LOL, Funny Titans Fans

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
I was in a NFL Message board with a bunch of Titans fans and we were discussing PacMan Jones and 2 of them started accusing Dallas of pulling a quick one on the Titans and then a bunch more jumped in.

Seems Titans fans think Jerry Jones knew PacMan would not be reinstated and figured out a way to get a higher additional 4th round choice next year.

They explain it as Jerry knew he could recoup the 4th it would cost this year, make it look like it's a legit trade by working out some bogus contract and then come away with a high 4th round pick from the Titans next year when Goodell denies PacMan then turn around and sign him anyways when he is reinstated.

As idiotic as it is, I would say it's actually brilliant!:lmao2:

tar_heel16

Reaction score
Actually, they're wrong because a fourth this year is equal in value to a third next year, so if Pacman isn't reinstated, they win.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
tar_heel16;2060322 said:
Actually, they're wrong because a fourth this year is equal in value to a third next year, so if Pacman isn't reinstated, they win.

huh, I'm sorry, that confuses me.

TEUFELI

Reaction score
tar_heel16;2060322 said:

huh???

Big Dakota

Reaction score
tar_heel16;2060322 said:

4th this year is equal to a 5th next, but i know you know that and just typed it wrong, right.

tar_heel16

Reaction score
OK, so we gave up a fourth rounder to the Titans. Now, if Pacman is not reinstated this year, we get a fourth rounder back in 2009.

Now in terms of market value, a 2008 4th rounder is equal in value to a 2009 3rd rounder. Heck, we even saw that today.

So their argument is flawed in the sense that if Pacman is not reinstated, we are the ones who wind up losing value, because essentially we would lose a 2008 4th rounder and gain a 2009 4th rounder. While their 2009 4th rounder will inevitably be higher than our 2008 4th rounder, they still gain some value.

Is that clear enough?

Eskimo

Reaction score
HomeOfLegends;2060333 said:
huh, I'm sorry, that confuses me.

Everyone wants their picks now. To be able to get a draft pick a year early, the standard convention is to have to give back a pick a round earlier the next year. It also ensures the team who gave away the pick this year will get a better pick next year than the one they just gave up as it is in a higher round.

tar_heel16

Reaction score
Big Dakota;2060352 said:
4th this year is equal to a 5th next, but i know you know that and just typed it wrong, right.
Sorry buddy, but you're the one who has it backwards.

Big Dakota

Reaction score
tar_heel16;2060353 said:
OK, so we gave up a fourth rounder to the Titans. Now, if Pacman is not reinstated this year, we get a fourth rounder back in 2009.

Now in terms of market value, a 2008 4th rounder is equal in value to a 2009 3rd rounder. Heck, we even saw that today.

So their argument is flawed in the sense that if Pacman is not reinstated, we are the ones who wind up losing value, because essentially we would lose a 2008 4th rounder and gain a 2009 4th rounder. While their 2009 4th rounder will inevitably be higher than our 2008 4th rounder, they still gain some value.

Is that clear enough?

Sorry, but you are wrong. A pick one year removed is worth one round less. But hey, what dom i know as a 22 year draftnik?

Pappa Cheeto

Reaction score
Big Dakota;2060359 said:
Sorry, but you are wrong. A pick one year removed is worth one round less. But hey, what dom i know as a 22 year draftnik?

Right, so a 3rd round pick next year (one year removed) is worth a 4th from this year (one round less). Right?

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
Big Dakota;2060359 said:

You are correct that a pick one year removed is worth one round less, but that only proves tar heel's point.

Next year's fourth round pick is worth one round less than this year's fourth round pick.

Therefore the 2009 fourth round pick is worth 2008's fifth rounder.

If Pacman is never reinstated we will have traded a 2008 4th rounder for the equivalent of a 2008 fifth rounder.

Look at it this way, if instead of giving the Titan's a 2008 4th rounder, what would have we had to have given them to give them equal value? A 2009 3rd rounder or a 2009 5th rounder? The answer is clear, a 2009 3rd rounder.

TEUFELI

Reaction score
tar_heel16;2060353 said:

Is that clear enough?

No, that is not clear at all? What in the hell is going on here? Is this Narnia?

tskyler

Reaction score
TEUFELI;2060417 said:
No, that is not clear at all? What in the hell is going on here? Is this Narnia?

Ok, let's do it another way... Let's give each round in the draft a dollar value. 1st round for 2008 is $100 second is $90 and so on. So, we gave the Titans $70 for pacman (4th round this year) Next years draft picks are worth $10 less (because teams want production now) So, if they give us back a 4th round. We receive $60 in value. We already gave them $70, so we lost $10. We would only have been even if they gave us a 3rd round in 2009, (Worth $70)

Now, Jerry could do better on the trade in one particular scenario. If Goddell doesn't reinstate PacMan in 2008 or not in 2008 in time for Pacman to reach the minimum playing time, and then reinstates him later. Pacman would cost Jerry the $10 difference between the rounds or probably the equivalent of a 7th rounder and would have Pacman for the length of his deal. Not a bad deal for Jerry but definitely better for the titans than releasing him with no compensation, no return of incentives already earned as part of the new contract, and the additional lockeroom distraction dealing with Pacman questions from the press. But still not the 2008 4th + 2009 6th if reinstated.

RainMan

Makin' It Rain
Reaction score
Jerry has too much time on his hands if he really construed this scheme. Sneaky as heck, but still.

tskyler

Reaction score
RainMan;2060483 said:
Jerry has too much time on his hands if he really construed this scheme. Sneaky as heck, but still.

Not really blasting this comment but I would be very worried if every GM including Houston didn't think about these scenario's. I would think this is the essence of the GM's job?