Look for a New CBA...

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
...to be announced sometime between this afternoon and tomorrow afternoon, or they will agree to extend the Free Agency period to give themselves more time to hammer out final details.

I am not hearing this from any source. Just reading the tea leaves.

Here's what I am reading...

Jerry Jones (one of the reported dissident owners) expects a deal to get done. That indicates to me that he knows that the last remaining issues are nearing agreement.

Daniel Snyder (another reported dissident owner) has a team that if the CBA is not extended will go right in the crapper. He's not going to allow this. Why would he?

The owners as a group know that a work stoppage hurts their product. So does the NFLPA and neither side wants that. Without this extension a work stoppage looms in 2008.

In order to prevent a work stoppage via lockout by the owners the NFLPA would have to decertify. They don't want that.

No CBA would mean that the legality of the NFT Draft would be challenged and likely abolished by a court of law. No way do the owners want that.

Finally the kicker for me. This afternoon the owners are scheduled to meet via a conference call to discuss the remaining issues. If they are close enough that face to face meetings aren't required then they are as close as Jerry hints.

The only remaining questions for me are...

1. Will they extend Free Agency or simply announce a new deal?

2. Once they have accord via the majority needed, how long before they announce this?

3. What will the cap be? The projected $95 million from the current agreement, or a higher number with the new agreement?

Anyway, that's what I am reading in the tea leaves. I couldn't find my genuine Johnny Carson "Karnak the Magnificent" turban or my crystal ball. So I was reduced to the gypsy methods of divination.

Your thoughts are welcome as always.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
I agree, a lockout, which would happen if both sides dont' reach an agreement, is not good for either side

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
I believe a deal will get done because of the differences in Upshaws language between late last week (where he said a deal was very unlikely to happen and make it seem like the door was closed) and now:
www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/27/AR2006022701245.html

"We don't have a deal," Upshaw said. "It's hard to say if we'll get there by Wednesday or not. We're not there yet, but you keep trying until the time runs out. That's why we're still meeting."

A league official said there was no agreement between Tagliabue and Upshaw, but the commissioner was readying for a final negotiating push. The owner of one team, speaking on the condition of anonymity because talks were at such a sensitive stage, said he had been told that negotiations had resulted in "some progress but no agreement."

Wheat

Philosopher
Reaction score
Hostile said:
...to be announced sometime between this afternoon and tomorrow afternoon, or they will agree to extend the Free Agency period to give themselves more time to hammer out final details.

Here's what I am reading...

Jerry Jones (one of the reported dissident owners) expects a deal to get done. That indicates to me that he knows that the last remaining issues are nearing agreement.

Daniel Snyder (another reported dissident owner) has a team that if the CBA is not extended will go right in the crapper. He's not going to allow this. Why would he?

The owners as a group know that a work stoppage hurts their product. So does the NFLPA and neither side wants that. Without this extension a work stoppage looms in 2008.

In order to prevent a work stoppage via lockout by the owners the NFLPA would have to decertify. They don't want that.

No CBA would mean that the legality of the NFT Draft would be challenged and likely abolished by a court of law. No way do the owners want that.

Finally the kicker for me. This afternoon the owners are scheduled to meet via a conference call to discuss the remaining issues. If they are close enough that face to face meetings aren't required then they are as close as Jerry hints.

The only remaining questions for me are...

1. Will they extend Free Agency or simply announce a new deal?

2. Once they have accord via the majority needed, how long before they announce this?

3. What will the cap be? The projected $95 million from the current agreement, or a higher number with the new agreement?

Anyway, that's what I am reading in the tea leaves. I couldn't find my genuine Johnny Carson "Karnak the Magnificent" turban or my crystal ball. So I was reduced to the gypsy methods of divination.

Your thoughts are welcome as always.

I think two big things will happen.

The league Min Cap will go up. So teams can't sit on 20mil under the cap. Also, I think the cap for this year will go up higher than even the 108mil that Maske says. Maybe 110mil.

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
I've always been of the belief that a deal will get done. I don't see them allowing an uncapped year in '07 and the possibility of never having a cap again.
And there's about 10 teams including Washington who would be totally screwed this season if a deal isn't worked out.

I heard on the NFL Network last night that the owners will know by 4pm Wednesday if there will be an agreement or not. If there is an agreement, then FA will be pushed back a week or two so they can wrap up all the final details.

