Long-term question: Would you take a QB in the first round?

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
I would draft a QB in the first round, just not in the Top 10 picks.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would not take a QB in the first round and I will give some reasons why.

We have needs at other positions like WR and we still have a questionable situation at places like Saftey and some LB spots on defense. We also have questions with some of our O-Lineman for the future.

IF we had all of the positions covered like WR, LB, O-Line, Saftey and so on, covered as the idea that most of our backups at that position show so much promise that they could be starters on other teams and future starters for us...it might be different.

So at this point I don't see us taking a QB in the first round. That does not mean we could not take one on the first day if a good prospect fell to the say the third.

Now say 3-4 years from now maybe you consider it. Because you would probably be reaching the end of the current contract with Romo. He would be a little older and that would still give you a year or two to groom the QB.

But right now, in the First round...I would have to say no.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
Maualuga.

Unless Romo shows signs of wear in the next three or four years, we get our QB's on day two of the draft and hope for the best, IMO.

Reaction score
tomson75;2268606 said:
Maualuga.

Unless Romo shows signs of wear in the next three or four years, we get our QB's on day two of the draft and hope for the best, IMO.

He is just what this team needs... he would be a perfect replacement for Zach and would be a linebacker that actulaly plays with emotion, which would be rare for this team.

Brandon

Benched
Reaction score
The Colts and Pats haven't drafted a QB of the future yet and both of their QBs are in their early 30s, Romo is still in his 20s why would you wste a high pick on a QB who will never play and eventually leave?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Im on the get Colt McCoy and groom him bandwaggon but I will discuss this a lot when ever he leaves so I wont go into to much detail now.

I just know because you get hurt once doesn't mean your frail.

I also think once NFL Scouts run film on him he is going to go higher than a lot of you guys think.

Colt McCoy is a one man army and I dont think a lot of you just really know how good he is.

Im not a Texas fan either.

McCordsville Cowboy;2268617 said:
He is just what this team needs... he would be a perfect replacement for Zach and would be a linebacker that actulaly plays with emotion, which would be rare for this team.

Thats who I would love Dallas to get in this upcoming draft.

Malaluga is going to be a great pro but he will be long gone by the time we pick.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think that really depends on who the QB is and how the team feels about him. I think in the situation we are in Dallas would be better off taking a QB in the 3rd or 4th rd if there is one to their liking

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31;2268445 said:
Colt McCoy won't last 5 minutes in the NFL. He is frail

he came into college frail...and after two seasons of getting injured, one was a neck injury....but he played through it...he has bulked up nicely.

also, considering he will be merely a backup for a while, he has plenty of time to get entrenched in the Cowboys strength and conditioning program.

Romo was small when he came to the NFL as well, and look at his toughness. He can take some good hits and keep coming back. Colt has this kind of mentality.

Reaction score
CATCH17;2268624 said:
Im on the get Colt McCoy and groom him bandwaggon but I will discuss this a lot when ever he leaves so I wont go into to much detail now.

I just know because you get hurt once doesn't mean your frail.

I also think once NFL Scouts run film on him he is going to go higher than a lot of you guys think.

Colt McCoy is a one man army and I dont think a lot of you just really know how good he is.

Im not a Texas fan either.

Thats who I would love Dallas to get in this upcoming draft.

Malaluga is going to be a great pro but he will be long gone by the time we pick.

Maybe .... then again maybe not...

If he runs a 4.75+ at his pro day he will slip. Just like the Puz slipped. If he does , he will be a steal.

Walker

Texas Ranger
Reaction score
In 5 years I wouldn't mind drafting one, and expecting him to play in the 2nd year unless Romo still going strong. If Romo stays healthy he still has at least 7 years of him because he doesn't have all that wear and tear from those who get drafted and thrown into the game.

FCBarca

Reaction score
No way...Romo wasn't a first rounder and the league is littered with wasted #1 picks at QB...You can find gems in later rounds just about every season...I trust Garrett will unearth one ala Payton.

I'd like to see a real deal Holyfield LB picked early

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
DawnOfANewD;2268698 said:
Maybe if we had 2 1st-round picks.

I wouldnt even with 2 first round picks...I would go OL and LB or LB and OL.....depending on who was available.

BTW nice avatar.......:D