Didn't see who was the burn victim. ... Witten struggled vs. both rookie OLBs.

3:47
Tim MacMahon: B. Williams whupped McQuistan with an outside burst. .. Ogletree chopped his feet inbounds after catching out from Kitna in front of Mickens. ... Spin by B. Williams would have forced QB to move, but McQuistan recovered to prevent sack. ... Solid job by Ryan Gibbon on two reps vs. Jason Hatcher.

3:49
Tim MacMahon: Checkdown McGee has reported to 7-on-7 action. ... Good job by Gibbons vs. Dixon. ... Spencer made quick work of John Phillips with inside move. ... Butler went outside on him and pushed Phillips back toward CB. ... Crayton caught comeback from Romo in front of Scandrick.

3:50
Tim MacMahon: Red zone work in 7-on-7 now. Ball on 19. ... Diving catch by Marty B for 10 yards in front of Sensabaugh. Bennett stumbled coming out of break and had to leave feet for ball a bit high and outside. ... Holland didn't look too bd vs. Bowen. ... Austin caught ball on crossing route vs. Newman and might have scored on the play. ...

3:52
Tim MacMahon: Austin beat Jenkins for TD on skinny post from Newman. ... Decent job by Free vs. Butler speed rush. Good job on inside move. ... Austin out from Romo to move chains. .... Spencer whipped Free with speed rush. ...

3:53
Tim MacMahon: Holding, Scott Chandler on Octavien... Williams caught an out from rolling right Romo in front of Ball for a 12-yard TD. ... McQuistan got a good punch on Spencer to thwart speed rush and had good position vs. spin move next rep.

3:55
Tim MacMahon: Butler blew by McQuistan with an outside move, dipping under an attempted punch. ... Ogletree scored on a skinny post inside Mickens. Kitna fired a bullet between the numbers. ... Holland is getting some center reps and held his ground vs. Jonas Seawright. ...

3:56
Tim MacMahon: Derreck Robinson got under Holland's pads and collapsed the pocket. ... Diving catch by Ogletree on a quick out in front of Jenkins. ... McGee still looks indecisve, pumping to a WR before dumping the ball off to a RB over the middle.

3:57
Tim MacMahon: Hatcher beat Gibbons with an inside move. ... Session ends with Ken Hamlin breaking up a McGee out to Julian Hawkins. The ball hung in the air a bit.

3:59
[Comment From bishwo]
Why D-Ware is not signed yet? Do you think the deal will be done prior to the regular season start?

4:00
Tim MacMahon: Don't know about the specifics of the negotiations, so I can't say exactly why the deal isn't done yet. But my understanding is the negotiations aren't too intense right now, so it doesn't look like a deal will be done before the season.

Tim MacMahon: Team drills again. Ball at minus-40. ... Romo 12-yard out to Williams in front of Jenkins. Best Romo/Roy practice so far.

4:03
Tim MacMahon: Brooking got to Barber in the backfield on a toss right. Barber might have wanted to cut off-tackle, but Spencer did a good job clogging things up. ... INT for Bobby Carpenter on a risky Romo throw to Barber over the middle. Romo side-stepped Ware's rush (probably would have been a sack in live action) to make the throw, which Carpenter deflected high and rebounded. Action continued after the play with a pretty intense Colombo/Ratliff scrap, pairing probably the two meanest hombres on the team.... PBU by Scandrick on quick out to Crayton, working out of the slot.

4:04
Tim MacMahon: Saw a package with Barber and Choice in the backfield and Felix in the opposite slot. It was a toss play to Barber, which went for a decent gain. ... Getting testy out there. Austin got pin-balled by Scandrick and Jason Williams after catching a quick out.

4:06
Tim MacMahon: Austin got wide open on intermediate route between Brown and Watkins. Easy catch, even though Kitna's throw was a little behind him. ... Mike Hamlin met Felix Jones near line of scrimmage on run up middle.

4:07
Tim MacMahon: Manny Johnson makes his first big play of camp, running past Courtney Brown on a seam route for a 53-yard TD from Kitna. The old man threw another strike and looks great today. ... More three-back stuff, with Felix motioning into the backfield to join his friends. Marty B got open for about a 15-yard gain plus the run on an out after play-action.

4:10
Tim MacMahon: Victor Butler got to Kitna before he threw the ball to Witten on a TE screen. ... All sorts of pass protection issues for the third-team O-line. Some comedy after McGee, who had tucked the ball, decided to throw it. It ricocheted off the receiver into Pat McQuistan's hands, and Big Red rumbled for several yards before stumbling to the turf. ... Holley caught a slant vs. Scandrick, who would have made the tackle immediately. Holley kept sprinting until he reached the end zone, just like the Playmaker taught him.

4:11
Tim MacMahon: Jailbreak for first-team D vs. third-team OL. After scrambling (woulda been Spencer sack), McGee's pass to Chandler was broken up by Brooking. ... There's a display of arm strength by McGee, who fired a bullet to Ogletree on an out. Newman tried to make the diving breakup but didn't get there in time. Ogletree, as usual, caught the ball cleanly.

