Logic Points To OL In The 1st Round

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I could see OL in round 1, but definitely don't see it as any lock. Don't need first round talent for a Guard.

We fans have no real idea what Farniok, Ball and Waletzko might offer. Cowboys certainly have a feel.

I still expect to see a playmaker in round 1.
Dont need first round talent at guard? Says who? You can get a great one at 26, its the perfect spot for one.

We dont know what Farniok, Ball, Waletzki will offer? We know exactly what they will offer. They suck.

You mean you WANT them to draft a playmaker. I would take Mayer the TE, but thats it. Bad year for WR's and taking one in the first would be a poor use of the asset.

Sheepherder

Reaction score
I could see OL in round 1, but definitely don't see it as any lock. Don't need first round talent for a Guard.

We fans have no real idea what Farniok, Ball and Waletzko might offer. Cowboys certainly have a feel.

I still expect to see a playmaker in round 1.
Good point.

garyv

Reaction score
With the signing of Gilmore (insane value), I believe OL (OG) now has the highest chance of being the 1st round selection. You can make a case for WR, TE, RB, DT, but I think OL is the highest probability

While you can theoretically make do with what you have at OL, or even resign Peters, that is a suspect OL that 1 injury away from yikes. Tyler Smith is far from proven, Martin is aging, Tyron is Mr Glass, and Biadasz is just ok.

WR may be construed as more of a need, but the draft has deep talent, plenty of FAs out there, you still have Tolbert that might surprise you.
I've been saying OL at #26 than some value in 2nd Round might be RB or wait till 3rd Round or 4th your looking at Spears from Tulane

Sheepherder

Reaction score
I agree. I think line is going to be a top priority.

Dont need first round talent at guard? Says who? You can get a great one at 26, its the perfect spot for one.

We dont know what Farniok, Ball, Waletzki will offer? We know exactly what they will offer. They suck.

You mean you WANT them to draft a playmaker. I would take Mayer the TE, but thats it. Bad year for WR's and taking one in the first would be a poor use of the asset. I like the tight ends that were drafted last year.

stiletto

Reaction score
The team won’t draft an OL at 26
I'd be happy if they did. They rarely miss on their O-Linemen. O'Cyrus Torrence is going to us in a lot of mocks. Probably won't happen but he's a monster and we could use him.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I agree with you, but I just cannot see them making the pick with the intention of benching Biaz.
Schmitz could be drafted to play LG this season with the intention of moving him to OC next year when Biadasz is a free agent.

Schmitz can play OG or OC at a high level and is very football smart. He’s a hell of a prospect and truly does remind me a little of Frederick at center.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Schmitz could be drafted to play LG this season with the intention of moving him to OC next year when Biadasz is a free agent.

Schmitz can play OG or OC at a high level and is very football smart. He’s a hell of a prospect and truly does remind me a little of Frederick at center.
luv this kid. He can actually play all 5 line positions. We luv versatility in Dallas and this guy fits the bill.

Cowboyny

Reaction score

With Tyron expected to start at LT, I have a hard time seeing them use a 1st rd pick to red shirt a player so to speak.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
With Tyron expected to start at LT, I have a hard time seeing them use a 1st rd pick to red shirt a player so to speak.
I understand, and odds are you are correct.

I think they would only go that route if their board was wiped out at other positions.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I understand, and odds are you are correct.

I think they would only go that route if their board was wiped out at other positions.
I love the prospect too and they did talk to him at the combine, but I think they like their starting five next season. Yes, a plan for Tyron has to be in place, but I just don't think they want to use a 1st rd pick to do so.

If a receiver is signed or traded for, they have to figure out how to fix their run game first and then determine what they will do to replace Shultz lost production.

Sydla

Reaction score
Logic tells me that if they don’t sign a vet TB before the draft, there’s a very good chance 26 is Gibbs or Robinson.

Landryhat73

Reaction score
I would take OL if one of the following falls to 26 Skoronski, Wright, Johnson or Jones.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
With the signing of Gilmore (insane value), I believe OL (OG) now has the highest chance of being the 1st round selection. You can make a case for WR, TE, RB, DT, but I think OL is the highest probability

While you can theoretically make do with what you have at OL, or even resign Peters, that is a suspect OL that 1 injury away from yikes. Tyler Smith is far from proven, Martin is aging, Tyron is Mr Glass, and Biadasz is just ok.

WR may be construed as more of a need, but the draft has deep talent, plenty of FAs out there, you still have Tolbert that might surprise you.
I agree with you, but I would just note that OL isn't that much of "highest" probabilty, and whether or not an OG is picked first depends on whose out there at whatever spot Dallas picks at. If some prime DT, that was rated the 10th highest player overall somehow fell to Dallas' pick at 24th, or such, I'd have to pick them, with DT being both a need and the pick being a good value.

But yeah, OG is definitely way up there in need, certainly by the time Dallas' second pick...

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
If he can play G as well..... I wouldn't mind an upgrade at C. It all depends on how Cowboys see him.
I wouldn't either, but generally I'm not a fan of "he can play X position as well as Y", too many times it means they aren't great at either one, and end up being shuffled between two spots and never really developing as well as they could have had they been put at one position and left there.

There are exceptions, of course, can't be rigid in your drafting....

Rayman70

Reaction score
My logic for not using a first round pick on another OL.

Last time the Dallas Cowboys were elite was 92-95.
Larry Allen - 2nd round
Eric Williams - 3rd round
Mark Stepnoski - 3rd round
Kevin Gogan - 8th round
John Gesek - 10th round
Nate Newton - UDFA and USFL guyo

So none of them were 1st rounders and currently
T. Smith -- 1st round, both of them
Martin - 1st round
Bisdasz - 3rd round
Steele - UDFA

How many more assets need to be put into OL?
its not as cut and dry as u think. The draft is just 7 rds these days. Back in the 90's it was 12 rds. U had more dart throws if u will. Now guys get drafted higher than they might if we still had 12 rds. So its a bit unfair to make this comparison. Yes, it can be done this way. But the Chiefs have alot of assets on their oline, and I'd say its worked out swell for them. I have 0 issue at all drafting an elite lineman within the first 3 rds. Smitz or B. Jones is worth it.