Long term, who are the potential cuts this offseason?

Sydla

Reaction score
I was playing around with the Over the Cap website and looking at 2018.

Now there are guys who could be restructured to create more cap space - Frederick, maybe Dez, etc.

But then there are some guys who could give us a savings if cut. Note, I am not suggesting they all be cut, just listing the ones for which there would be a decent savings:

Witten - saves $6.5MM with no dead money
Beasley - saves $3.35MM, $1MM dead money
Bryant - saves $8.0MM with $8.5MM in dead money
Mayowa - saves $2.75MM with $1.1MM in dead money
Hanna - saved $2.75MM with $750M in dead money

Scandrick and Crawford are two popular names you see mentioned that could be cut but they provide little cap relief unless you deem them June 1 cuts, I believe.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mayowa could be cut if a cheaper replacement is found. Otherwise I don't see any of the other names you listed being cut. None offer significant enough savings. The popular name will be Dez but he needs to take a pay cut not actually be cut.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Witten is not going anywhere unless he decides to retire. His role may diminish some, but given who he is to the team and that he provides veteran leadership, has a good relationship with teammates and, most importantly, is playing just about every offensive down this season, he's worth what they are paying him even beyond the catches.

Beasley is not going anywhere. Switzer is not as good as Beasley, at least not at this point, and Beasley's lower production this year have had little to do with his ability, but more so to defenses taking him out of plays and Dak not seeing him when he is open. He's also the "sure hands" guy for punts inside the 20 yard line.

Bryant is likely not going anywhere. The Cowboys know that despite his drops and such, teams still double cover him. I do not see them letting him go until they have someone they believe can replace that role on the team, and I think that player will have to be on the team for at least a year before that happens and we do not have that player right now. I do think they'll restructure his contract, but not like many fans hope as it will likely just be an extension to lower the cap hit with the idea they'll deal with dead money issue when the situation calls for it.

The rest of the players you mentioned will depend heavily on the continued progress of the young players and the off-season acquisitions from the draft and free agency.

Sydla

Reaction score
Witten should be cut or he has to take a massive paycut.......... like trim that thing $4-5MM.

This is where smart teams put emotion aside and do what's best for the organization. I am not sure the Cowboys are capable of that.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mayowa could be cut if a cheaper replacement is found. Otherwise I don't see any of the other names you listed being cut. None offer significant enough savings. The popular name will be Dez but he needs to take a pay cut not actually be cut.

Randy Gregory? He could push some one off the roster. Havn't heard Mayowa's name called much this year, so not even sure how he is performing.

Yeah we get all the cut Dez stuff now, the off season could be unbearable about it.
Maybe there should be a temporary "cut Dez Zone" so the front thread page is not full of them.....:laugh:

marius

Reaction score
the real deal here its, take a best WR in this coming draft (the perfect for me its courtland sutton) and make a post june 1 cut to dez, that will save 12.5 millions in 2018 and 2019, that could be great. and with that saved money sign another free agent WR like allen robinton from jaguars, or jarvis landry from dolphins, or davante adams froms GB, or sammy walkins from rams, and can resign players like d lawrence, irvin, hitchens and can make a long term contrac to to zack martin, also cut mayowa and hanna, post june 1 cut to scandrick and crawford could be a good idea too.

MileyDancer

Reaction score
Witten should be cut or he has to take a massive paycut.......... like trim that thing $4-5MM.

This is where smart teams put emotion aside and do what's best for the organization. I am not sure the Cowboys are capable of that.
They absolutely are not, and in this case I can't fault them too much; it's Jason Witten.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
They absolutely are not, and in this case I can't fault them too much; it's Jason Witten.
It shouldn't matter if it's Jason Witten. When it's time to move on (which it has been for a couple seasons now in this case), show the player the door. This mindset that Witten is practically some kind of holy figure needs to stop.

Sydla

Reaction score
the real deal here its, take a best WR in this coming draft (the perfect for me its courtland sutton) and make a post june 1 cut to dez, that will save 12.5 millions in 2018 and 2019, that could be great. and with that saved money sign another free agent WR like allen robinton from jaguars, or jarvis landry from dolphins, or davante adams froms GB, or sammy walkins from rams, and can resign players like d lawrence, irvin, hitchens and can make a long term contrac to to zack martin, also cut mayowa and hanna, post june 1 cut to scandrick and crawford could be a good idea too.

You cant use June 1 money saved until after June 1.

Sydla

Reaction score

And that's my point about emotion. Paying Witten $6.5MM is an emotional, poor choice on a team that should be looking to create cap space to get a few key free agents in here to supplement the roster and 2018 draft.

I love Witten. I love the Cowboys more. Witten being cut or taking a huge pay cut is better for the team.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
That's pretty much my standing on Dez. I want him to take a paycut, and the team to draft a potential new #1 WR, but I very much want Dez to remain on the team

LittleD

Reaction score
That's pretty much my standing on Dez. I want him to take a paycut, and the team to draft a potential new #1 WR, but I very much want Dez to remain on the team

IMVHO, you can want all you like but Dez is not going to take any kind of pay cut. His agent would have a fit. Player's rarely take a pay cut, they ask to be released so they can
get the same money with another team.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I was playing around with the Over the Cap website and looking at 2018.

Now there are guys who could be restructured to create more cap space - Frederick, maybe Dez, etc.

But then there are some guys who could give us a savings if cut. Note, I am not suggesting they all be cut, just listing the ones for which there would be a decent savings:

Witten - saves $6.5MM with no dead money
Beasley - saves $3.35MM, $1MM dead money
Bryant - saves $8.0MM with $8.5MM in dead money
Mayowa - saves $2.75MM with $1.1MM in dead money
Hanna - saved $2.75MM with $750M in dead money

Scandrick and Crawford are two popular names you see mentioned that could be cut but they provide little cap relief unless you deem them June 1 cuts, I believe.
I think these players have seen their last days in dallas
Butler
Mayowa
Hanna
Durant
Morris

witten plays his last year in dallas and retires
Beasley stays
Bryant stays

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Beasley better not get cut! Dude is a player.

MileyDancer

Reaction score
It shouldn't matter if it's Jason Witten. When it's time to move on (which it has been for a couple seasons now in this case), show the player the door. This mindset that Witten is practically some kind of holy figure needs to stop.
And that's my point about emotion. Paying Witten $6.5MM is an emotional, poor choice on a team that should be looking to create cap space to get a few key free agents in here to supplement the roster and 2018 draft.

I love Witten. I love the Cowboys more. Witten being cut or taking a huge pay cut is better for the team.
I agree with both of you. I'm just saying, Witten makes it a little more difficult than most players to NOT have some emotion invested in the decision.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
IMVHO, you can want all you like but Dez is not going to take any kind of pay cut. His agent would have a fit. Player's rarely take a pay cut, they ask to be released so they can
get the same money with another team.
If after the last three seasons (including this one), he isn't willing to take a paycut, then that's fine - he can be shown the door, also.

Again, I want Dez on this team, but his current/recent production to pay ratio is asinine.