4:12
Tim MacMahon: Romo to Bennett on quick out. Marty B delivered a still arm to Jerome Carter's grill. ... Hurry-up QB sneak. ...

4:13
Tim MacMahon: Romo comeback to Crayton near the sideline (vs. Brown) to move the stick on third-and-10. ... Incompletion on out to Witten, who caught a ball thrown behind him but didn't get both feet down inbounds.

4:15
Tim MacMahon: Felix scooted up the middle on a draw. ... Crayton made a one-handed catch in the flat, but J. Williams was there to make the stop near the line of scrimmage. ... Carpenter and James kept Felix from getting a first down on a third-and-7 swing pass.

4:17
Tim MacMahon: Choice burst through the nickel D on a third-and-3 draw. James got to him at the sticks but didn't have a good angle and would have had to make an arm tackle. ... Kitna 11-yard out to Austin on first down in front of DeAngelo Smith.

4:18
Tim MacMahon: Quick throw to Bennett, who tried to shake and bake Carter. Felix motioned wide right with Choice in the backfield. ... Brown was in position to keep Jefferson from getting a first down after catching a quick hook.

4:20
Tim MacMahon: McGee held the ball for a month before firing high on an intermediate crossing route to Johnson. ... With Spencer in his face, McGee threw a duck so off-target that I don't know which guy was the intended target.

4:21
Tim MacMahon: Ratliff met Lattimore at the line of scrimmage. ... Practice ends with Ware beating Doug Free to get to McGee. Gotta go.

21Savage

newnationcb
Reaction score
That'll be great if you can post first hand footage. But first, what I need for a quick fix is Tim Mcmahon's reports

tchoice23

Reaction score
toddarcher: Jerry Jones hasn't changed his mind about chemistry: This Cowboys training camp doesn't have nearly as much dram.. http://************/lpvfqn 1:34
toddarcher: Premature 53-man roster projection: Here's my educated guess at the roster after final cuts next month, based on.. http://************/mvdo2h
1:34
toddarcher: Who will return punts?: Four players have been returning punts in this camp: Felix Jones, Patrick Crayton, Teren.. http://************/nkh629
1:44
Tim MacMahon: Well, I reckon I ought to explain the three previous items. I've hooked it up so Todd Archer's tweets will go right up in the chat, so he can provide info from his spot on the sideline right to our readers instead of texting me injury reports, celebrity sightings, etc. Archer is a serious note-taker during live action, so he might leave that part of live practice coverage to me, but he always posts his observations afterward.

His Twitter feed is automatically set up to spit out links to posts from the blog every 30 minutes, so that's what happened there.

As you can see, you can follow him @toddarcher. You can follow me @tmacmahon.

While we're sort of in self-promotional mode, this seems like a good time to mention that I'll pop on ESPN 103.3's Galloway and Co. at 5:40 to discuss Cowboys camp. You can hear that on espn1033.com.
1:47
[Comment From Bill In DC]
So in your post below about the 53 you have Williams, Austin, Crayton -- does that mean you see Austin winning the #2 spot.
1:50
Tim MacMahon: Not necessarily. I think that's a possibility, but it wasn't my intention to put those guys in any particular order.

Right now, Patrick Crayton is getting all the reps as the No. 2 guy. However, Miles Austin and Sam Hurd get plenty of reps with Tony Romo in two-WR sets. All the roster-lock WRs other than Roy Williams have clicked with Romo, but Austin brings a speed dimension that the other guys don't. That's why he'd be the No. 2 WR if I was in charge (and, of course, he stayed healthy), but Wade Phillips and Jason Garrett have yet to ask for my opinion on the issue.
1:51
[Comment From Jrock]
I recently read that our 3rd round pick Willams has looks lost at times. Does that mean Carpenter is a lock for the nickel linebacker spot?
1:53
Tim MacMahon: I made the mistake of mentioning that to Keith Brooking the other day. As I posted yesterday, he certainly isn't conceding anything.

But, yes, it's clearly Carpenter's job right now. Williams' head is spinning, so it'll be a while until he's ready to contribute in any role outside of special teams. Stephen Hodge, a safety at TCU, has potential in the nickel/dime LB role but missed a ton of OTA, minicamp and training camp reps due to calf and knee injuries. He practiced for the first time during camp yesterday and acknowledged that he was rusty and lost at times.
1:55
[Comment From David]
How fast is Kevin Ogletree?
Tim MacMahon: His official time from the combine was 4.46. To put that in perspective, it ranked 11th among WRs at the combine and was .02 faster than Philadelphia first-rounder Jeremy Maclin.