So, I fully expect they will come to some type of deal within the next day and a half.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
Wheat said:
The league Min Cap will go up. So teams can't sit on 20mil under the cap. Also, I think the cap for this year will go up higher than even the 108mil that Maske says. Maybe 110mil.
Yes, I really do hope they fix some of the loop holes. Teams like the Cardinals and Eagles sit 20mil under the cap each year and often do not spend their alottment. Furthermore, the vogue thing to do now is create unlikely to be earned incentives to give the perception that you are using your cap space, only to defer it into another year.

As to what you said Hos, I think Jerry's statements are the best reason to be optimistic. He stands to be hurt more than most owners, so if he thinks there is a compromise in the works that he can live with, I would assume most other owners feel likewise.

TheHustler

Reaction score
Clayton on ESPN says the owners are about $4 billion apart on revenue sharing, expects them to split the difference at $2 billion and a deal to get done.

fortdick

Reaction score
Hostile said:

Your conclusion is persuasive. From what I have heard, it sounds good.

But I hope the Commanders don't skate on their cap problems just the same!:p:

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
Wheat said:
I think two big things will happen.

I heard it would probably go up to $102-104 million. But, I wouldn't be surprised if it's higher and the Commanders get away with their gamble.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
I would like to see it go up to about 105, at one point I heard that it would go up from 110 to 115. I have heard conflicting reports where we are 2-3 million under cap, to 9 million to 15 million. I think that was with incentives like OG contract, etc.

Say it goes up to about 105 to 110, and we are around 9 million to 15, with supposed cap before cap problem, of 92. That would give us an extra 12 million or more. Also, at same time, would give Commanders and Broncos same amount. I would admit like to see the Commanders in trouble, have to cut some key players. I am still waiting on their top safety maybe going to prison. That will hurt them too. Give us a leg up on them.

Also, with the extra 10 million or so, that would give us at least 20 to 25 million under the cap to sign some key players like Venderati Kicker from Patriots, sign TO too, (sure he is a troubled player, but just sign him for a year. He knows now he has to play good to get his reputation back to being a top player. We also, either trade Glover or keep him, and get a good backup OT like Williams or Fabini, along with a good safety like Chavois from vikings or Hope from Vikings.

Then we could really load up in draft on defense like Carpenter or Manny Lawson. A good offensive player like Spencer in 2nd round, or maybe even McNeil or Winston, I heard they are falling because of injury. Maybe if lucky, by trading down in 1st round, and trading Glover for a 2nd rounder, we can get Hester CB WR from Miami, or that Manning, quick fast DB safety that runs the 40 in 4.3. IN third round go for best player. Then lookout, Super Bowl here we come.

arglebargle

Reaction score
TheHustler said:
Clayton on ESPN says the owners are about $4 billion apart on revenue sharing, expects them to split the difference at $2 billion and a deal to get done.

I betcha that's so. It sounds like they have had a structure for doing the deal in place, but they have been playing chicken with the exact numbers.

Just using the deadline to create the needed urgency. And of course, 'Drama!'

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Nice post.....your bring up some very interesting agenda......I tend to agree with your assessment.

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
I hate the Skins, and if bad **** happens to them I don't really care. In fact, I'd laugh.

At the same time, I don't want to beat them and have to hear, well we had 15-20 rookies playing. I want revenge, and I want it legit.

So either scenario wouldn't really bug me all too much. Aren't the Skins at about 120mil right now?

Pokes28

Reaction score
The skins cap situation is more a problem of the lack of years they are able to push out bonus money. If a new CBA were to be signed but the cap stayed at $95 million, they could get under that very easily.

As it is, the Skins are going to get away with this. I would say they are fortunate, but reality is that they have always played the cap smarter than the reporters that cover it. Every year they are going to be in "cap hell." Reality is that they never have been and if this new deal comes in, they won't be this year.

I expect most teams will use this opportunity to get their cap situations in order and most will simply start paying their bonuses all in one year like the Eagles and Vikings have done the past few seasons. If they have to push money to the future, they buy it back the first chance they can.

David Harrell - Pokes
dwh

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile said:
The tea leaves lied.

:shoot3:

:laugh2:

Well I have to say I did not think it would come to this...and who knows maybe something will change....just does not look good at this time.

You would think these guys would learn after other years of similar things and the recent situation with hockey.

Oh well greed is a wonderous thing I guess.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile said:
The tea leaves lied.

:shoot3:
Oh great, I guess this means the lottery numbers you gave me are worthless too?

:bang2:

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Reality said:
Oh great, I guess this means the lottery numbers you gave me are worthless too?

:bang2:
I gotta get a crystal ball that works or that Karnak hat.