Ogletree certainly doesn't have Maclin's rep as a playmaker, though. Maclin has done most of his damage in camp on short and intermediate reps, but he did burn Mike Mickens for a long TD on a post route in 7-on-7 the other day.
[Comment From Shon]
Will Garrett figure out how to use Jones, Bennett & Witten at the same time? I would think at least one would be single covered by a Linebacker.
Tim MacMahon: That will certainly be interesting to see how it develops. You would think that Witten would get most of the attention from safeties, since he is by far the most proven play of the three. But Jones and Bennett have more big-play potential. That trio gives Cowboys fans good reason to be optimistic about the offense this season.

I will say, though, that Jones hasn't done anything noteworthy as a receiver during camp in a non-RB role. In other words, he looks good catching passes in the flat or dump-offs over the middle and making guys miss, but he hasn't caught many (or any that I recall off the top of my head) passes after running WR routes out of the slot or split wide.
Right this very second, who starts, Orlando or Jenkins?
2:01
Tim MacMahon: Right this very second, it's too close to call. That's good news, since both guys are performing well. This isn't a case where a guy will be given a job because his competition isn't good enough.
2:02
[Comment From NF]
Will you PLEASE stop saying coachable WR now? Its really a ridiculous thing to hound #11 with and for no reason.
Tim MacMahon: I promised to drop the coachable wide receiver reference if he didn't use it to describe himself for the first week of camp. Today is the last day.

Can anybody think of a good question to bait him into using it?

(Just kidding. Don't get your blue-starred boxers in a bunch.)
[Comment From Bill Layne]
If the Cowboys intend to run the ball more, then the line will have to perform better this year. Last year they were up and down in the running game. Great block one play, tackle in the backfield the next. How has the O-line looked as a unit so far?
2:04
Tim MacMahon: The starting offensive lines looks solid, especially in the run game. But there could be some serious problems if there are any injuries.
2:05
[Comment From MARIO sTRICKLAND]
Nobody is discussing the 4th and 5th corner position. Please chime in.
Tim MacMahon: As you can see in the 53-man roster projection posted below on the blog, I've only got four cornerbacks making the team right now, and one of those is Alan Ball, who plays a lot of free safety. That's in part because rookie FS DeAngelo Smith played primarily corner in college and is getting reps there.

Courtney Brown's strong off-season hasn't carried over early in camp. He's been so-so. Mike Mickens has made some plays, including two picks, on short routes but has been the most frequent burn victim on vertical routes. His lack of NFL-caliber CB speed has been exposed. Not sure if his knee, which caused his draft stock to plummet, is still bothering him. He still has a legit shot to make the roster, but he looks like practice squad material after 10 practices.

Ball worked as the second slot guy in the dime package.
[Comment From Dan]
How would you currently rank all receivers on the 80 man roster?
Tim MacMahon: Roy Williams is the No. 1 WR no matter what happens during camp. Patrick Crayton, Miles Austin and Sam Hurd have all performed well here and are in that order on the depth chart right now.

It gets bunched up after that. The fifth WR competition looks like this in my eyes:

Kevin Ogletree
Mike Jefferson
Willie Reid
Isaiah Stanback, who sat out the last couple of days with a sore hamstring.
Manny Johnson

Jesse Holley and Julian Hawkins round out the group. And I vow that this is the last time I'll mention the Fourth and Long winner's name today unless he does something on the field to merit discussion.

[Comment From justin]
Has garrett split bennett out on some of these two tight end formations? I would think he could create mismatches on linebackers.
Tim MacMahon: Bennett and Witten both move all over the field in the various two-tight end looks. That's one reason that personnel package is so intriguing. They can basically line up in any formation out of it.
[Comment From justin]
have you seen any improvement by Doug Free at Tackle with more reps
Tim MacMahon: Doug Free hasn't looked terrible. That's an improvement from last summer.

Once again, though, I'll say that if they had much confidence in Free, Leonard Davis wouldn't be getting LT reps.
[Comment From Will]
I really dont think they will let Mike Mickens hit the practice squad for fearing someone will pick him up. He was a stud before his injury and a lot of teams will see that. Plus he has made some plays (but yes gave up big plays as well). Also Stanback will make the team, Ogletree will prob be picked up by someone else. What u think (other than ur 53 projection)?
Tim MacMahon: Every team passed on Mickens many times in the draft. The reason for that was a lack of speed and explosiveness, in part because of the knee injury. A lack of speed and explosiveness have been a problem for him so far in camp.

If Mickens plays well in the preseason games, he'll make the team. If he doesn't, I think the Cowboys can slip him through waivers to their practice squad.
[Comment From Jrock]
I get the feeling that Scandrick and Jenkins will stay neck and neck throughout camp, and Jenkins will take the "starting" corner spot, but do you think that will change on a game by game basis. Say for instance, Scandrick may matchup with a particular wideout better than Jenkins, thus giving him a start here or there ?
2:17
Tim MacMahon: No. I think they'll pick one guy and stick with him as the starter unless he struggles. Matter of fact, Dave Campo told me as much, except he didn't mention the possibility of the guy they pick struggling.

Of course, there's a decent shot they'll both start at some point, considering Terence Newman's recent injury history.
Tim MacMahon: As far as Scandrick in the slot, he'll fill that role in the nickel and dime whether he starts or not. He has a chip on his shoulder (roughly the size of his body weight) to prove that he can play outside, too.
[Comment From scott]
You mentioned a day or two ago that Holley could make the practice squad. If he does, do you think he can devolp enough to make the 53 man roster one day?
Tim MacMahon: Dang it. You made me break my vow not to mention Holley again!!

It's not out of the realm of possibility for him to develop into an NFL WR. He has good size and doesn't look out of place athletically.
[Comment From lifefan]
Can Roy cut and plant hard yet?
2:21
Tim MacMahon: His foot isn't bothering him any more, if that's what you're asking. But he's still a long strider who isn't especially explosive out of his cuts, especially on double moves. "Sega routes," my buddy/offical GAC scout Bryan Broaddus calls them, because Williams looks stiff, like he's being controlled by a 20th century joystick.
[Comment From Don]
Hi Tim - thanks again for doing this. My main problem with the Cowboys the last two seasons has been a remarked lack of physical toughness/aggressive play. There's no team in the NFL that fears the Cowboys coming to town, unlike the black-and-blue reputation of teams like the Steelers and the Ravens. Any clue yet this year if this team is going to be different? Whether they will be able to play some smash mouth football with a saltier attitude, as opposed to, let's say, lying down and quitting in the last week and losing 44-6?
Tim MacMahon: I certainly understand your concern, but that's the type of thing that's impossible to tell during training camp, especially with no questions.

We won't get the answer to that question until the regular season ... perhaps as late as December.
[Comment From Mel Franklin]
Hey guys. Just stepped in and wonder how Romo is looking? I've heard he's struggling with his accuracy. Clear it up, please.
Tim MacMahon: Romo struggled with his accuracy on the first day. He's been sharp since then.
[Comment From Jrock]
How does Spencer look in camp? With Ellis gone, we really need him to step up.
Tim MacMahon: Anthony Spencer looks like an above-average starting OLB. He's a force against the run and has had his pass-rushing moments. If Spencer stays healthy, I don't think Ellis will be missed.
[Comment From Guest]
If Romo went down with an injury today (hope not), who would Jerry Jones be more likely to call first: vick or Favre?
Tim MacMahon: Neither. They're comfortable with Jon Kitna.

Now, Favre or Vick might call Jerry ...
[Comment From David]
Just ask him how coachable he is!
Tim MacMahon: That'd be a violation of the spirit of the compromise.
[Comment From Nick from Germany]
Please keep using the coachable wide receiver moniker!!!! It is the truth!
Tim MacMahon: The term doesn't seem to be quite as popular with my Texas readers as it is with the fine folks in Europe.
[Comment From J]
I love Ogletree, I think the only player in his way is Stanback. When is Stanback supposed to resume practice?
Tim MacMahon: He's an official maybe today, but I don't see him out there. They're working on kick return, and he'd be back there with the returners, you'd think.
[Comment From Matt G]
How has Anthony Spencer looked? If he gets injured who will back him up at this point?
toddarcher: Live from the Alamodome XI: After a refreshing morning off, the Cowboys hit the Alamodome turf at 2:15 p.m. Fir.. http://************/ltgh4m
Tim MacMahon: See above for the quickie Spencer report. It's to be determined which fourth-rounder will be the third guy in the OLB rotation, but the coaches are pleased with the progress of Victor Butler and Brandon Williams.
Tim, I forgot, are practices free? I'll be there next Wednesday. Will they be practicing then? What hotel do the Cowboys stay in? If you're staying at the "Menger" hotel, I'd love to buy you a brewsky.
2:29
Tim MacMahon: You picked a bad day to come to San Antonio. The Cowboys will have a walkthrough that morning, then head to the Bay Area. I'll be in the Bay Area for the preseason games vs. Raiders.

Gotta go downstairs for PR announcement.
2:38
toddarcher: Bum Phillips is at practice. Camera crew riding with him.
2:43
Tim MacMahon: OK, I'm back. That announcement was what I expected.

The Cowboys asked us to refrain to from reporting specifics about trick plays and unique formations.

In possibly related news, Wade Phillips said the other day that the Cowboys would work on their Razorback formation soon.

We'll respect the Cowboys' wishes and not report specifics, so I might have to be vague during certain points in practice.
2:44
[Comment From Jayson W]
With Hamlin and Sensabaugh at the saftey positions, do you expect to see the defense blitz more and try and cause more turnovers?
Tim MacMahon: It has more to do with the addition of Sensabaugh than Hamlin. They now have a strong safety that they're not scared to death to put in man coverage against tight ends.

But, yes, that along with improved man coverage at the corners thanks to Mike Jenkins and Orlando Scandrick frees up Wade Phillips to call more blitzes. But he won't get blitz-happy just for the sake of doing so. If DeMarcus Ware and Co. are getting to the QB without extra help, why send extra guys?
[Comment From Phillip in Memphis]
Who was or will be a better value from last's year draft? Bennett in the 3rd round or Scandrick in the 5th?
2:47
Tim MacMahon: Well, Bennett was a second-rounder. Tashard Choice in the fourth could end up being part of that conversation a few years down the road, but it's a great debate.

I'd go with Scandrick. You expect second-rounders to be starters/significant contributors. That isn't the case with fifth-rounders.
2:50
[Comment From eattrn]
Has the Stanback experiment not finally run its course?
Tim MacMahon: I'd list that as probable. And that's likely to be the listing on the injury report for him over the next week or so.
[Comment From Tom]
Will Jerry Jones trade Pat Watkins or another player before the final cuts while they have value. Maybe for an OL or late round pick.
Tim MacMahon: If the Cowboys could get something of value for Watkins, I don't think they'd hesitate to do so. But that's a big if.
[Comment From Gator]
Do you agree that Carpenter will solify the linebackin core?
Tim MacMahon: Hmmmm ... I think Carpenter will solid in the nickel and dime role. As far as solidifying the LB corps, I'd still be very concerned if he had to start, although he's been much more physical and played well against the run this camp.
[Comment From Tom]
Who takes over if Columbo is out in a game? Kosier could move to RT in a jiffy.
Tim MacMahon: Great question. And I'm not sure the Cowboys know the answer. From what I've seen, Pat McQuistan ain't it.

My hunch is that Leonard Davis would bump over a spot with Montrae Holland filling in at right guard.
[Comment From JM]
Why do you list Ball as your 4th corner when he's currently playing safety? Do you really think the team would take only 3 true corners into the season?
Tim MacMahon: Because Ball is still getting CB reps and was the fourth corner with the first-team dime package.
[Comment From Matt Mcbriar]
I'm booting 70+ yard punts and you don't think I can hit a giant big screen? Please! Oh and will I be the best punter in the leauge this year?
Tim MacMahon: Mat, your first name is spelled with only one t. And the B is capitalized in your last name.

Did I ever say that there was no way a punt would hit the JerryTron? No. I just said that the Cowboys have tested the height of McBriar's punts and don't expect it to happen.

And, yes, you could be the best punter in the league. Shane Lechler has that title now, and thanks to Al Davis, gets paid four times as much as you.
[Comment From Tom]
Are Romo and Witten aware of Brandon Jacobs and Chris Cooley's offseason banter. Any responses?
2:58
Tim MacMahon: Haven't asked Romo about Jacobs, but I doubt he's anything more than mildly miffed and/or amused.

Go the the categories on the side of the blog and click on Jason Witten, scroll down a bit and read between the lines to figure out that he's pretty annoyed by Cooley's mocking videos.
[Comment From Shon]
Can you list a premature practice squad?
Tim MacMahon: I'll do that on next week's edition of the premature 53-man roster projection.
[Comment From Landrys Hat]
How is Procter still on this squad? Surely his ability to suck at multiple OL positions is vastly overrated (As evidenced by his play last year). There has to be a Free-Agent OL out there somewhere who could do a passable job as a backup.
Tim MacMahon: He's still on the squad because, as of right now, he's the second-best center. Ryan Gibbons is working to change the coaches' opinions on that.

Hate to break it to you, but there are a lot of backup offensive linemen in the league that you'd think sucked if they had to start an entire season.
[Comment From ROFL]
Im planning on attending Cowboys practice on Saturday. Any thoughts on a good place to sit?
Tim MacMahon: If you want autographs and can't get a VIP pass to stand behind the fences on the sideline, the best places to sit are overlooking the tunnel the players come through (tie your items to a string/rope and lower them to the players) and in the first row behind the end zone.

The nice thing about the Alamodome from a fan's perspective is that all the seats have good sightlines.
[Comment From Wade Phillips]
If last year was camp cupcake, what is this years camp called?
3:07
Tim MacMahon: I've never used that clever alliterative nickname, because I don't think it's accurate. The no-tackling policy is pretty common around the NFL -- the Eagles tackle, and it cost them a starting linebacker -- and the schedule is more demanding than it was under Parcells.

As far as Jerry Jones is concerned, this is the Built Ford Tough Dallas Cowboys Training Camp. Gotta get the sponsor name in there.

That reminds me ... there's a hilarious AP photo from the kickoff press conference that I'll post later.
3:08
[Comment From Shon]
Forgetting about positions and formations, who are the best 11 defensive players? Would it be possible to put them on the field at the same time?
Tim MacMahon: I've never really looked at it that way, but that's an interesting question. Thinking out loud ...

DeMarcus Ware
Jay Ratliff
Terence Newman
Anthony Spencer
Orlando Scandrick
Mike Jenkins
Bradie James
Ken Hamlin
Gerald Sensabaugh
Marcus Spears
Keith Brooking

Don't think you'd ever see that package together, because Brooking and Spears come off the field in the nickel/dime stuff.

[Comment From Big D in VA]
UVa runs a pro-like scheme on offense and alot of two TE sets. ANy of that attributable to Ogletree's "success" or is he just proving he may be a playmaker.
Tim MacMahon: It's possible that his experience in a pro-style scheme is helping him. He certainly doesn't look confused out there. But he's just done a nice job getting open and hasn't dropped any balls that I've seen.
[Comment From Captain Awesome]
What's your opinion on the '08 draft class? I remember not being especially impressed with them right after the draft, being slightly impressed with them after the season and now, when I think about how they're setting up to contribute this year, I'll admit my eyebrow is raised and I catch myself wondering if this is really one of our more solid classes.
Tim MacMahon: It has a chance to be a great class. You can make the case that Tashard Choice (fourth) and Orlando Scandrick (fifth) were the best picks in their respective rounds. Felix Jones, Mike Jenkins and Martellus Bennett are all living up to their draft billing in camp. And Scandrick might be a better player than Jenkins -- that was certainly true during their rookie seasons.
[Comment From Dennis]
Isn't anyone concerned about the OLB position if Ware (Heaven Forbid!) or Spencer go down to injury? Don't they only have two rookies as backups?
Tim MacMahon: Yeah, but every team in the league is concerned about their OLBs if both starters go down.

That was my concern when Greg Ellis got released. I didn't know if the rookies would be ready to contribute right away. Brandon Williams in particular looks prepared to start if need be, because he's been impressive against the run and as a pass rusher.
[Comment From robert from nc]
Has the O-line been working on picking up stunts and delays because it seems that since Sparano left they have really been getting burned by those?
Tim MacMahon: They did some 2-on-2 pass-rush drills the other day, and they've gotten a lot of work in blitz pickup during team drills. But I'd agree they had some major problems there last season, especially down the stretch.
[Comment From KFFL]
With Demarucs Ware on one side and Anthony Spencer on the other..........do you think we have our own version of the "New York Sack Exchange"?
Tim MacMahon: Whoa, buddy. Let's wait until Spencer has at least five career sacks before making him part of one of the greatest pass-rushing tandems of all-time.
[Comment From Shon]
Do you sense any bias towards Holley due to how he made it on to the training camp roster?
Tim MacMahon: There I go again breaking my vow not to discuss Jesse Holley unless he did something noteworthy on the field.

I haven't noticed any animosity from the players toward him. But he sure does seem to be soaking up his newfound celebrity. He played to the crowd in the end zone seats, weaving his way back and forth while jogging over there, trying to get a couple of sections to cheer louder than each other. He's gotta be the most popular 80th man on the roster in NFL history.
[Comment From ryan]
Any idea how to make the webpage (not the chat) stop refreshing so I don't have to keep reopening the chat?
3:22
Tim MacMahon: Click on the headline at the top of the post, so the chat is the only post on your screen.

And I've gotten questions about stopping the automatic scroll. There's a button for that at the bottom of the chat box.
3:23
Tim MacMahon: Looks like the action is about to start on the field. Per editor's orders, I won't hold back from reporting anything that happens out there.
3:26
Tim MacMahon: Starting with inside run and WR/DB red zone one-on-ones. .... Davis got just enough of a shot on Spencer to spring Barber for a big play on a counter. .. Newman PBU on slant to Hurd. ... Kitna completed a zig-zag out to Williams short of the end zone. ... Ware blew up a run to Barber. ... Barber scooted up the middle for a big run on a delay.
3:28
Tim MacMahon: Romo with the running game now. ... Bennett didn't have chance to make play on fade from Kitna out of bounds. Good coverage by Sensabaugh. ... Felix turned corner on counter pitch, beating Octavien to the edge. ... Austin got Smith to bite on outside move to get wide open for easy score on slant. ... Nice over-the-shoulder catch by Ogletree on fade over Mickens. ... J. Hawkins got inside Scandrick to score on slant. ... Newman blanketed Jefferson on fade. .... Saw Felix dashing up field, but looked too late to see type of run.
3:30
Tim MacMahon: Romo has joined WRs now. First rep incomplete fade to Williams with K.. Hamlin in good poisition. ... Romo's throw was off on out to Crayton, who pshed off to get good separation vs. Scandrick. ... Marcus Dixon got off the ball so quickly that he slammed into Choice as he was getting the handoff, putting Choice on his butt and the ball on the ground.
3:32
Tim MacMahon: PBU by Newman on fade to Ogletree. ... Not much room for Choice on sweep right. ... Crayton caught fade-stop on Jenkins, who never turned his head around. ... Brooking stood up Felix at line of scrimmage. ... Scandrick jumped inside Williams on a slant but dropped the pick after getting both hands on Romo's pass. ... Sensabaugh soars to keep J. Hawkins from catching fade. ... Starting D is roughing up Lattimore on a regular baiss. ... Jesse Holley beat Mickens on a slant. ... Sam Hurd made a tippy-toe catch in back of end zone for TD vs. Smith.
3:35
Tim MacMahon: McGee missed high to Willie Reid on out with good coverage by Jenkins. ... Crayton left Smith running the wrong way with an inside move before breaking out in back of end zone. ... Romo back with running game. ... J. Phillips got inside K. Hamlin to catch a TD from McGee over the middle. ... Manny Johnson beat Scandrick on a quick out in front of end zone. ... Ogletree couldn't make catch on fade despite getting hands on the ball vs. Brown. ... Running game has been solid with Jones/Barber .... 4 or 5 yards per pop.
Tim MacMahon: DeAngelo Smith is having a tough time. He got beat by a few steps on a Mike Jefferson slant. .. Good coverage by Mickens on Reid crossing route in back of end zone. ... Williams went high over Jenkins to catch fade. ... Drills end with Choice lowering his shoulder to knock back M. Hamlin and J. Hawkins beating Brown on a slant.
[Comment From Chris]
Bennett's peak for his career? When is he a free agent? Likely to stay?
Tim MacMahon: Martellus has the potential to be an elite tight end. Witten is arguably the best in the game, and Bennett is bigger, faster, quicker and can jump higher, plus he's a willing and able blocker, as is Witten.
[Comment From Marty B]
What's my fantasy value? I feel as if I am a top 15 TE with Rice and top 5 without Rice ahead of me on the depth chart.
Tim MacMahon: Haven't done much studying for my defending champion squad, but I project Marty B to catch about 40 passes and score 6-8 TDs. I'd have to look to see how high that ranks among TEs, but he's definitely a draftable player in my eight-team league.
Tim MacMahon: 7-on-7 and pass rush drills now.
3:40
Tim MacMahon: Romo hook to Hurd in front of Newman. ... Butler burned Jason Witten, working with OL, on a speed rush. Witten did OK vs. Williams bull-rush. ... Williams got step by Colombo, who had to try to push him past the QB from behind. ... Romo out to Williams for about 10 yards in front of Jenkins.
3:43
Tim MacMahon: Spears got nowhere vs. Davis. ... Romo easy dump-off to Crayton for 5 plus run in middle. ... Ratliff had no trouble beating Gurode with a swim move to his left. And he got the best of Gurode the next rep, too. ... Felix had room to run after catching quick out. ... Gurode ended up flat on his back at the QB's feet with Ratliff on top of him after a bull-rush. ... Gurode finally won a rep, standing up Ratliff.... Nice play by Bobby Carpenter, breaking up a seam route to Bennett.
3:45
Tim MacMahon: Kosier stands ground vs. Igor. ... Drop by Bennett on hook route in front of Carpenter. ... Impressive spin by Ware inside, but Flozell did a respectable job recovering, if the QB was quick enough to get out of Ware's way. ... Flo ended up chasing Ware on a speed rush the next rep, trying to push him past the QB and following him all the way across the line of scrimmage when Ware returned to his defensive teammates.
3:46
Tim MacMahon: Familar sight: No. 81 dropping a pass. Mike Jeffferson was wide open on a deep ball but couldn't hang on to Kitna's strike. Didn't see who was the burn victim. ... Witten struggled vs. both rookie OLBs.
3:47
Tim MacMahon: B. Williams whupped McQuistan with an outside burst. .. Ogletree chopped his feet inbounds after catching out from Kitna in front of Mickens. ... Spin by B. Williams would have forced QB to move, but McQuistan recovered to prevent sack. ... Solid job by Ryan Gibbon on two reps vs. Jason Hatcher.
3:49
Tim MacMahon: Checkdown McGee has reported to 7-on-7 action. ... Good job by Gibbons vs. Dixon. ... Spencer made quick work of John Phillips with inside move. ... Butler went outside on him and pushed Phillips back toward CB. ... Crayton caught comeback from Romo in front of Scandrick.
3:50
Tim MacMahon: Red zone work in 7-on-7 now. Ball on 19. ... Diving catch by Marty B for 10 yards in front of Sensabaugh. Bennett stumbled coming out of break and had to leave feet for ball a bit high and outside. ... Holland didn't look too bd vs. Bowen. ... Austin caught ball on crossing route vs. Newman and might have scored on the play. ...
3:52
Tim MacMahon: Austin beat Jenkins for TD on skinny post from Newman. ... Decent job by Free vs. Butler speed rush. Good job on inside move. ... Austin out from Romo to move chains. .... Spencer whipped Free with speed rush. ...
3:53
Tim MacMahon: Holding, Scott Chandler on Octavien... Williams caught an out from rolling right Romo in front of Ball for a 12-yard TD. ... McQuistan got a good punch on Spencer to thwart speed rush and had good position vs. spin move next rep.
3:55
Tim MacMahon: Butler blew by McQuistan with an outside move, dipping under an attempted punch. ... Ogletree scored on a skinny post inside Mickens. Kitna fired a bullet between the numbers. ... Holland is getting some center reps and held his ground vs. Jonas Seawright. ...
3:56
Tim MacMahon: Derreck Robinson got under Holland's pads and collapsed the pocket. ... Diving catch by Ogletree on a quick out in front of Jenkins. ... McGee still looks indecisve, pumping to a WR before dumping the ball off to a RB over the middle.
3:57
Tim MacMahon: Hatcher beat Gibbons with an inside move. ... Session ends with Ken Hamlin breaking up a McGee out to Julian Hawkins. The ball hung in the air a bit.
3:59
[Comment From bishwo]
Why D-Ware is not signed yet? Do you think the deal will be done prior to the regular season start?
Tim MacMahon: Don't know about the specifics of the negotiations, so I can't say exactly why the deal isn't done yet. But my understanding is the negotiations aren't too intense right now, so it doesn't look like a deal will be done before the season.
Tim MacMahon: Team drills again. Ball at minus-40. ... Romo 12-yard out to Williams in front of Jenkins. Best Romo/Roy practice so far.
4:03
Tim MacMahon: Brooking got to Barber in the backfield on a toss right. Barber might have wanted to cut off-tackle, but Spencer did a good job clogging things up. ... INT for Bobby Carpenter on a risky Romo throw to Barber over the middle. Romo side-stepped Ware's rush (probably would have been a sack in live action) to make the throw, which Carpenter deflected high and rebounded. Action continued after the play with a pretty intense Colombo/Ratliff scrap, pairing probably the two meanest hombres on the team.... PBU by Scandrick on quick out to Crayton, working out of the slot.
4:04
Tim MacMahon: Saw a package with Barber and Choice in the backfield and Felix in the opposite slot. It was a toss play to Barber, which went for a decent gain. ... Getting testy out there. Austin got pin-balled by Scandrick and Jason Williams after catching a quick out.
4:06
Tim MacMahon: Austin got wide open on intermediate route between Brown and Watkins. Easy catch, even though Kitna's throw was a little behind him. ... Mike Hamlin met Felix Jones near line of scrimmage on run up middle.
4:07
Tim MacMahon: Manny Johnson makes his first big play of camp, running past Courtney Brown on a seam route for a 53-yard TD from Kitna. The old man threw another strike and looks great today. ... More three-back stuff, with Felix motioning into the backfield to join his friends. Marty B got open for about a 15-yard gain plus the run on an out after play-action.
4:10
Tim MacMahon: Victor Butler got to Kitna before he threw the ball to Witten on a TE screen. ... All sorts of pass protection issues for the third-team O-line. Some comedy after McGee, who had tucked the ball, decided to throw it. It ricocheted off the receiver into Pat McQuistan's hands, and Big Red rumbled for several yards before stumbling to the turf. ... Holley caught a slant vs. Scandrick, who would have made the tackle immediately. Holley kept sprinting until he reached the end zone, just like the Playmaker taught him.
4:11
Tim MacMahon: Jailbreak for first-team D vs. third-team OL. After scrambling (woulda been Spencer sack), McGee's pass to Chandler was broken up by Brooking. ... There's a display of arm strength by McGee, who fired a bullet to Ogletree on an out. Newman tried to make the diving breakup but didn't get there in time. Ogletree, as usual, caught the ball cleanly.
4:12
Tim MacMahon: Romo to Bennett on quick out. Marty B delivered a still arm to Jerome Carter's grill. ... Hurry-up QB sneak. ...
4:13
Tim MacMahon: Romo comeback to Crayton near the sideline (vs. Brown) to move the stick on third-and-10. ... Incompletion on out to Witten, who caught a ball thrown behind him but didn't get both feet down inbounds.
4:15
Tim MacMahon: Felix scooted up the middle on a draw. ... Crayton made a one-handed catch in the flat, but J. Williams was there to make the stop near the line of scrimmage. ... Carpenter and James kept Felix from getting a first down on a third-and-7 swing pass.
4:17
Tim MacMahon: Choice burst through the nickel D on a third-and-3 draw. James got to him at the sticks but didn't have a good angle and would have had to make an arm tackle. ... Kitna 11-yard out to Austin on first down in front of DeAngelo Smith.
4:18
Tim MacMahon: Quick throw to Bennett, who tried to shake and bake Carter. Felix motioned wide right with Choice in the backfield. ... Brown was in position to keep Jefferson from getting a first down after catching a quick hook.
4:20
Tim MacMahon: McGee held the ball for a month before firing high on an intermediate crossing route to Johnson. ... With Spencer in his face, McGee threw a duck so off-target that I don't know which guy was the intended target.
4:21
Tim MacMahon: Ratliff met Lattimore at the line of scrimmage. ... Practice ends with Ware beating Doug Free to get to McGee. Gotta go.